Lift and tires - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lift and tires

Considering 2" Terrifirma lift kit and 235/85R16 for my 1990 Classic. Has had new diffs w/ 4:11s , upgraded axles and locker in rear when I purchased it. Will this affect the self leveling suspension with the added travel and heavier springs?

Last edited by charlie2512; 06-12-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2512 View Post
Considering 2" Terrifirma lift kit and 235/85R16 for my 1990 Classic. Has had new diffs w/ 4:11s , upgraded axles and locker in rear when I purchased it. Will this affect the self leveling suspension with the added travel?
I am guessing from your comments that you still have your air suspension as that is the only self levelling device. So are you putting in spacers under the airbags to get a lift or are you putting in longer airbags?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

No air suspension, I am referring to the Boge self leveling unit mounted between the rear axle and the frame to compensate for heavy loads.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
No air suspension, I am referring to the Boge self leveling unit mounted between the rear axle and the frame to compensate for heavy loads.
I thought they stopped using the BOGE unit in the mid 1980's. The simple answer is that it won't do much unless the load is heavy enough to push the suspension below the original load height. It would be doubtful whether the BOGE unit is still operational anyhow. I have found very few that still work. If you lifted the vehicle properly through a body lift, rather than a spring lift, you would not have this issue and the vehicle would be a lot better off-road.

Look up the BOGE unit for a Defender. This is what I use on my Rangie with a slight spring lift. The Defender unit has a higher ride height, is a lot more heavy duty. I also made up a spacer for where it bolts onto the chassis that increases the ride height.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you I was also thinking a spacer to compensate for ride height increase. Anyone else with info or suggestions on their Lifted RRCs will be appreciated.

Last edited by charlie2512; 06-12-2019 at 05:15 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you I was also thinking a spacer to compensate for ride height increase. Anyone else with info or suggestions on their Lifted RRCs will be appreciated.
You can't really use a spacer on the BOGE unit unless you put spacers under the axle bump stops as well. If not if the diff was to go all the way to the bump stops it would break the BOGE unit as it would not be able to compress it enough. I have spent many hours looking at all the options. I do not really use the BOGE unit as a leveller, it is mainly kept there for better articulation of the rear axle.

Also they used a lot lighter springs on Rangies with the BOGE unit, so the "lift" springs you have purchased will assume that it is not there anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in