Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch

25K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  texanintexas 
#1 ·
I recently bought a winch on sale from a place called harbor freight. The winch is made from a company called Chicago Electric.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

The total cost was only 329.00. I even includes a 1/4 inch plate tray!

I have wanted one forever but the pricing was just to costly for me. I have a stock brush guard and did not want to have to install a bulkier bumper with a winch tray so, I went down to the local structural steel store and bought 10 feet of 1 inch solid square steel. I was looking for 1/4 inch square tube steel but they didn't carry it so solid steel it was.

I decided that the best mounting location would be to the outside of both sides of the frame. The major obstacle was the bumper. I cut a square hole it the lower part of the bumper with a right angel grinder. (I had already removed the plastic cover from the steel portion of the bumper) There were a couple of brackets along the outside of the frame that need to be shortened just a tad that I also used the grinder to reduce the size. I used the existing holes that the brush guard was being held by but, increased the hole size to 1/2 inch. I also added another 1/2 inch hole farther back. (See pic)

The rest was pretty simple. The tray that came with the winch was then bolted down to the steel rods and the electrical lines were installed.

I was dying to try it out and see how sturdy it was, took it out back hooked it up to a very big tree and winched it up. It worked perfect...picked the LR right off it's front tires like it was a toy.

I have included some pics.

Anthony

View attachment 17498

View attachment 17499

View attachment 17500

View attachment 17501

See less See more
#2 ·
Anthony,

I'm not one to bash so I'll make this as nice as I possibly can...

BE CAREFUL using that thing. Backyard scenarios do not compare to being bogged down in mud, caught on obstacles, or constant off road abuse. I would recommend that you save up some cash and buy yourself a bumper with an integrated winch tray. Keeps your eyes on the classifieds on the Rover forums. Used-good-condition bumpers go up for sale all the time.

With something as important as Safety & Vehicle Recovery, my advice is to not take any chances and do it right the first time.

#3 ·
Hi JC,
Don't worry at all about hurting my feelings. I am curious, is the issue the winch or the installation or both?
Probably something that I will point out is that this is mainly for show. I have invested way to much in non-OEM electronics in the truck to be taking it off road. My guess is that the most the winch will ever see is getting me out of a snow bank in some bad winter snow, if that. (If it doesn't work the 100 bucks a I spend on AAA will be my next step. )
I really hate the look of the bumpers with the integrated trays. It is just to harsh a look...at least the ones I have seen.

But again let me know the issue

Anthony

#4 ·
Don't worry at all about hurting my feelings. I am curious, is the issue the winch or the installation or both?
The winch will have poor quality internals. This means that it can let go at anytime. So don't put yourself in a situation where your safety is dependant on the winch working or holding the vehicle.
It should be Ok for winching yourself out of a snow drift.
The design of the mount will act like a shovel if you go off road. It will most likely get ripped off the vehicle. It has no upward or downward support. I can't tell what you have the tray connected to or with what. But if it is only the small bars that can be seen disappearing into the bumper, I would think that it is structurally underdone.
Finally, you should make sure that you wind your cable on properly. The way you have it in the pictures will cause damage to the cable and runs the risk of failure when in use. But on the bright side, I think the rest of the winch and mount will give way before the cable.

#7 ·
Wow!
What a response! I was pretty impressed with this installation and actually still am. The major issue I saw with this winch was the probability that it was not the best built in the world but, I had no idea it would get this kind of response!

Recapping some very basic points:

It was installed like a shovel. That I would agree on and can see the problem with this. As far as the winch being a piece of crap.....please provide data on the failure rate or some great stories about it. Saying it is junk and showing that it is two different things.

One side note on the mounting technique...I found a brush guard on Craig’s list that had a built in winch tray, it was the closest that I found that I would have been okay with using and not making the car into some ugly 17 year olds off road 4x4 toy.
I just could not imagine the brackets that where identical to my present brush guard being able to handle the torque of the winch.

