how to check cv axel? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
how to check cv axel?

I have feeling that my front right CV axle is broken because my truck wobbles badly at higher speed left turns. My rover also seems to only be one-wheel drive when i go off roading. I appears that the front left wheel is always doing all the work when offroading. Whats the best way to check the operation of the CV. Is it the same way to test the viscous coupler?

1990 RRC Portofino Red, 234K
SOLD
1995 RRC SWB Alpine White
GDE Bumper, Hella HID's, Dif Guards, 2" OME lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:41 PM
cdb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unless you have aftermarket lockers and are locked, only one wheel per axle is driven.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Same goes with the non locking center differential. Hope you didn't get stuck out in the desert. Power to the front and rear axles act the same as a single limited slip axle. How's the paint coming along Classic?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There are a few different ways to test fro this-seeing as how no one answered the question.

First off, find an empty parking lot, begin driving in ever-decreasing radius circles, clockwise, anti-clockwise. If at one point, you encounter a repetitive clicking from one front side or another, straighten the wheels and head for home as repeating this will eventually cause the CV joint to explode and cost more.

If while you;re doing this, it seems as though one wheel is skidding around the corners (outside wheel most likely) it is an indication of a viscous coupler problem.

Lastly, if one remove the front wheels and "hub" caps, and grabs ahold of the exposed CV joint axle, if you can pull it toward you, it's likely you've got a problem on that side.

I've probably got all the parts you'll need to put it back together, new/used.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
There are a few different ways to test fro this-seeing as how no one answered the question.
Figured you'd have a blunt answer.
I honestly hardly ever notice the front axle pull. I've felt it boogieing out of a wash but as far as driving slow out of sand from a stop it's the LR the wheel doing all the work. Seems the RF wheel pulls if it ever kicks in. Hard as hell to drive straight when it does.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Lastly, if one remove the front wheels and "hub" caps, and grabs ahold of the exposed CV joint axle, if you can pull it toward you, it's likely you've got a problem on that side.

I've probably got all the parts you'll need to put it back together, new/used.
I took the wheel off the front right wheel, and noticed the dust cap was missing. I tried pulling on the end of the cv, and it moved about 1/16th of an inch. Was i supposed to take off the flange that the dust cap was attached to in order to properly diagnose this? If it is indeed broken what are your prices, shipped to scottsdale, AZ 85254? Im gunna go test for clicking in the parking lot right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaszxpolkmncvb View Post
Same goes with the non locking center differential. Hope you didn't get stuck out in the desert. Power to the front and rear axles act the same as a single limited slip axle. How's the paint coming along Classic?
Nope, i was able to get out . I havent been able to continue on with painting (or working on it too) my truck because i broke my hand two weeks ago, so paint production has come to a halt. I could continue on but, that could comprimise the quality of my work.

SOLD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaszxpolkmncvb View Post
Figured you'd have a blunt answer.
At least I'm consistent.

Nobody answered the poor man's question, somebody had to do it.

1/16" isn't too bad and probably not excessive.

Can't quote pricing until we know what's broken-if anything. I know it's uncommon, but I don't wanna sell somebody something they don't need. First off, I've probably spent the $ and don't wanna have to refund the $ and I just don't like to do business pushing stuff somebody doesn't need.

Yes, I am still alive, and still in the Rover parts business.
Text me for greatest likelihood of finding me.

260-804-0458
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you suspect the CV's at all the best bet is to pull it apart and take a close look. It is a simple job.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, i just got back from testing out the truck.

When i had the wheel cranked all the way going in a circle Counter & anti clockwise, the front right wheel area of the car was making a popping/grinding sound. It didnt really sound like a clicking noise though. It only came from the right side, not on left at all.

This is unrelated but either one of the FL tierods or FL radius arms bushings has failed and makes a clunking noise while turning the steering wheel.

I want to take the wheels off my truck again so i can further inspect my CV, i might have to wait a couple days, since i will require some assistance given my circumstances.

SOLD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, take it apart.

"Your only supposed to blow the BLOODY DOORS OFF" Charlie Croaker. The Italian Job. 1969.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in