Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Question about transmission on RRC

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  57loboy 
#1 ·
Looking at a 95 RRC w/ 115k miles. I notice that when engaging reverse there is a loud clank in the transmission and the car jerks a little. Is that normal? Or is that a sign of excessive wear. I did notice lots of oil on the engine block too. The rear axle had fluid residue. Other than that the car runs strong and has been maintain by the local dealership.

Thanks

#3 ·
I don't think anyone can say whether it's excessive without being under the truck on the lift. The cumulative backlash from a) drive flange to axle, b) axle to diff. c) ring to pinion, and d) xfer box to transmission, FRONT & REAR, is huge, right out of the package.

#4 ·
Things to do or check,
Check and replace any and all u-joints
Replace all fluids,tranny, diffs. and t/case looking for excess metal shavings or chunks
Then get under the truck while you have someone shift, listen and feel for location.
Some noise is normal, do you only hear it in reverse, if so, consider putting an additive like Lucas in the tranny to help free up the valve body.
Get back to us afterwards.
Mike

#5 ·
Yes it could be a number of things because there are to many variables under the RRC for a novice person like myself. I know it will need some work in the future I guess I am just estimating "when" and "how much". The low gear did shift without any problems and it ran fine with minimal jerk when engaged. I would say that is normal, correct me if I am wrong. Two things scare me and thats the transmission and engine, everything else is elementary with a little help of course.

If I do decide to go with it I will take to the local Rover shop for closer inspection. The car is in California so body work and all electrical is working properly. It has newer air suspension but they are about 3 years old and converting things is no biggie.

One more thing is $3500 a fair price? It has 115K miles, no rust, garaged, no off roading, no towing, women owned (I don't really know if that means anything:D), Everything checks out except for the excessive engine oil everywhere and tranny.

Thanks

#6 ·
I would say that the engine & transmission are the "elementary" items and that the electricals are where knowledge becomes more important. That said, if you've been all over it and it's in that fine shape body-wise, that price doesn't sound too bad. The oil could be any one of the common RRC leaks and none are all that difficult to repair, even for a novice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.