Next would be the installation....I would love for one our LR engineer members...real ones..... Please to provide info on tensile strength of 1 inch solid steel. I will find out at work tomorrow from a real engineer not only the strength of the solid steel bars and the torque ratings of bolting with 1/2 inch bolts and welding it to the frame of this Land Rover for a little one foot.

Of course how can I not respond to such a rude response from someone telling me to get a Chevy? I don't need to Hoss.
I already own the real deal...An 1991 F350 Diesel 4x4 (400,000 miles and no major breakdowns and lots of real daily abuse).

View attachment 17516

If your going to insult me you should use a better comment like...If you want bling you should buy a Range Rover new and put big wheels on it. That kind of insult would make sense.

$78,495.00

Now that would be bling in the circles I run in!

This Land Rover that gets nothing but compliments from business associates that I end up catering around.
I can't even being to tell you how many guys walk up to this truck and tell me how awesome it is.
If I actually lifted this truck to the height that it takes to get out in the mud it would lose its ability to perform where I really need it too.

On the highway.

I have worked on ranches in Texas all my life and if I thought I was really going to use a vehicle like this in the dirt I would never use this one. Any electrical failures can cost more than the cost of the entire vehicle blue book on repairs (Even if you do them yourself).

If you get in water that gets higher than the control unit on the passenger side...you might as well just buy a new one. They are exactly like one of our members says is like "Dating a high priced model" very high maintenance.

No worries though I will also be spending $300.00 on the snorkel very soon....another item I will NEVER use unless there is a flood in Mass :)

No, I will stick to my loving this vehicle for what it is, very pretty, great love of Americans that think they are used exclusively in the Australian Outback, a great car to navigate snow on The Mass Pike, a great car to take clients and colleagues to lunch in, the jumper seats that the kids fight over to sit in when we are heading to the beach and the fact I spent $600.00 to buy it and another 4 days exchanging the transfer case on a car that up in these parts most people think cost a fortune :)

I hope that everyone will try to keep in mind that people use trucks for many different reasons. I am a little disappointed in this response, I have been a member of Ford Truck Enthusiasts for 9 years and believe it or not have not had this kind of negative response.

The reason I posted this was that this site has been instrumental in major work that I have done on this LR and the one before it and I wanted to give back a little. I hope this gives all those out there thinking of buying a winch and installing it an idea of what or what not to do

Opinions are awesome, feedback about the "Wrong way to do something" are very helpful but, "Dickish” comments are just that.

P76Rangie...You said that I had the cable wound wrong, can you please let me know what I am doing wrong? I have used it a time or two and if I am not winding it properly I would like to know the correct way.

Anthony

#11 ·
As far as the winch being a piece of crap.....please provide data on the failure rate or some great stories about it. Saying it is junk and showing that it is two different things.
There have been many, many, tests on the cheap winches. Virtually in every case they self destruct before reaching their rated capacity. There is no reason to think that your winch is an exception.

You are unlikely to use half the rated capacity pulling yourself out of a snow drift and therefore may be safe enough. But I would not use it for anything much more than that.

As a test, connect it to a solid tree in your street at home. Get in the vehicle and apply the brakes. Wind in the winch until it stalls. If it doesn't go bang, or up in smoke, you might have half a chance. Also when you wind the cable back on properly, feel the motor and see how hot it gets after pulling the full length of cable under a load. Just touch it with your finger as I reckon there is a good chance you will get 3rd degree burns.

P76Rangie...You said that I had the cable wound wrong, can you please let me know what I am doing wrong? I have used it a time or two and if I am not winding it properly I would like to know the correct way.
You have the cable crossing over itself on the drum. With any weight on the cable it will cause the cable to crush the underlying section. When a cable is first put on the drum, it should be done under tension. The cable should be neatly rolled onto the drum. This is rarely possible in real life situations, but at the first opportunity you should unwind the cable and wind it back on properly under tension.

#12 ·
P76Rangie,
Thank you for the correct winding info. I will give your test a try tommorrow. As I said before I have pulled the LR off it's front tires just to see if it would do it but I will try your test method.
If you dont get any response back tommorrow with pics it's because the winch came apart and killed me :)

Anthony

#13 ·
I found this looking for reviews of this winch....not surprisingly on a jeep web site. Lots of cheep bastards trying to look good to...I guess.

