New member, long time owner.*LONG* with Pictures! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up New member, long time owner.*LONG* with Pictures!

Well, long time in my opinion.

Well, to introduce myself, I'm turning 18, turning 19 in June and have been around Range Rover's since about 1995. I am a freshman at the University of Rhode Isalnd and am majoring in Computer Science and Minoring in Computer Forensics.

I have been roaming through www.rangerovers.net BBS and Rovers North's BBS, and was wondering how there was such a small following of these vehicles, but it appears there is a good amount of people here!

It all started off when my father bought a 1987 Range Rover in the color of Cassis Red, around 1995. He and my mom drove it daily until I was about 15 or so, and stopped driving it for a number of reasons, biggest one was that the steering box had gotten to sloppy to be safe on the highway and such.

So, later in the year after it had sat a winter, my dad told me that if I got it running and replaced the steering box, I could use it as my first car. He supplied the parts, and I did the work, of course with some tutoring from him. I had about 6 months before I received my license so I ended up getting it done. Unfortunately all my older pictures are missing because they are all on a currupted CD that I had them backed up on..

She was mostly stock, but she did have OE HD springs from rovers north, and Bilstein's all the way around (including damper).
Here's the pictures that I do have....
Playing around, some articulation pictures...

Obviously she was a bit rough. Notice the rusted lower tailgate, the upper tailgate we redid in plexiglass temporarily because the old glass was broken. I replaced the lower tailgate with an ebay piece, but I don't have any pictures of that. It was free to me truck though, and a learning experience for me. Who can complain about that?

Here she is with some half worn Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers approx 31-32" diameter,I took them off our 78 F250 that I had used for years doing fire wood and other odd jobs, The ford is where I first started my mechanical learning I suppose.

So, form there you can tell that I am of the off-road breed. I sunk a few times, having to be towed home due to a muddy ECU, etc.. Good fun. I eventually put some spring spreading brackets in temporarily that gave me another inch or so lift. Unfortunately all of my other pictures are on that CD.

So, after driving it for a year or so, the tranny blew its main seal, and I had to "beach the whale" for a while. I found a 1988 white Range Rover on ebay for 800 dollars and figured I could take the transmission, and part it out and come out on the positive side.
Well, took about 6 months, but I got the tranny in!
Ran great for a month, then leaving my high school the timing chain slipped and caused havoc to the engine.... So, since then (almost 2 years) I had been Roverless. I parted out the white truck, and made a couple thousand probably on parts, which was great, and I had plans to swap the engine from the 88 into the 87, but the time was a factor. Didn't get to it for a while, and was driving a volvo 740 turbo wagon, and didn't really work on it for a while.

My lifelong dream was to own a porsche, so I found a ratty old cheap Porsche 944 on ebay, and used my savings from parting the rover towards buying that, which worked great until recently blowing a headgasket, and i'm in the process of rebuilding that engine.

So, last spring or so, ( a few months after getting the porsche) i began looking in a different direction for the rover. The 87 had horrible chassis rust (we had plates welded all over to keep it holding the car togehter) and I just felt it wasn't worth the work to now move the engine over, evne though I had just spent all the time on the transmission. So I began looking for a rover with possibly a good engine, but needing interior, exterior, or suspension related work, and figured I could build that one up from mine, which was in nice shape interior and suspension wise.

I ended up finding a 1989 Range Rover (also in white) on ebay, did a little bargaining through email and got him to end the auction for 750 bucks. Engine and tranny are good, interior is great, chassis is much better than mine was (only surface rust) and the exterior was in nice shape. It was in NH (I'm in rhode island). I was excited to possibly have a 3.9L rangie now, as the 3.5 was painfully slow, as you all know. The plan was, that if it did not turn out to be worth fixing up, I could either put the 3.9 in my truck, and/or part the whole 89 out. So it turns out when we get there, there is NO floors on teh driver and passenger front, as is common, we had fiberglassed the 87's rusted out floors. This was much worse than anythign I had ever seen before though, there was NO sill panels, the door pillars were not even connected to the chassis anymore. I could see the tires through the floor. Also, the front shock towers were rusted and nolonger connected because they rusted completely through. SO the 4 hour trip home was lots of fun, you cna imagine, driving 60mph or so wiht no front shocks, dad following behind with flashers on, it was a bit of a trip, especially when the brakes temporarily disappeared halfway home, while hitting an exit ramp on 495.

