Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
I know that these tests do not cover the exact winch you have, but it does cover similar cheap winches like yours that are made in China

http://media.offroader.com.au/4wsa/a...ages46to60.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
P76rangie,
Thank you for the article it has some great stuff in it. (Really good pics too) I am sure that the logic of the article can be applied to this winch as well and I don't doubt that the Warn is a by far better product.

In thinking a bit more as to my decision to buy this winch I guess it comes down to old habits. I have spent most of my life growing up on a ranch making things that are snubbed by most as inferior, tools, equipment, tractors etc....making it work and for the most part having good luck and a sense of the right tool for the right job.

When I was young it was because our family just did not have the money to have the "good" stuff. It was a learning process that over and over taught me to save money as much as possible.
I now work as a Business Analyst in Boston and although I have the ability to buy any truck or car I want, I just can't bring myself to do the status quo when it comes to things like this.
I understand the reasons that guys that get off road want to buy quality products, if I was out there I am sure I would have a different agenda as well.

I have a tractor jack mounted to the roof rack that I have used for at least 15 years that I painted red and stuck up there.....to cheap to even spend 40 bucks for new jack! I have an axe mounted up there as well that was bought in Texas at a pawn shop for 5 bucks....again to cheap to buy a new one.
Neither has ever been used on either of the LR's I have had it on.

My total investment in this car is listed below:
$600.00 Land Rover
$300.00 Brush guard and Roof rack lights included (Craigslist)
$329.00 Winch
$150.00 Red top battery
--------
$1379.00 Total investment

The truck is in mint condition

I love how often people up here swoon over this Land Rover and think that I have thousands invested in it. Everyone loves land Rovers. Once again show…its part of the job up here. (Truth of the matter is that would rather be in my F350 Diesel but, parking it in downtown Boston costs more than a small truck like the Landy. (My monthly parking is $329.00 a month!)

I have really enjoyed this posting and I hope when someone does a search for “Winches” this will help them make good decisions for themselves.

Series 3 Guy:
Thank you for the feedback. Don’t worry about me being swayed by negative opinions, after all I’m a Texan and you know how they don’t tend to listen to anyone else anyway (Little George joke there)
I love that series 3!!!!!! If I could figure out how to get my hands on one of those I would keep it forever to. I found one on the internet that has 6 doors…my wife looked at it and was dreaming about how far away the kids and dogs would be from us on our summer trips 
It is really a great looking rig.
I do think I will use the Marlow or Dyna. I can see how it will be safer.

Regards,
Anthony

Anthony
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2- Sold in Texas before moving to cold country
1995 Discovery 1 RIP (Evil daughter abuse)
1995 Discovery 1
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 AM
AFIROVER

I'm not hear to talk doen or any thing

BUT DUDE STAY THE F%^CK AWAY FROM THE TRAILS AND EVERY BODY/THING ON THEM

DONE I WILL SAY NO MORE

hugs and kisses afi

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

To much time inhaling gas fumes I'm sure, I think I said I had no desire to go off road so, no problem on the trails junior...Nice looking truck you have there AFIRover. And since your being sarcastic you know what you can kiss.

P76rangie:
I rewound the cable, I was working from home today and was excited to test out the winch so the first test was to pull the Rover in park about ten feet...it was slow but no problems. I took a pic of the tracks. maybe I should have taken the pics while the truck was still there but I didn't think it would help credibility either way.

The next was to see how the one inch bars would hold up under weight. Not really sure if this a good demonstration of weight handling but it looked impressive in person.

On both occasions the motor was not even a little hot...which surprised me because the directions said that it would heat when under a load.

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-20080403-014.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-20080403-015.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-20080403-018.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-land-rover-pulled-park.jpg

If you can think of other ways to abuse the winch...short of going off road let me know and I will try. I was thinking that maybe I could put a aquarium temp stick on the motor just to get an idea of what does get this thing hot.

That was a blast, I think I might want to back off this thing or I might have to buy a truck that I do take off road

Anthony

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
well thats one way to change a flat tire lol

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Love the signature ArmyRover.
My Dad is a retired W4 CID Homicide investigator and my sister was with the 44th evac/Army medic, those words really hit really hit home for our family.

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Don't worry about that tray, tex. But I would incorporate some protection for the winch from any front end collisions. I built a tray similar to yours for my 12000 Warn on my DII. I used 1/2 inch plate for the base, and 3/8 plate for the front and sides. Then to attach to the frame rails, I used 4x4 L angle iron 3/8 thick. That coupled with 3 Grade 8.8, 3/8 bolts through each rail, and I've got no failures. I've pulled Dually's (chevy and ford) which were buried past there frame rails, and an F150 on 44 Swampers buried past the frame with it. Not one issue. It's ugly, burt built like a tank.

