LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
good buy?

Check this out..
Land Rover
I don't know enough about range rovers. would this be worth picking up and turning into a mudding truck?

2002 SE7 CDL installed, rear ashcroft locker, 2" OME, custom bumpers, sliders, and safari snorkel on 285's
1990 RR County
-Columbus Oh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Sorry.. link is bad.
Must be gone.

2002 SE7 CDL installed, rear ashcroft locker, 2" OME, custom bumpers, sliders, and safari snorkel on 285's
1990 RR County
-Columbus Oh
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Link works for me. I would definitely check on those other leaks under the truck just to make sure it's worth getting into. Your level of mechanical experience should be a major consideration in the decision. As for me, I tend to look at the fact that you could easily recoup the $800 from selling it in pieces if you had to... Just from what can be seen in the photos.

'93 Range Rover SWB Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Trooper

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
A bad battery and a leaking steering gear box won't require wheel chocks. The seller isn't being up front about what all is needed. I'd be leary, but it's worth checking out. The paint is in desperate need of a good cut and polish. That Portofino Red can certainly be brought back to life. Single stage paint oxidizes like that when not cared for.

Colin
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
That literally looks like my old 1990 portofino red range rovers twin when i first bought it!

It could be worth it but, it looks like it has a more severe leak than the steering box so definitely investigate what all is leaking on it. I would try to get it jump started so you can at least hear it run, and take it for a test drive. What ever you do, i probably woundnt even give him more than $500 if it doesnt run either.

Check out this website too, it should help you out.
RESEARCH CLASSIC

1990 RRC Portofino Red, 234K
SOLD
1995 RRC SWB Alpine White
GDE Bumper, Hella HID's, Dif Guards, 2" OME lift
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's $800, so as long as it's not not rusty you are safe. Better to try and talk him down to $500 but you need to understand that if you want a reliable, good performing Range Rover you will be dropping far more $$$ into it than the initial cost, and that's before any off road upgrades you may be thinking of.

Range Rover Classics are slowly turning into proper "classics" now and need to be purchased as such. i.e. Buy the best you can afford.

A RRC is not the cheapest vehicle to use as a 'mudding truck', even though I have one myself, I have had it for years and it has evolved.

If you must have a Land Rover product to beat off road a Discovery is a better option as far as $$ is concerned.

My 2c.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 AM
disco biscuit

Been meanin to ask about this one. Dont mean to hyjack

http://www.southeasttexas.com/autos/...cfm?id=1040434
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I’ll go have a look.
I own a discovery so don't know much about the classics..
Is my assumption correct that they are/can be bad ass off-roading machines?

1990 RR County
-Columbus Oh
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco biscuit View Post
Been meanin to ask about this one. Dont mean to hyjack

southeasttexas.com - Autos
Hey! Thats mine! LOL! Price has been reduced! Come check it out!

Eric The Red

93 Range Rover Classic

-3"Rovertym progressive lift
-Rovertym 4-link
-Rovertym Trailing arms
-Rovertym extended brakelines
-Rovertym Sliders
-Rovertym Rear Bumper
-24 spline axle swap
-terrafima +2 shocks
-8000k HID light conversion
-lt-230 transfer case
We will never "arrive" so the goal is to keep moving forward on our journey so we can periodically declare, "I am not what I want to be, but I am not what I used to be!"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM

Landy96, That's funny because I saw your rover for sale the other day on craigslist (I think.) I'm originally from "The Golden Triangle." Grew up in Orange.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Old Rangies make great off roaders. Tough and simple to work on with fantastic visibility. They are a little lower, shorter and lighter than a DI and, I personally think they look much better. They only thing the Disco has over a RRC off road is the LT230 T'case as the later Rangies all had the BW case.

Much of the mechanical bits from a DI will work on a RRC but the trim and sheet metal is getting hard to come by in decent condition. A proper Range Rover in good condition is a very nice place to be.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

Matt.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
disco biscuit

I haven't wheeled with other rover owners to validate a claim it makes a good mud vehicle. I can tell you from watching you tube videos...The RRC seems to make it through mud holes better. One of the reasons I was considering getting one. But my Disco fits through the woods better and I'm already attached.

Maybe I'll run into one of these Texans sooner or later and be able to compare better.

@Diver...where'd you move to now.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm in Houston, but get back to Beaumont/Orange every two weeks or so. Still have family there.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
disco biscuit

I just clicked on the hlrc link in ur sig. First time seein them. Ima friend all ya'll new found texans.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=disco biscuit;427149]I haven't wheeled with other rover owners to validate a claim it makes a good mud vehicle. I can tell you from watching you tube videos...The RRC seems to make it through mud holes better./QUOTE]

In all honesty, there's not much to choose between them off road. I have both, and have wheeled both in stock and modified form. The Rangie will fit under things better and feels more stable off camber because the roof is lower and made from aluminium. It's about 3" shorter and has slightly better approach/departure angle's and is just a little lighter. None of this makes a huge difference once you get used to the vehicle. I prefer the old Rangies myself but good used parts are easier to come by for a Discovery.

Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in