So I decided to go with it. Last summer i swapped the springs and bilsteins over (all of which was only a year or two old), and swapped in my brakes, fixed a brake line, did spark plugs, wires, rotor, etc.. in engine bay, cleaned up the interior, great fun. I was leaving the floors to be worried about later, hoping I could get the whole thing ready to take over for the porsche once the winter came.

Well, of course things got delayed, floors turned into a lot more work than I planned! So, by march or so of this year we got the floors done, we welded old bed frame that we cut up, to the chassis member that comes out to hold the floor (just inside the sill) and then used steel plating and reconstructed floors. We welded the door pillars to the framing we put in, and now it is at least as strong as original, possibly more. A lot of wor had to be done to patch up the front and rear wheel wells as well. I went to get it inspected, but failed because the rear of the car's structure they did not trust. Took a look back there, unbolted the rear tailgate, and the rear crossmember pulled right out of the truck, the mounts had rusted off of it, and the wings on both side were gone! the rear corners were not really connected to much anymore, and later on we realized that the passenger rear was sagging over an inch! I found a rear crossmember on DAP, and ordered it, and we were able to get it in, and weld it.

Prior to doing this, I air chisseled the entire rear chassis to get all teh surface rust off, any weak points we welded metal plating to strenthen it. I then did about 5 coatins of rust treatment, and once the rust was gone, I coated the entire rear chassis (and the new crossmember) with truck bed coating. I also did the rear bumper as well. I don't have perfect before and after pictures, and a lot of these pictures are camera phone pictures, but it came out spectacular.

Here's a ton of pictures of the work.
Oh and things got pushed off because once winter started i needed somewhere inside to work, and we built a small greenhouse to be my new car workshop!
Pictures from the shop, sorry about the horrible angles...

Fixing the rear chassis, somewhat before and afters!
Before: (this is after getting off teh chunks of surface rust with the chisel)

Afterbefore crossmember install)

After: (with crossmember)

And, FINALLY INSPECTED:

And, yes, I got it muddy this weekend in my trails, actually my dirtbike trails in my woods...

This picture is cool, took it that day as well, it's now my computers background!

And to finish, a little German/British compare/contrast!!

Hope I can help out around here/get help whenever possible. If anyone's made it this far down my rambling, hope you enjoyed my story!

Devon Yablonski
1989 Range Rover Classic - Running and Muddy
1988 Range Rover Classic - Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and if higher quality pictures of anything are desired, most of the new stuff I have high res of.

Devon Yablonski

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 PM

Welcome....

Hi Devon,
Welcome to the forum

Nice RR story, you've done a whole whack of RR stuff & not even 19 yet!
I can only imagine how long your story will be when your 50

cheers,
Andy

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM

Probably twice as thick as WAR & PEACE!

No hand signals, driver playing with his transfer Knob.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
LRO Founder

Holy smokes! That was some undertaking... great story. Welcome aboard!

Serg

Current Vehicles:
1994 Defender 90, 35k original miles
2003 BMW 540iT M Sport
2004 Element Skateboard (Indy trucks, Bones Swiss, etc...)

Past LR's:

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:08 AM
rovering??

welcome

welcome man. nice job on the rrc. looks like it was new ...

-Nikunj
1993 Range Rover Classic LWB
1995 VW JETTA

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 AM

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE GO GROW THAT RANGE ROVER, HOW MUCH WATER AND WAS THE GREEN HOUSE CUSTOM BUILT JUST FOR GROWING THEM......

GREAT STORY, WELCOME BOARD

Don't follow us, you'll get stuck.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRR219
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE GO GROW THAT RANGE ROVER, HOW MUCH WATER AND WAS THE GREEN HOUSE CUSTOM BUILT JUST FOR GROWING THEM......