JC has some photos of it tucked away in his files. There's not a stronger tray out there made by anyone, even if it it the ugliest POS ever designed. LMAO! My only criticism is the 1 inch box for tubes. Too much chance of torsional flex, depending on your winch angle. I'd rather see 2x2x1/2 or 2x2 solid in it's place. Just my .02.

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Very fast answer to your input, I will look at the pics and need to review your recommendations.
I am on a conference call right now, though what you’re saying makes great sense. I am just having a hart time visualizing it right now. The engineer that works with me has not gotten back yet on the....I think he calls it shear stats of the 1" solid but he did say the same thing about torsion flex... here is the statement in the E-mail he sent:

As a rough and ready measure 500 lb-ft on a 3/4 inch piece of square stock
would equal 16000 lb at a 3/8 inch radius, and that is assuming no safety
margin, which would equate to a material able to withstand 43,000 lb per
square inch, as a rule of thumb plain MS works out as around 16 to 20 tons
per square inch.

I will provide more date later today, have to make the customer happy as you request all the time you bastard!

John

Anthony

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I posted this highlighted and can see that it is very hard to read. Here it is in livin color...sorry

As a rough and ready measure 500 lb-ft on a 3/4 inch piece of square stock
would equal 16000 lb at a 3/8 inch radius, and that is assuming no safety
margin, which would equate to a material able to withstand 43,000 lb per
square inch, as a rule of thumb plain MS works out as around 16 to 20 tons
per square inch.

I will provide more date later today, have to make the customer happy as you request all the time you bastard!

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaninmass View Post
If you can think of other ways to abuse the winch...
Not sure about the winch, others have covered that, but you demonstrated abusing your cable and a tree.
1. Never wrap your winch cable around something and then hook back to the cable. You'll damage the cable.
2. Never wrap a winch cable around a tree, it will cut in to the tree. Use a nylon "tree-saver" web strap.

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

How much can I learn from this site in 1 day!!! Thanks antichrist...I will try to get the tree saver soon. A question about this....is the nylon rope that series 3 guy suggested the same thing or do I need to buy this additionally? If so where?

Anthony

One other question you have "74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)" on your signature...please excuse my ignorance, is that a actual unit for portable air? I have seen some sites that advertise portable air and I was just wondering if this is one of them. I actually have portable air on my F350 build into the rear bumper but, it is only a resevior...no compression.
If this has nothing to do with this then I am sure I will be crucified accordingly.

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM

OMG, LMAO! Newbie Alert. LOL!

An air portable: Late series IIa and Series III Land Rover 88 inch Short Wheel Base. Developed and designed specifically for military use. Official designation is something like : Truck, General service, 1/2 ton, air portable.
Developed to be narrow enough to drive into an Air Force transport, and light enough to be picked up bt UK MoD Medium duty helicopters of the time. They have narrower frame, narrower axles, and basically no flare to the front wings.

Oh lord, that was good.

BTW; I was going to give you some S#*! for the tree also, but figured you had taken enough heat already. Tree Saver is one of the best things you can keep in your truck. Real cheap off eBay.

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Sorry i hurt your feelings but i was trying to make a point, not a very good attempt but still an attempt.

First thing i saw when i saw your set up was how bad it was. That in its self is extremely dangerous if ever used for a real pull and i would hate for some one to come here and see that and think "hey, i can do that too!" and end up with some one in the ground because of it.

If you have ever seen a winch cable brake, or a tow hitch come off under load you know what i am talking about. Imagine that entire winch coming off under load.

Secondly, and this is something that isnt just your fault, i am not a fan of the "its only for looks" deal. I personally dont give a crap if its a roof rack, bead-lock "look" rims, or a winch. But thats my personal opinion and based solely on my inability to understand why people do things that dont make sense.

77 SIII 88
04 DII
08 LR3 HSE
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Reptile Expert

oh god. harbor freight is great for cheap little hand tools and random crap....but not a winch. i understand the concept of a budget build...but you could find a quality winch used to be on the safe side for you and your rover's sake.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaninmass View Post
If you can think of other ways to abuse the winch...short of going off road let me know and I will try.
Even though lifting the front may look good, you are probably only putty around 2,000lb load on a 8000lb winch.
Dragging it along a dirt surface would not put that much extra force on it. You need to put it on a surface with good grip, like a sealed road, and put your foot on the brakes and stall the winch. that is, put the winch at its maximum load.
It is a bit hard to explain, but winching the vehicle from a mud hole, or up and over a rock, places a lot more pressure on the winch than lift the front off the ground.
But I come back to the point that you do not plan to take it off road and just want to recover from the snow, etc. For this purpose, it should be OK.
But if this is all you want it for, I would have designed it to be removable during the non-snow times of the year. That is, you can mount a square tow hitch to the front and mount the winch like a tow point. Leave the winch in the back of the car and only mount it when you need it.

It is all about getting what you need. It appears that you have done this. The knockers here are most likely looking for a winch for off-road use. I would not use what you have for this purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in