Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/)
-   Range Rover Classic (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Heated Seats Quick/Easy Fix! (https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f8/heated-seats-quick-easy-fix-14934/)

Sign Guy 01-15-2007 03:16 PM

Heated Seats Quick/Easy Fix!

For all of those whose heated seats no longer work there is a VERY easy way to at least get the seat back toasty again.

1. Raise both seat rears up as far as they will go.
2. Push down on the leather at the rear of the bottom cushion and remove the retaining clip along the bottom edge of the seat to reveal the back of the bottom seat cushion.
3. Clip the black and red wires coming out of the bottom cushion making sure to leave enough wire to be able to crimp on to (in case you want to ever go through fixing all of the breaks in the bottom cushion)
4. Join the wires together with a barrel crimp.
5. Bump the fuse up from a 20 to a 25.
6. Replace the retaining clip.
7. Toast your kidneys with warmth!! :clap:

Total time:10 minutes at most

BTW, you probably want to check that fuse FIRST!

Bill
93 LWB Westminster

campbell 01-15-2007 03:21 PM

No crap??? I am going to be late for work tommorow trying that out!!
Thanks- awesome.

daway 01-16-2007 06:31 AM

wow, good idea! how long have u had the heated seats working like this? which fuse do u bump up from the 20 to 25, does that fuse work anything else and if so would it damage anything that runs on the fuse? do u have any pics of your sets you took? also which heaters in the seat will work after connecting the red and black wires

Sign Guy 01-16-2007 08:10 AM

I did the fix yesterday. I didn't take any pics, it is really straight forward. I guess one more step would be to pull the plug that the comes out of seat and runs into below the center console to check for continuity and make sure that it is a broken element in the seat bottom that is causing your problem. The fuse is the #1 or #6 in the row of fuses under the right seat. It is the one furthest to the left. The yellow one. The only other items on the fuse (as indicated in the manual) are the cigarette lighters. I don't smoke so I don't know if you use them it might blow the 25 fuse. I can run both seat heaters, cell phone charger and XM2GO with current set up. As far as I can tell all of the panels in the seat back heat up. I had on a semi thick fleece shirt this morning and had to turn the seat heater off after about five minutes b/c I was too warm.

daway 01-16-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sign Guy
I did the fix yesterday. I didn't take any pics, it is really straight forward. I guess one more step would be to pull the plug that the comes out of seat and runs into below the center console to check for continuity and make sure that it is a broken element in the seat bottom that is causing your problem. The fuse is the #1 or #6 in the row of fuses under the right seat. It is the one furthest to the left. The yellow one. The only other items on the fuse (as indicated in the manual) are the cigarette lighters. I don't smoke so I don't know if you use them it might blow the 25 fuse. I can run both seat heaters, cell phone charger and XM2GO with current set up. As far as I can tell all of the panels in the seat back heat up. I had on a semi thick fleece shirt this morning and had to turn the seat heater off after about five minutes b/c I was too warm.

thanks for the info, well look at the seat soon. i dont smoke either but i do plug in my cell phone alot.

sven 01-16-2007 08:47 AM

I did a similar thing, no seat cushion removal required.

Procedure for Bypassing the Seat Bottom Element: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet.../seatheat.html

Sign Guy 01-17-2007 09:36 AM

Here is a question I hadn't thought of and doesn't seem to have been addressed, since we are only working with half of the original heating matrix are we also only dealing with half the resistance? And if so, would that not cause there to be more currnet to flow through the remaining matrix of wires? Which to my understanding would cause the element to become hotter than originally designed. If my logic is solid does anyone know what grade/rate of resistor I would need to add to the wiring in order to mock the resistance created by the element in the seat cushion bottom? What brought this to mind is the fact the my seat back feels WAY warmer than the manuals stated 100F. ANY THOUGHTS????

campbell 01-17-2007 09:45 AM

I was going to do this today, but now i am a little concerned.

Sign Guy 01-17-2007 10:19 AM

I'm just going to continue to use my switch for a thermostat unitl the weekend when I have a chance to get the resistance in the seat back matrix and get a range of resistors that are in the vicinity to install where I jumped the wires going into the bottom cushion. If no one else can post what resistors should be used or what the correct fix should be by then I will post my results with pictures.

daway 01-17-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sign Guy
I'm just going to continue to use my switch for a thermostat unitl the weekend when I have a chance to get the resistance in the seat back matrix and get a range of resistors that are in the vicinity to install where I jumped the wires going into the bottom cushion. If no one else can post what resistors should be used or what the correct fix should be by then I will post my results with pictures.

let us know wht u come up w/, i cant do that for sometime. the temp up in MN is -5F w/windchills! in the above link (rangerovers.net) they did the samething (override the bottom heater to the back) but did not talk about problems. does your switch auto shut off at all? do u have away to check the temp on the back seat?

sven 01-17-2007 11:23 AM

I read somewhere that the cushion should be at 1 ohm when you test it. It was either the RAVE CD or rr.net.

daway 01-17-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sven
I read somewhere that the cushion should be at 1 ohm when you test it. It was either the RAVE CD or rr.net.

i read the samething on rr.net.
also do u think that u need to change the fuse from 20 to 25? (just a thought). if u have one of those lazer pointer temp readers or etc then u could see what the temp of the seat is at.

sven 01-17-2007 11:46 AM

When I did mine, I didnt touch the fuses. Whatever was inthere is still in there.

I wish I had the fancy temp laser, but I dont. It does get hot but I wouldnt say it gets too hot.

campbell 01-17-2007 11:55 AM

Just to make sure... I clip the red and black, then join the four into one right?

daway 01-17-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sven
When I did mine, I didnt touch the fuses. Whatever was inthere is still in there.

I wish I had the fancy temp laser, but I dont. It does get hot but I wouldnt say it gets too hot.

do the heated seat have a auto shut off switch like the heated windows. my old saab and my moms bens have auto shut off switchs that would turn off when it got to hot.
did u do your like sign guy and rr.net?
this -15 up here is killing me (lol). rrc heating system/big windows is never that great when it hits 10F or below. i wish i could work on my heated seats!