keyed ignition switch broken and needs replacing - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keyed ignition switch broken and needs replacing

I have a 94 RR classic. The other day the ignition switch quit working. It would turn fully clockwise without engaging the starter and didn't have the springback in the final 1/8 turn. It turned the power on but would not turn the power off. Had to pull the negative wire at the battery. There was plenty of juice in the battery to do a remote start and get the vehicle into a garage. Pulled the steering column apart and the keyed ignition switch assembly appears to be rivetted around the steering column. Has anyone had to replace an ignition switch on one of these vehicles? Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
don't know about a 94, but this the diagram for a 95.

they look like rivits, but they are bolts with no head. use a hammer and a chisel to tap it loose/off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock, key.jpg
Views:	1966
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	31245  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
They're called shear bolts. They had normal heads on those bolts but they shear off when properly tightened to make it difficult for thieves to remove the ignition. You can either use a hammer and chisel or a dremel. The dremel will cut a slit across the top of the shear bolt allowing you to use a flat head screw driver.

Classic Rovers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

203-770-1699

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks Paul Grant and lwbblue. Now we know what we're dealing with instead of going on a hunch.
Craig
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
If its only the electrical starter ignition switch only, and not the key barrel with assembly then you should not have to remove the two sheer bolts to replace the ignition switch unless you want to change out the entire assembly. The ignition switch should be held place with a single tiny phillips head screw.

1990 RRC Portofino Red, 234K
SOLD
1995 RRC SWB Alpine White
GDE Bumper, Hella HID's, Dif Guards, 2" OME lift
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Classic4Me2. Unfortunately I think its the key barrel, feels like the tumblers are shifting preventing the key from getting its full range of movement. Craig
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM

I have to replace mine too as the spring seems to be broken. Did you try the dremel slot removal approach?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM

i have a brand new one (model no. STC 1435) - not sure if it's the correct one, i bought it for my 95 rrc but it didnt fit!) if its right, make me an offer for it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	36570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	36578  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there are mid-year differences for a 95 RRC ignition? I need to replace the ignition in my sister's truck, and dont want the above happening. I have not pulled the steering column cover off yet to look at it. The key keeps getting stuck in it. I pulled fuse #12 once and it worked, but doesnt work anymore. So I'm also not 100% sure it's the ignition, and might be the gear shift selector solenoid. Any thoughts are appreciated.

1995 RRC 25th Anniversary Edition
2005 RR L322 HSE
2005 V70R
1995 Nuke Proof Titanium Race
2010 Moots X-YBB
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalMTB View Post
Does anyone know if there are mid-year differences for a 95 RRC ignition? I need to replace the ignition in my sister's truck, and dont want the above happening. I have not pulled the steering column cover off yet to look at it. The key keeps getting stuck in it. I pulled fuse #12 once and it worked, but doesnt work anymore. So I'm also not 100% sure it's the ignition, and might be the gear shift selector solenoid. Any thoughts are appreciated.
The 1995 model year for RRC models saw no changes in the ignition switch assembly. There were no changes to the gear selector mechanism either.

Curiously, the ignition switch that the guy from 2013 bought was on for a manual transmission Discovery. For a long time, unscrupulous sellers on eBay were selling them without really making clear that it was something of a bitch to get them to work on '95 RRC's. I have heard people got them to work but I never saw one successfully installed on the hundreds of '95's I've had my hands on.

If it turns out you need either an ignition switch assembly or a gear selector assembly with a good solenoid, I have both used, in good working condition.
Cheers,
Paul

Classic Rovers

203-770-1699
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Grant View Post
The 1995 model year for RRC models saw no changes in the ignition switch assembly. There were no changes to the gear selector mechanism either.

Curiously, the ignition switch that the guy from 2013 bought was on for a manual transmission Discovery. For a long time, unscrupulous sellers on eBay were selling them without really making clear that it was something of a bitch to get them to work on '95 RRC's. I have heard people got them to work but I never saw one successfully installed on the hundreds of '95's I've had my hands on.

If it turns out you need either an ignition switch assembly or a gear selector assembly with a good solenoid, I have both used, in good working condition.
Cheers,
Paul
hey thanks Paul ... so to replace the solenoid, I need the whole assembly? Admittedly I have not even looked at RAVE or where to start with troubleshooting the solenoid. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated (from you or the community).

2005 RR L322 HSE
2005 V70R
2010 Moots X-YBB
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

This is where the gear change solenoid is located on a 1995 Range Rover Classic. To access it, you would need to remove the center console and drill out the rivets that hold the metal closing panel in place atop the transmission hump. Once the selector assembly is out, it's a PITA to then access the solenoid for removal and replacement. That's why I suggest replacing the entire shift assembly instead of just the solenoid. Another reason is cost. A new solenoid may cost you well over $300 (if you can find one) whereas you can expect to pay about $100 for a used gear selector assembly.

Frankly, I'd put my money on a bad ignition switch. It's either one of two things. First, the switch is just trashed from years of use. The tumblers are worn and the key simply can't find release. The other, more likely possibility is that the solenoid in the switch has gone bad.

Below are front and back photos of the ignition switch for your '95. Notice, on the back side the brass colored assembly that's screwed onto the tumbler assembly with two philips head screws. That's the solenoid assembly. Remove that and unplug the black and orange wiring assembly using a small flathead screwdriver to remove the black connecting end and you should no longer have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2306.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	86499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	86501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	86503   Click image for larger version

Name:	J03085.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	86505  

Classic Rovers

203-770-1699
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Frankly, I'd put my money on a bad ignition switch. It's either one of two things. First, the switch is just trashed from years of use. The tumblers are worn and the key simply can't find release. The other, more likely possibility is that the solenoid in the switch has gone bad.

Below are front and back photos of the ignition switch for your '95. Notice, on the back side the brass colored assembly that's screwed onto the tumbler assembly with two philips head screws. That's the solenoid assembly. Remove that and unplug the black and orange wiring assembly using a small flathead screwdriver to remove the black connecting end and you should no longer have a problem.
Thanks Paul, are you saying I could unplug that and the key will release (if it's a solenoid issue)? Also, or if not, do you have a nice used ignition assembly I could buy?

2005 RR L322 HSE
2005 V70R
2010 Moots X-YBB
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

If you remove the entire solenoid piece you will be able to remove the key. The thing is, and maybe someone else will have a better memory, with the solenoid out, it may be possible to remove the key when it’s in any position, including with the engine running. I can’t remember and I don’t have a complete truck here to test.

That said, it’s worth a try and if the solenoid delete poses a problem, I do have a nice ignition switch assembly that I can provide with working keys.
Cheers,
Paul

Classic Rovers

203-770-1699
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
If you remove the entire solenoid piece you will be able to remove the key. The thing is, and maybe someone else will have a better memory, with the solenoid out, it may be possible to remove the key when itís in any position, including with the engine running. I canít remember and I donít have a complete truck here to test.

That said, itís worth a try and if the solenoid delete poses a problem, I do have a nice ignition switch assembly that I can provide with working keys.
Cheers,
Paul
got it, thanks Paul for the excellent effort here. Will report back

2005 RR L322 HSE
2005 V70R
2010 Moots X-YBB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in