Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch - Page 3 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just asked my Dad if he knew what air portable is (He does), He lives in Texas and my mom said he is still laughing.
How in the hell would I know that....are there any series 2 or 3's over here?!?!?! I worked so hard to deal with the asshole answers and sound reasonable but...that really Killed it all.

Even the wife is laughing.

I was talking to my Dad today and I told him one of the people I really liked the most on this subject was the "House guy" just keeps saying you are wrong but does not get into negative feedback no matter what. I really appreciate that.

I still have to stand by my decision this winch was a great purchase if for nothing more than the unbelievable amount of attention that it has drawn.

I have this really sick desire to see what it can really take....wieght...abuse...and in the end if it fails...which I would be surprised if it did not....what have I lost...I am trying to think how I can winch my F350 off the ground or something entertaining.

One thing is for sure I love hard hitting guys that tell what they think straight.

Gunny: I love your thought process...you don't even get what "show" is about! Thank God I am not in charge of any major incursions. It would look very much like a "military Action"
You know what the difference is between me an lets say a Marine is? My life never depended on equipment working. I get to call AAA when my winch fails.

Sad fact is that that idea has not changed for me.

I will continue to impress with pics and if anyone can think of something useful for a chinese winch please let me know, I'm always game for a new challenge.

Anthony
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2- Sold in Texas before moving to cold country
1995 Discovery 1 RIP (Evil daughter abuse)
1995 Discovery 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMarine View Post
Tree Saver is one of the best things you can keep in your truck. Real cheap off eBay.
Everyone, including myself, is having a go at him for having a cheap chinese winch, then it is suggested that he buys the tree protector off eBay. I think it is more important to have a good quality tree trunk protector. The winch may pack up and stop working, but there is a good chance that such an incident would not be as dangerous as the tree trunk protector letting go.

I make sure that anything that can cause me harm is of reasonable quality. That is, winch, cable/rope, shackles, tree trunk protector, winch extension strap, snatch block, snatch strap, etc.

Tree trunk protectors are mainly there to protect the tree. So I make sure I use one on public lands. It looks like his photos were on private land, so it is up to him whether he wants to kill his tree or not. For what he was doing (lifting the front of the ground) is was probably better not to use the protector as the cable would provide a better grip on the tree.
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p76rangie View Post
Tree trunk protectors are mainly there to protect the tree. So I make sure I use one on public lands. It looks like his photos were on private land, so it is up to him whether he wants to kill his tree or not. For what he was doing (lifting the front of the ground) is was probably better not to use the protector as the cable would provide a better grip on the tree.
Safety isn't something you practice only when it's needed. It has to be a habit you've developed so it becomes second nature, otherwise you'll forget some time when you really need it. A tree-saver strap is the same. Just "safety" for the tree. If you rig it properly it will provide plenty of grip.
Also, based on the winch, mount, cable laying, hooking the line back on itself, I'm guessing he's pretty clueless when it comes to winch safety. You know as well as I do how dangerous they can be.

As for only using for being stuck in the snow, I fully expect that someday before long he'll be stuck in something other than snow and say, "Hey, I've got a great 8k lb winch" and end up, at best, breaking something. It takes a lot of experience to know when stop and say, "No, my tools aren't capable of that." And he said the winch is for show. Based on that, and other comments, I'm guessing he would be reluctant to say, in a real stuck situation, that his winch/mount can't handle it. That wouldn't put on a very good show.

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
If you rig it properly it will provide plenty of grip.
A tree trunk protector would just slide down the tree unless you looped it back through one of its eyes and connected the winch to the remaining eye. But this is not safe use of a tree truck protector.

I use a tree trunk protector 99% of the time. Sometimes it is not practical or I just can't be stuffed getting it out for a light winch. But then again I will also get out the chainsaw and cut down a tree or use the bull bar to knock it over if I consider it necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
As for only using for being stuck in the snow, I fully expect that someday before long he'll be stuck in something other than snow and say, "Hey, I've got a great 8k lb winch" and end up, at best, breaking something. It takes a lot of experience to know when stop and say, "No, my tools aren't capable of that." And he said the winch is for show. Based on that, and other comments, I'm guessing he would be reluctant to say, in a real stuck situation, that his winch/mount can't handle it. That wouldn't put on a very good show.
I am yet to see a winch fail in such a way that there is any significant risk. The risk is simply you don't get out of where ever you are stuck. The mounting is a different issue, but from the pictures I can't really tell whether it is safe or not.

In regard to knowing whether something is not capable of the job, sometimes you have to use what you've got and hope it works.

But I am not starting another debate with you as it goes nowhere.

Currently he has a winch that suits what he intends using it for and he is happy with it. I have also purchased a cheaper winch in the past (Warn Magnum) and know the false economy of buying cheap stuff as you end up throwing it in the bin. But I know a number of people who have cheap winches and are very happy as they are not serious off-roaders and may use the winch for the occasional light recovery.

I think he has learnt that he has to be careful about what he brags about on this forum. He also now knows what a air portal is, and I don't think his disco will be climbing anymore trees. He has taken on board all the criticism and appears to want to learn. We all had to learn somewhere, even though some refuse to.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
A tree trunk protector would just slide down the tree unless you looped it back through one of its eyes and connected the winch to the remaining eye. But this is not safe use of a tree truck protector.
I said, "if you rig it properly". What you described isn't what I would consider "properly". Find a rigger to show you.

