Tranny fluid & filter change - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tranny fluid & filter change

How long does it take to change fluid and filter for transmission on 95 RR LWB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol

Garage
About 30 minutes at Cottman's transmission.
39.95 no fuss, no mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Range Rover LWB
2003 Discovery (R.I.P. wrecked)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

SO it does not require any complicated process like dropping entire exhuast system or nothing, just straight forward, correct?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 AM

I am coinfused

So, unless they altered the location of the crossmember on the LWB's then you have to drop/move the said item to remove the pan to get the filter out. Which also necesitates the removal of the exhaust too. If all you are doing is a fluid swap,then yes, easy-peasy.

--Kris
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 AM

Sounds like you got HOSED!! there is no way that they changed the filter in that time for that price... Cheap filters ( if they know which ones to buy) will cost $18.00 that leave them with $20.00 to pay for fluid and profit? No way..
Hate to tell ya Eric, but they probably only changed the fluids..
I wouldn't worry about it though.. if your filter is only 2 years old its fine...
I took a peek at mine a sec ago.. its gonna be a PITA to change mine.. i have a big old honking tranny plate in the way..

Any advice given in this forum is my 2 cents, which is roughly the value of said advice!

Dan Hamren
95 LWB Beluga Black Chop Top With Roll Cage
93 LWB Ardennes Green ARB FT/ Rear
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol

Garage
Ah, that's nice.
Okay so I got hosed. How sad is that.
That just sucks. I'll have to read the fine print next time and do better research.

At least you weren't mean about it.....much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Range Rover LWB
2003 Discovery (R.I.P. wrecked)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Big job for filter change

Well, I talk to my mechanic and fluid change is a breeeze but to get to the filter, I guess you have to drop the crossmember to access the pan to change the filter?
Estimated $370.00 for the tranny job.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Is it worth it? My 1992 RRC has 190k on it and trans is original ZF auto never had filter change in life of car, I have never even changed the fluid once--runs, shifts fine. No slipping ever, smooth shifts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

ZF Tranny Myth

Well, I had a 97 Audi A8 and had a ZF tranny in. The tranny fluid dipstick is nonexistance since the fluid and filter are suppose to be lifetime. That is a bull because 90% of the BIgger issue with A8 are the tranny breakdown.
Saying that, isn't it same as driving without oil change for the motor?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 AM

Lifetime transfluid was a joke, not to mention the Audi trans fluid wasn't all that good in the first place.. It burned easily. Most audi guys replace the filter, output shaft seal, and fluid at 100k to avoid trans problems.. this was not a ZF problem.. ZF is the best in the business. This was all Audi's mess up.. notice the problems happen way after the warrantee expires.. Anyway, German Motors up in Tahoe City does the filter and Redline fluid, and owners have no problems with the transmissions after that.. output shaft seal is key on those cars, the back weeps fluids, dries up and POOF your tranny is dead..

Any advice given in this forum is my 2 cents, which is roughly the value of said advice!

Dan Hamren
95 LWB Beluga Black Chop Top With Roll Cage
93 LWB Ardennes Green ARB FT/ Rear
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:57 AM

On the Classic with ZF auto you have to unbolt the cross member and jiggle it forward. Then you can unbolt the filter pan and with a real fiddle you can just about change the filter with the pan still inside the chassis frame. Best done with the car on a four post hoist and be prepared for ATF all over the place.

Have fun!

Geoffrey

1985 4-door Range Rover Classic
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:47 PM

I did the filters on my '89 last year - about 1/2 day's work. Drain the box, unbolt the crossmember (4 bolts each side) and lower it out of the way (watch out it's heavy!). If it's stuck (most likely) there are various ways to free it. This worked for me...

Get a pair of welding clamps (mole grips) - the big 'C' shaped ones for reaching around obstructions and clamp to the crossmember at one end just above the triangular stengthening plates where the crossmember is welded to the end plate (this should make sense when you take a look!). Now stick a block of wood on the main front-back chassis rail near your clamp and stick a pry-bar (or something similar) into the 'loop' of the clamp and lever it downwards. Keep swapping sides, going an inch or so at a time, and you should have it out in no time.

Then unbolt the pan & change the filters. Even with the crossmember removed it's still quite tight getting the pan out though - sorry, can't remember which way it needs to come to clear the gearbox internals. I've heard that on later models the exhaust cats get in the way & need to be unbolted too - anyone know for sure?

When you're putting the pan back on, stick the new rubber gasket to the pan with a little instant gasket and leave it stood upside down for a while to make sure it's firmly attached. You need to lift it back into place with the gasket already fitted and it if moves while you're manouvering the pan back into place you'll have to start again!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 05:14 PM

92 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman
Is it worth it? My 1992 RRC has 190k on it and trans is original ZF auto never had filter change in life of car, I have never even changed the fluid once--runs, shifts fine. No slipping ever, smooth shifts.
I drive a 92 classic. In 190K what have you done to the Classic??
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Research shows that

If your vehicle has more than 100k miles and if the tranny fluid has never been changed, mechanics do not recommend changing the fluid, especially power flushing that Jiffy Lube performs for 79bucks.
My RR has 67k miles and looks like the fluid was changed at 60k mile maintenance, so I am going to run till 90k miles and change then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Range Rover Classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in