I pasted it below but here are the reviews, good and bad alike:

Chicago Electric 8000 lb Winch Reviews

Anthony

Jeep Parts > Winches > Chicago Electric 8000 lb Electric Winch

Chicago Electric 8000 lb Electric Winch
Brand: Chicago Electric
Features:

* 8,000 lbs rating
* 95 feet of cable
* Three-stage system with automatic load-holding brake
* Freespooling
* Planetary gearing
* 12' handheld remote switch

Owner Reviews

Chicago Electric 8000 lb Electric Winch
Avg. Customer Review: (7.4 Stars):
Number of Reviews: 12

Write a review and share your thoughts with other Jeepers.

More Bang For Your Buck
Date: Jan 27, 2008
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Fort Collins, CO)

I bought it a year ago, for my yj and have used it at least once a week for either work or play, even pulled a 1 ton dually 50 feet up a steep 30degree embankment out of mud, no problems,no overheating, just not as fast as most high end winches.

MOST IMPORTANT, always read the the instructions, use a good sutable battery, before use properly tighten all fasteners, pull the cable all the way out and reespool! failure to do the things will make any winch fail! I experienced my warn powerplant fail because I didn't respool it before the first time I used it, and it voided the warranty! So my budget wasn't big enough to buy another and found this one at Harbor Freight for $300 with mounting plate and bought a extended 2 year warranty, my power plant now makes the best paper weight, holds bown every thing on my bench, all at the same time.

Always use proper safety equipment, and practices, and never winch alone!

I have the 91905-3VGA
Date: Oct 28, 2007
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Durant, OK)

Well, this one is a little diffrent. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4. I bought the Chicago 10,000 pound winch for my pickup. it was cheap and I was kinda afraid to purchase it. But now, I am glad I did. It out performes my buddys Ramsey and it never overheats. I recomend this winch to anyone on a budget. It is slow, but powerful. I have been midway up my doors in mud and it has pulled me out no problem. A Great winch!!!

Test pull
Date: Oct 02, 2007
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (W.P.B., FL)

I have the 9000lb hf winch on my yj, we put the jeep against a tree, pulled out about 60 ft of cable , hooked to a 7,500 lb buggy with tractor tires, pulled about 30 ft in dirt with the tires sliding, no problems.

Best yet
Date: Sep 20, 2007
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Rome, GA)

I have used this whinch hard! Pulled down two mobil homes (I was payed for this) so I made money with it used it many to time to tell about I would put it against others I have owned.

If your only cruising the malls this will work perfect.
Date: Jan 04, 2006
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Kansas)

After going through 2 of these in as many months getting a credit to buy other HF "junk" was a better option then wasting my time on these winches.

The first one only made it too the second pull before giving out (pulling a cavalier out of some snow). The second unit made all of 4 pulls before giving out, this time while trying to pull a friends Jeep out. Even with a snatch block the 3500 pound jeep was just to much of a load for it. If you need a winch to save your rear, dont count on this one doing it. You better hope the friend your wheeling with has a quality winch or you may be catching a ride home with him.

Worked it hard and it did the job
Date: Jan 03, 2006
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (central IL)

I put the 40764 (Harbor Freight number) on and 3 days later was winching three times on Jeeps. One thing of note is that the web site says it is 1.8 HP motor but it is 4.1. Anyway with proper voltage and maintenance I think this winch will hold up fine.

works every time for me
Date: Dec 12, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Concord NC)

The only thing that can be said negatively is that the winch is slow. You are stuck anyway. Take your time and keep the money in your pocket. I have used mine at least a dozen times in the two years I have had it. through mud, up hill, over rocks, you name it it drags my jeep and anything else I have hooked up to. I have even had to strap my jeep to a tree to winch. I would buy another one, but so far I don't think I will need to. The one thing I do pay atention to though is battery volts during a winch, keep them up or burn up the winch.

