New guy with a few ?'s - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
No Moleste

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New guy with a few ?'s

Howdy everyone. I had a used P38 for 5 years and sold it for a L322 back in 2010. Been driving the L322 since and, knock on wood, no major catastrophes, just the usual suspension air leaks, cooling pipes bursting and electrical gremlins. We have a new to us RR on the way. I like tinkering on my cars but the L405 has a warranty and I dont have a computer degree from MIT. So the question is.....is a Classic relatively easy to work on compared to the P38/L322? From my novice stand point, working on my other RR's was straight forward and I like the idea of less computers. Whatever I get, the EAS system would go in favor of coil overs.

Any years or variants to steer clear from?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Ones with working EAS are worth more and you should keep it if you can. Not many computers to worry about. If you have an electric seat with memory there will be a computer. If you have ABS there is a computer. Outside that, there is only the one to run the motor. Not like my wife's volvo that has 23 different computers.

There are no real bad models. Of course the older they are the harder they are to get parts, but most parts are relatively easy to come by.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I think they are easy to work on...
I like what I’d call old school distributor
And coil
These are closer to the kinds of cars I had to work on when I was younger
The good thing is these forums
They are full of information
About the classics
Also they are fun to drive
Good luck with your RRC

Mike

im an american i dont speak english
1991 range rover
now parts
92 LSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
No Moleste

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. IMHO, my P38 was the last of the semi analog RR's before the L322. Only by the luck of the universe, I have managed to keep that girl running as designed. Last month it dumped the operating software for the Sat/Nav/Infotainment system. I tried to be smart and pull fuses to reset it, but it latched to a Hispanic Christian talk radio station. Finally found a link to download software on a DVD (Had to buy a box of 50 because who has a blank DVD laying around) and reload the operating system via the Nav DVD reader. This is the type of thing I dont like to do on a car.

As far as the EAS goes.....its a blessing and curse. Great when it works, frustrating and expensive when it doesnt. My ideal candidate would have no rust, coil conversion with a worn interior. The goal is to eliminate known problem areas. I thought about keeping the L322, but its a complicated ticking time bomb and want something I can take on as a fun project. I think it will happen as I have some cash and time on my hands.....but then again thats usually when I make bad choices hahaha.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Oh yeah...

“Howdy”

im an american i dont speak english
1991 range rover
now parts
92 LSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
Is a classic relatively easy to work on..That depends on the year classic you get.

The older up to 88 have the lt230 (gears)transfer case. later the Borg Warner(viscous) Most people in the forums want the LT230 transfer case, as they feel it is stronger and like the ability to "lock" it's transfer case.
I have the Borg warner it works just fine for almost all offroading, The viscous was locked up and has been replaced twice, once with a used unit and once with a new rebuilt unit from Ashcroft Tansmissions in England.
These are not cheap. It still works fine. I did however just order a rebuilt LT230 transfer case. with a steel flange'd case ATB center diff, that is still lockable. $1650.00 with shipping to California. I will never need another one of these in my lifetime. My Borg Warner has 200,000 miles and is fully functional but the Drive chain has to be stretched and the input and output shafts have got to be near stripping. I have rebuilt the engine, installed top hat piston liners, 4 jet injectors, I could go in for a long time. Went thru 5 alternators... V belt engine but serpentine belt alternator....anyway
Up to 92 the electrical is the same except for they added options thru the years so It is all basically the same wiring with newer added things every year. In 93-94 they were prepping for the later model P38 and the discovery changes, so parts, electronic controls started to change slightly, air suspension was added, (mine is coils now with 2 inch lift) alternator changed, the addition of a very primitive OBD1, which shows trouble codes and engine management indications for throttle settings and stepper motor settings.(if you have the reader program and a serial connector that fits(80$) to hook to your laptop.
My 94 has so many relays and different added fuses, I have owned this for 7 years, I am still finding fuses not mentioned in service manuals. The (Second) fuse for the cigarette lighter is doubling as the heated seat fuse, hidden under the seat in small box that you find 5 fuses in.
I have never had any strange electrical issues! I bought one that was unmolested in anyway, stock stereo etc. I love the vehicle it looks like brand new with lift and skid plates and winch rack way more stuff to list. Would I recommend one of these to my family members..not unless they were the CEO of a company. I did all the work myself over 7 years found parts in other countries, I know where to buy parts in south Africa, Australia, and countries that have no trade agreement with us that have brand new parts for very cheap. You will become the parts research master of your area..

Finally if your looking for a Vehicle to work on you are at the top of the food chain...the computers are minimal, and seem to keep on going, me too as long as the money holds out...Yes I bought a brand new Pertronix distributor as the old one broke in two..lol Gotta love a Range Rover Classic. My kids will be happy their inheritance is sitting out in the Garage. lol But the computers they are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in