New owner needs advice please - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New owner needs advice please

Hi everyone. I've recently bought a 2013 HSE Luxury Disco 4 which I love to bits already. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a car after driving this living room on wheels!

I do however has some problems which the manual didn't really help me with and wondered if you lovely folk could offer advice.

Firstly, the USB ports inside the driver compartment don't seem to charge my phone at all. The phone registers being plugged in but the battery never increases. Any ideas? Do I need to buy some powered USB sockets to replace them? Is that even possible?

Secondly, and more importantly - when unlocking the car with driver door handle and fob in my pocket, none of the other doors unlock. I deselected 'multi stage unlocking' in vehicle menu but that hasn't seemed to change anything. I have to lean over to passenger door and use handle to unlock it... That can't be normal is it?

Lastly - as good as the sat nav is I still love using my android phone with maps and Spotify - can anyone recommend a good wireless phone charging cradle that fits nicely in the disco cabin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
1st thing I would do if its over 60K miles is to have the Differential fluid replaced.
Check the level of coolant make sure the water pump had been replaced.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariDave View Post
1st thing I would do if its over 60K miles is to have the Differential fluid replaced.
Check the level of coolant make sure the water pump had been replaced.
Dave
Hi Dave and thanks for your reply. I'll need to check the service book for those things but it's 80k miles and has had a full service from LR every year. The garage I purchased from are very good and also gave it a service and even had an alloy sent off to be recovered and had all my caliper cases resprayed and they replaced some sensors. It's in superb condition so I wonder if I'm simply doing something wrong?

I'm not very mechanically minded so please excuse my ignorance but how are coolant and differential parts going to affect the USB and/or locking mechanisms?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
The obvious answer is that they are not going to affect the USB plugs or the locking mechanism.

You can easily buy a charger that fits in your cigarette lighter socket and use it to run/charge your cellphone. But make sure it says for the cigarette lighter. I bought one which was designed for a standard plug-in which many vehicles have in addition to a cigarette lighter socket; its directions specifically said not to plug it into the cigarette lighter socket.

Well, I did anyway and it caused my dash to go crazy - warning lights all over and the dash lights began to flicker. After about five or ten seconds I pulled it out and it took about a day for the LR to fix itself again.

Here is what I finally bought; plugged it into the lighter socket and plugged in my USB wire to the iphone plus my TomTom and my dashcam. So far all is good and all three work perfectly.

Insten Three-Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Charger Splitter w/ USB Port, Black

Only now I cannot light my cigarettes.

Last edited by tyl604; 10-12-2018 at 05:15 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Read View Post
Hi Dave and thanks for your reply. I'll need to check the service book for those things but it's 80k miles and has had a full service from LR every year. The garage I purchased from are very good and also gave it a service and even had an alloy sent off to be recovered and had all my caliper cases resprayed and they replaced some sensors. It's in superb condition so I wonder if I'm simply doing something wrong?

I'm not very mechanically minded so please excuse my ignorance but how are coolant and differential parts going to affect the USB and/or locking mechanisms?
Nothing to do with the USB. This is preventive maintenance. I am Very Sure that LR did not change the diff fluids, Transfer case fluid or the Transmission fluid. The diff fluids and TC should have been changes at 30K, Trans at 80K. And check the Water pump for leakage typical on a LR4.
Dave

The City is a Jungle.

Present Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD7 White 150K miles 'The Beach Boy' (PR truck)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'Fancy Professor' (my girl's LA LR3)
2005 LR3/ D3 SE 4.4 Bonatti 'The Rhino'
(my NYC LR3)
De-tangoed Headlights, LR4 Style Grille, Dueler Alenza HL 255/55/19

Past Land Rovers
1999 LR Disco II SD Niagara Grey 'Old Rhino' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1991 Range Rover Classic Green 'The Turtle' 200K+ miles (Sold)
1988 Range Rover Classic White 'The Rust Bucket' (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Land Rover 4 / LR4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in