Get what you pay for
Date: Nov 16, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Toms River NJ)

It did not even make it through the first pull. I tried to stretch the cable and the winch overheated and stopped working.

Buy one they work great!
Date: Nov 08, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (port angeles, Wa)

I dont have a winch! and nyther do 5 of my budys! luckuly one does. we all got caught in a freak rain storm at the bottom of the sadi creek trail in washington it took over 14 hours of winching in the pouring down rain and mud. to get us all out! but it did the job with no trouble it was a little slow going. but it never over heated. I will be ordering one for myself.

Dont be afraid to buy
Date: Mar 16, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Canton, OH)

I was afraid of buying this winch it was so cheap.
299$. Dont be afraid.. I have only had it 6 monthes but it is doing fine so far.. It is slow but at 300$ it suits my needs for now.

Roller Fairleads are available from harborfreight 30$

Good winch
Date: Nov 25, 2004
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Evansville IN.)

I have used my 8000 lb. winch only five times and it has performed flawlessly. For the money I would recommend it.The winch is installed on my 1998 jeep wrangler. The last time I used it I was on a steep incline with the parking brake on, and my foot on the brake while my buddy operated the remote. In fact the motor was not even hot after we pulled the jeep all 95 feet. The only downfall is that it is a little slow,and I can't find a roller fairlead for the chicago electric 8000 lb. winch.

Works, but slow
Date: Oct 03, 2004
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (georgia)

Cheap, Works great, but it's slow

Write a review and share your thoughts with other Jeepers.

1987-06-jeep-wrangler-front-winch-plate-new 1987-06 Jeep Wrangler Front Winch Plate NEW
US $40.00 (6 Bids)
Auction Ends: End Date: Wednesday Apr-16-2008 18:53:45 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list
t-max-9-000-lb-winch-tmax-9000lb-jeep-landcruiser-ford T-Max 9,000 lb Winch tmax 9000lb jeep Landcruiser Ford
US $649.00
Auction Ends: End Date: Wednesday Apr-16-2008 19:51:34 PDT
Bid now | Buy it now | Add to watch list
ramsey-8-5e-8500-lb-winch-jeep-cj-winch-new-cond- Ramsey 8.5e 8500 lb winch, Jeep CJ winch New cond.
US $291.00 (5 Bids)
Auction Ends: End Date: Friday Apr-18-2008 19:49:28 PDT
jeep-cj-original-ramsey-winch-mount-kit-new-cond-cj8 Jeep CJ original Ramsey winch mount kit, new cond CJ8
US $33.00 (3 Bids)
Auction Ends: End Date: Friday Apr-18-2008 19:57:15 PDT
new-smittybilt-xrc10-10-000lb-winch-for-jeep-truck-suv NEW Smittybilt XRC10 10,000lb Winch for Jeep Truck SUV
US $429.99
Auction Ends: End Date: Sunday Apr-20-2008 18:48:36 PDT

1987-06-jeep-wrangler-front-winch-plate-new
1987-06 Jeep Wrangler Front Winch Plate NEW
US $40.00
Bid now |
t-max-9-000-lb-winch-tmax-9000lb-jeep-landcruiser-ford
T-Max 9,000 lb Winch tmax 9000lb jeep Landcruiser Ford
US $649.00
Bid now |
ramsey-8-5e-8500-lb-winch-jeep-cj-winch-new-cond-
Ramsey 8.5e 8500 lb winch, Jeep CJ winch New cond.
US $291.00
Bid now |