GREAT STORY, WELCOME BOARD
Haha! I was known for this picture on the 944 board, see, I feel it's a lot cheaper to grow the vehicles, in the long run anyway. Takes a lot of fertilizer...

See, in that pic she was yet to sprout her wheels and her interior was starting to bud..

That was last winter, and that greenhouse is my moms, see, it is actually for plants, but I took over half of it! She wouldn't let me this year, so we had to build teh other small one.

Devon Yablonski

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 AM

THATS GREAT, TOO FUNNY, GLAD YOU FOUND HUMOR IN IT TOO!!!

Don't follow us, you'll get stuck.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:16 AM

I'd be interested in seeing more pics about the rear crossmember swap....I need to do this on my 95.

How did you get the old one out? Looks like you didnt remove the rear quarters, I thought they need to come off first?? More info appreciated!
Thanks,
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
94 Defender 90

Man, that looks like a lot of work. Turned out great though! That must have been a fun time driving home with no floors. I probably would've towed it or had it shipped. haha.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 AM

The pic of the 944 inthe greenhouse looks like a scene straight out of "back to the future"..lol Dude, welcome to the LRonly.com Fam, being that you are already a member of the LR fam..lol
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
I'd be interested in seeing more pics about the rear crossmember swap....I need to do this on my 95.

How did you get the old one out? Looks like you didnt remove the rear quarters, I thought they need to come off first?? More info appreciated!
Thanks,
Well, like I said, my old one was so bad (i wish i had pictures) that I was able to just pull it off. The "wings" of it were gone, as in no longer existing, and it had rusted right off the mounts as well. So, it pulled right out, as it was not even reaching the quarters.

The new one, looked like we were going to have to remove quarters or something, but what worked for us, is we were able to angle one "wing" of the new crossmember down over the exhaust and get it in place, but the other wing was obviously not clearing the quarter, so we cut the wing off, just enough to get by the quarter where the tail light is and such, and then once it was in, we welded the wing back on, since you can just put it up from underneath and line it up, clamp it and weld it. It's probably pretty close to the strength of orginal, but obviously its now welded and not a solid piece. I can get closer up pics of where we cut if you want. We welded a piece of metal down the quarter to the wing on each side for added support, since all that really holds the quarters is the floor. Theres not really much of a way to weld the crossmember to the actual rear quarters, as theres no way to get in there, unless you take off the corner. We used sheet metal self tapping screws and went stragiht down through the floors in teh corner, into the new crossmember. I'll try to get better pics if you want, shoot me a PM if you want them, and i can show how we connected everything.

Devon Yablonski

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Man, that looks like a lot of work. Turned out great though! That must have been a fun time driving home with no floors. I probably would've towed it or had it shipped. haha.
well, getting it towed wouldve been at least 500 dollars, and frankly, the truck was only 200 dollars more than that or so, so it really wasnt worth it, not to mention, I was in high school and barely had enough cash for the truck in the firs tplace. I was going to get a full car trailor from Uhaul like we had done for the 88 parts truck that I picked up in NYC, but they had none available anywhere and teh guy was being a hassle about needing it out immediatley.

It was a fun adventure. I'm not sure if i added, but it's brakes went out as i was hitting an offramp on 495.. i was going about 60 and there were cars 50 yards up from me braking, and i had NO brakes at all. i shifted into first, let engine braking take me down as quick as possible, the parking brake i knew didnt work before hand.. once i was going about 10mph i threw it into park and prayed nothign broke! Luckily, nothing did. We looked at the master cylinder there was stillf luid, so we figured the master died internally. We found that you could pump the pedal and it would build up enough pressure to at least slow you down a bit, so we just continued at a slower pace (50 or so) and hoped i didnt have to stop quick. after like 20 minutes, brakes came back and never did it again. I figure it was a piece of rust or smoething passing through one of the master cylinder seals. I chagned the fluid and all the calipers from my old truck, and changed a brake line that was rusted out just about, and its been fine since.

Driving without the floors wasn't anything, have you tried driving a rover with teh front shocks disconnected? my front wheels came off teh ground at least 5 times in 20 feet after hitting a big bump on the highway.. scary shit.

Devon Yablonski

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
94 Defender 90

I'm 17 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in