Quote:
I am yet to see a winch fail in such a way that there is any significant risk.
I was addressing his particular set-up. That includes the winch and mount. They should be considered as a unit. I've worked around winches of many types and sizes since the 70's and have seen them fail, including catastrophically. He obviously isn't aware of just how dangerous a winch can be. But many people who have them aren't.
I agree that we can't tell much about the mount from the photos.

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dad,
This is for you, probably the most modest man I know and yet still put up with my constant creativity (dangerous at times no doubt )

Thank everyone for all that I have learned on this site.

ArmyRover....Your generous request makes me think of the movie....Luke, I am your father turn to the dark side. Thank you and really am looking forward to talking more about it...I will E-mail you!

Now to the crazy Texas stuff...as Garth plays on the LR truck...we shall be free...!!

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-bring-back-memories-dad.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-tiffany-please-let-truck-drop-him.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-if-anthony-dies-do-i-get-more-bionicles...hmmmmm.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-how-much-does-d1-wieght.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-6000-pounds-believe-bitch.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-callatoral-damage.-please-find-me-new-daddy.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-worship-chinese-winch.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-bling-pose-terrified-nieghbors.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-tree-killer.jpg

Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch-damn-what-i-am-i-doing-messin-worthless-winch.jpg

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony

Anthony
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2- Sold in Texas before moving to cold country
1995 Discovery 1 RIP (Evil daughter abuse)
1995 Discovery 1
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
bring your butt should be a good time

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaninmass View Post
Hi Dad,
This is for you, probably the most modest man I know and yet still put up with my constant creativity (dangerous at times no doubt )

ArmyRover....Your generous request makes me think of the movie....Luke, I am your father turn to the dark side. Thank you and really am looking forward to talking more about it...I will E-mail you!

Now to the crazy Texas stuff...as Garth plays on the LR truck...we shall be free...!!

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony
You had to prove me wrong. That is, I thought that the disco would not be climbing anymore trees. You had to go and find a bigger tree. Your mad and it is the most stupid thing I have ever seen done to a Disco, but I got a good laugh out of it.

How did you get it back on the wheels?

Crazy Texans!!!

Can't wait for Antichrist's reply.
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Sill laughing and still can't get over what people will do.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Hi Dad,

Dear Anthony

Raising you as a child was a difficult time.
Your learning disabilities were never overcome ,and you continue to prove to me and the world that you will always be an idiot.
It scares me to think that my grandson is in your presence when you have your idiot outbreaks , I know that he thinks your an idiot as well as at times he has confided in me as to what a really dumb ass his dad is.
Well my son you were one dumb ass growing up and your a bigger dumbass now.
Please choose to do your dumbass stunts on your own as losing you would be no great loss to the world ,one less dumb ass is a good thing.

Iím embarrassed to have you as my son so please donít refer to me as dad ever again.

Your the perfect poster child for

YOU JUST CANT FIX STUPID.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Disco AKA:Nyati
SD Roofrack
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Dad,

Attachment 17552

Attachment 17553

Attachment 17554

Attachment 17555

Attachment 17556

Attachment 17557

Attachment 17558

Attachment 17559

Attachment 17560

Attachment 17561

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony
I quit.....

77 SIII 88
04 DII
08 LR3 HSE
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You know what the difference is between me an lets say a Marine is? My life never depended on equipment working. I get to call AAA when my winch fails.
(Phonecall to AAA) "Yeah Hi, AAA? Um yeah, my truck is stuck up in a tree...Can you tow me out? Hello? Hello?"

Current:
95 LWB Avalon Blue

Previous:
99 D1
73 Series SWB
95 LWB Beluga Black
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Sven i was thinking more along
Please help my winch broke and my truck fell on my son , his chest is crushed and he cant breath.
Please help quickly hes dieing.
ill never forgive my self for being a dumbass sob.

2004 Disco AKA:Nyati
SD Roofrack
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
(Phonecall to AAA) "Yeah Hi, AAA? Um yeah, my truck is stuck up in a tree...Can you tow me out? Hello? Hello?"
LMAO

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Everyone, including myself, is having a go at him for having a cheap chinese winch, then it is suggested that he buys the tree protector off eBay. I think it is more important to have a good quality tree trunk protector. The winch may pack up and stop working, but there is a good chance that such an incident would not be as dangerous as the tree trunk protector letting go.

I make sure that anything that can cause me harm is of reasonable quality. That is, winch, cable/rope, shackles, tree trunk protector, winch extension strap, snatch block, snatch strap, etc.

Ian, I know you're from Oz, but stop burying your head in the sand. I told him to get one off eBay as a source. Never said anything to him about what manufacturer to look at, you bloody idiot. Mine happens to be a WARN, which I bought new in the box for 20.00 less than MSRP from an eBay distributor. My recovery kit for my 12K Warn winch was also bought off of eBay, brand new in the case, for 0ver 100.00 less than MSRP, and it's also a WARN product, and the part number called for by Warn to use with my winch. Damn kit retails for over 400.00 in the u.s..

Great Quote:

You'd never call a retarded kid a retard; you call your Friends retards, when they're acting retarded.

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in