#15 ·
Hi Anthony. I like your idea of starting low on the price of a winch. No sense in buying a high priced one straight away until you see how you need it first.
I got **** from people when I bought a Superwinch for my Disco a few years back. It wasnt good enough for the retards who sport higher cost models but somehow it was good enough to be the official winch for the Camel Trophy. Go figure.
I have friends that have bought a Chicago and the new britpart 8,000lb winches which have components made by the same people and have had no problems. Two of them use the chicago as a daily tool for work for the past few years. Ya want to know how much trouble they have had with them??? None.
People are too Brand oriented and say you get what you pay for but thats not always the way.
I will say that your install is ,although well done, not as safe as a intergrated
unit. I know you say it's mostly for show but if you do need it please be careful.
If you want to add to your saftey buy some Marlow or Dyna line instead of cable as they are much less dangerous and have the same ability.Maybe more . Howerver I'm sure that someone has a formulated opinion on that too. Do what you want and **** the rest mate. Just be safe!:drink1:

the same people

#17 ·
P76rangie,
Thank you for the article it has some great stuff in it. (Really good pics too) I am sure that the logic of the article can be applied to this winch as well and I don't doubt that the Warn is a by far better product.

In thinking a bit more as to my decision to buy this winch I guess it comes down to old habits. I have spent most of my life growing up on a ranch making things that are snubbed by most as inferior, tools, equipment, tractors etc....making it work and for the most part having good luck and a sense of the right tool for the right job.

When I was young it was because our family just did not have the money to have the "good" stuff. It was a learning process that over and over taught me to save money as much as possible.
I now work as a Business Analyst in Boston and although I have the ability to buy any truck or car I want, I just can't bring myself to do the status quo when it comes to things like this.
I understand the reasons that guys that get off road want to buy quality products, if I was out there I am sure I would have a different agenda as well.

I have a tractor jack mounted to the roof rack that I have used for at least 15 years that I painted red and stuck up there.....to cheap to even spend 40 bucks for new jack! I have an axe mounted up there as well that was bought in Texas at a pawn shop for 5 bucks....again to cheap to buy a new one.
Neither has ever been used on either of the LR's I have had it on.

My total investment in this car is listed below:
$600.00 Land Rover
$300.00 Brush guard and Roof rack lights included (Craigslist)
$329.00 Winch
$150.00 Red top battery
--------
$1379.00 Total investment

The truck is in mint condition

I love how often people up here swoon over this Land Rover and think that I have thousands invested in it. Everyone loves land Rovers. Once again show…its part of the job up here. (Truth of the matter is that would rather be in my F350 Diesel but, parking it in downtown Boston costs more than a small truck like the Landy. (My monthly parking is $329.00 a month!)

I have really enjoyed this posting and I hope when someone does a search for “Winches” this will help them make good decisions for themselves.

Series 3 Guy:
Thank you for the feedback. Don’t worry about me being swayed by negative opinions, after all I’m a Texan and you know how they don’t tend to listen to anyone else anyway (Little George joke there)
I love that series 3!!!!!! If I could figure out how to get my hands on one of those I would keep it forever to. I found one on the internet that has 6 doors…my wife looked at it and was dreaming about how far away the kids and dogs would be from us on our summer trips 
It is really a great looking rig.
I do think I will use the Marlow or Dyna. I can see how it will be safer.

Regards,
Anthony

#19 ·
To much time inhaling gas fumes I'm sure, I think I said I had no desire to go off road so, no problem on the trails junior...Nice looking truck you have there AFIRover. And since your being sarcastic you know what you can kiss.

P76rangie:
I rewound the cable, I was working from home today and was excited to test out the winch so the first test was to pull the Rover in park about ten feet...it was slow but no problems. I took a pic of the tracks. maybe I should have taken the pics while the truck was still there but I didn't think it would help credibility either way.

The next was to see how the one inch bars would hold up under weight. Not really sure if this a good demonstration of weight handling but it looked impressive in person.

On both occasions the motor was not even a little hot...which surprised me because the directions said that it would heat when under a load.

View attachment 17518

View attachment 17519

View attachment 17520

View attachment 17521

If you can think of other ways to abuse the winch...short of going off road let me know and I will try. I was thinking that maybe I could put a aquarium temp stick on the motor just to get an idea of what does get this thing hot.

That was a blast, I think I might want to back off this thing or I might have to buy a truck that I do take off road :):drive:

Anthony

#25 ·
If you can think of other ways to abuse the winch...
Not sure about the winch, others have covered that, but you demonstrated abusing your cable and a tree.
1. Never wrap your winch cable around something and then hook back to the cable. You'll damage the cable.
2. Never wrap a winch cable around a tree, it will cut in to the tree. Use a nylon "tree-saver" web strap.

#20 ·
well thats one way to change a flat tire lol

#21 ·
Love the signature ArmyRover.
My Dad is a retired W4 CID Homicide investigator and my sister was with the 44th evac/Army medic, those words really hit really hit home for our family.

#22 ·
Don't worry about that tray, tex. But I would incorporate some protection for the winch from any front end collisions. I built a tray similar to yours for my 12000 Warn on my DII. I used 1/2 inch plate for the base, and 3/8 plate for the front and sides. Then to attach to the frame rails, I used 4x4 L angle iron 3/8 thick. That coupled with 3 Grade 8.8, 3/8 bolts through each rail, and I've got no failures. I've pulled Dually's (chevy and ford) which were buried past there frame rails, and an F150 on 44 Swampers buried past the frame with it. Not one issue. It's ugly, burt built like a tank.

JC has some photos of it tucked away in his files. There's not a stronger tray out there made by anyone, even if it it the ugliest POS ever designed. LMAO! My only criticism is the 1 inch box for tubes. Too much chance of torsional flex, depending on your winch angle. I'd rather see 2x2x1/2 or 2x2 solid in it's place. Just my .02.

#23 ·
Very fast answer to your input, I will look at the pics and need to review your recommendations.
I am on a conference call right now, though what you’re saying makes great sense. I am just having a hart time visualizing it right now. The engineer that works with me has not gotten back yet on the....I think he calls it shear stats of the 1" solid but he did say the same thing about torsion flex... here is the statement in the E-mail he sent:

As a rough and ready measure 500 lb-ft on a 3/4 inch piece of square stock
would equal 16000 lb at a 3/8 inch radius, and that is assuming no safety
margin, which would equate to a material able to withstand 43,000 lb per
square inch, as a rule of thumb plain MS works out as around 16 to 20 tons
per square inch.

I will provide more date later today, have to make the customer happy as you request all the time you bastard!
:)

John

Anthony

#24 ·
I posted this highlighted and can see that it is very hard to read. Here it is in livin color...sorry

As a rough and ready measure 500 lb-ft on a 3/4 inch piece of square stock
would equal 16000 lb at a 3/8 inch radius, and that is assuming no safety
margin, which would equate to a material able to withstand 43,000 lb per
square inch, as a rule of thumb plain MS works out as around 16 to 20 tons
per square inch.

I will provide more date later today, have to make the customer happy as you request all the time you bastard!

#26 ·
How much can I learn from this site in 1 day!!! Thanks antichrist...I will try to get the tree saver soon. A question about this....is the nylon rope that series 3 guy suggested the same thing or do I need to buy this additionally? If so where?

Anthony

One other question you have "74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)" on your signature...please excuse my ignorance, is that a actual unit for portable air? I have seen some sites that advertise portable air and I was just wondering if this is one of them. I actually have portable air on my F350 build into the rear bumper but, it is only a resevior...no compression.
If this has nothing to do with this then I am sure I will be crucified accordingly.

#27 ·
OMG, LMAO! Newbie Alert. LOL!

An air portable: Late series IIa and Series III Land Rover 88 inch Short Wheel Base. Developed and designed specifically for military use. Official designation is something like : Truck, General service, 1/2 ton, air portable.
Developed to be narrow enough to drive into an Air Force transport, and light enough to be picked up bt UK MoD Medium duty helicopters of the time. They have narrower frame, narrower axles, and basically no flare to the front wings.

Oh lord, that was good.

BTW; I was going to give you some S#*! for the tree also, but figured you had taken enough heat already. Tree Saver is one of the best things you can keep in your truck. Real cheap off eBay.

#32 ·
Tree Saver is one of the best things you can keep in your truck. Real cheap off eBay.
Everyone, including myself, is having a go at him for having a cheap chinese winch, then it is suggested that he buys the tree protector off eBay. I think it is more important to have a good quality tree trunk protector. The winch may pack up and stop working, but there is a good chance that such an incident would not be as dangerous as the tree trunk protector letting go.

I make sure that anything that can cause me harm is of reasonable quality. That is, winch, cable/rope, shackles, tree trunk protector, winch extension strap, snatch block, snatch strap, etc.

Tree trunk protectors are mainly there to protect the tree. So I make sure I use one on public lands. It looks like his photos were on private land, so it is up to him whether he wants to kill his tree or not. For what he was doing (lifting the front of the ground) is was probably better not to use the protector as the cable would provide a better grip on the tree.

#28 ·
Sorry i hurt your feelings but i was trying to make a point, not a very good attempt but still an attempt.

First thing i saw when i saw your set up was how bad it was. That in its self is extremely dangerous if ever used for a real pull and i would hate for some one to come here and see that and think "hey, i can do that too!" and end up with some one in the ground because of it.

If you have ever seen a winch cable brake, or a tow hitch come off under load you know what i am talking about. Imagine that entire winch coming off under load.

Secondly, and this is something that isnt just your fault, i am not a fan of the "its only for looks" deal. I personally dont give a crap if its a roof rack, bead-lock "look" rims, or a winch. But thats my personal opinion and based solely on my inability to understand why people do things that dont make sense.

#31 ·
I just asked my Dad if he knew what air portable is (He does), He lives in Texas and my mom said he is still laughing.
How in the hell would I know that....are there any series 2 or 3's over here?!?!?! I worked so hard to deal with the asshole answers and sound reasonable but...that really Killed it all.

Even the wife is laughing.

I was talking to my Dad today and I told him one of the people I really liked the most on this subject was the "House guy" just keeps saying you are wrong but does not get into negative feedback no matter what. I really appreciate that.

I still have to stand by my decision this winch was a great purchase if for nothing more than the unbelievable amount of attention that it has drawn.

I have this really sick desire to see what it can really take....wieght...abuse...and in the end if it fails...which I would be surprised if it did not....what have I lost...I am trying to think how I can winch my F350 off the ground or something entertaining.

One thing is for sure I love hard hitting guys that tell what they think straight.

Gunny: I love your thought process...you don't even get what "show" is about! Thank God I am not in charge of any major incursions. It would look very much like a "military Action"
You know what the difference is between me an lets say a Marine is? My life never depended on equipment working. I get to call AAA when my winch fails.

Sad fact is that that idea has not changed for me.

I will continue to impress with pics and if anyone can think of something useful for a chinese winch please let me know, I'm always game for a new challenge.

#36 ·
Hi Dad,
This is for you, probably the most modest man I know and yet still put up with my constant creativity (dangerous at times no doubt:) )

Thank everyone for all that I have learned on this site.

ArmyRover....Your generous request makes me think of the movie....Luke, I am your father turn to the dark side. Thank you and really am looking forward to talking more about it...I will E-mail you!

Now to the crazy Texas stuff...as Garth plays on the LR truck...we shall be free...!!

View attachment 17552

View attachment 17553

View attachment 17554

View attachment 17555

View attachment 17556

View attachment 17557

View attachment 17558

View attachment 17559

View attachment 17560

View attachment 17561

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony

#38 ·
Hi Dad,
This is for you, probably the most modest man I know and yet still put up with my constant creativity (dangerous at times no doubt:) )

Thank everyone for all that I have learned on this site.

ArmyRover....Your generous request makes me think of the movie....Luke, I am your father turn to the dark side. Thank you and really am looking forward to talking more about it...I will E-mail you!

Now to the crazy Texas stuff...as Garth plays on the LR truck...we shall be free...!!

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony
You had to prove me wrong. That is, I thought that the disco would not be climbing anymore trees. You had to go and find a bigger tree. Your mad and it is the most stupid thing I have ever seen done to a Disco, but I got a good laugh out of it.

How did you get it back on the wheels?

Crazy Texans!!!

Can't wait for Antichrist's reply.

#37 ·
bring your butt should be a good time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.