Great deal on an 8,000 pound winch - Page 4 - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Army; grab this idiot texan, pick up the colonel, and bring this boy up to my mother's property on lake sunapee. Tom keeps telling me he wants to use it for a SNHLR weekend, and obviously our crazy texan can pull down or run over any trees that may be blocking the paths.

Tex; Please join SNHLR so you can see how many Series trucks are actually in New England alone. And so that somebody can train you how to offroad, drive, recover, trail-ride, green-lane, fish, hunt, breathe, live, etc... RESPONSIBLY. Before you hurt yourself, or MORE IMPORTANTLY, someone else. Or worse...

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM

TEXANINMASS

Do your self a bit of a favour and just browse this link to see some very basic Instructions when it comes to the use of a Winch . It may be of some help to you.
Titan Winches and Offroad recovery equipment ::

Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 AM

Good post Duncan. I keep forgetting you're still on here from time to time. You're the perfect member to lend some rationality to this thread.

"In certain places, at certain hours, gazing at the sea is dangerous. It is what looking at a woman sometimes is." - Victor Hugo

Originally Posted by Elemental
Some guys play hard to get, I play hard to want.

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaninmass View Post
Hi Dad,
This is for you, probably the most modest man I know and yet still put up with my constant creativity (dangerous at times no doubt )

Thank everyone for all that I have learned on this site.

ArmyRover....Your generous request makes me think of the movie....Luke, I am your father turn to the dark side. Thank you and really am looking forward to talking more about it...I will E-mail you!

Now to the crazy Texas stuff...as Garth plays on the LR truck...we shall be free...!!

Attachment 17552

Attachment 17553

Attachment 17554

Attachment 17555

Attachment 17556

Attachment 17557

Attachment 17558

Attachment 17559

Attachment 17560

Attachment 17561

Such fun!

Peace out,
Anthony

I think you are officially the biggest dumb ass I have ever seen. You are so ignorant and stupid it amazes me!

Sell that damn truck before you kill your kid or someone else.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Dugaboy,
You been reading my private mail from my Dad?

Duncan: great link.

XtremeMarine:
He is way ahead of you, I'm headed there this weekend, although everyone will probably keep me 500 yards away from the rest.

P76Rangie:
We had safety chains, you can see them in the lifted picture, hooked to both the bottom and above the Chinese winch cable, we had saftey chains on the top and 2-2 ton come alongs attached in case of foreign winch failure.
The bottom chain was attached to wife wifes Chevy 4x4 blazer. (Great recovery hooks on the front of that truck, they actually come right through the front of the bumper) We just pulled it back onto it's wheels after our little back yard excursion.

SVen:
I have the gold card with AAA but, since most of my life I have normally driven the F350 dually, they don't provide service for that big of a truck.
That truck has a fun little winch on it as well. I took it off a wrecker. It is PTO driven, I believe the load rating is around 10 tons (Not sure though, I have never had the need to use it), but I bet it would have taken care of the green gal.

Anthony

Anthony
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2- Sold in Texas before moving to cold country
1995 Discovery 1 RIP (Evil daughter abuse)
1995 Discovery 1
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

One other comment, based on the pulling power of this winch I would say that it was at its limit at 6000 pounds. It didn't overheat but that was probably due to the fact that it is very slow and I did not keep trying to kill it after I got the truck off the ground.

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMarine View Post
Army; grab this idiot texan, pick up the colonel,

Tex; Please join SNHLR so you can see how many Series trucks are actually in New England alone. And so that somebody can train you how to offroad, drive, recover, trail-ride, green-lane, fish, hunt, breathe, live, etc... RESPONSIBLY. Before you hurt yourself, or MORE IMPORTANTLY, someone else. Or worse...
Way ahead of you and he'll be a snhlr member on sunday. I look at it as a personnel challenge to train young grasshopper.

Tex no we'll be at least 1000 yards off

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol
2007 Chawton White LR3 Proud Rhino lift rods
1983 Trident Green 110, TerraFirma suspension, and bumpers
1991 Range Rover Classic Hunter Eastnor Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Way ahead of you and he'll be a snhlr member on sunday. I look at it as a personnel challenge to train young grasshopper.

Tex no we'll be at least 1000 yards off
Well that seems to be settled for the best . It has been a litte difficult for me not to get involved in this thread especially with some of the advise and misguided comments that have been made by a certain participant.
Cheers.

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Rover-Holic and Admin

The Land Rover community has to take care of each other....

1972 MGB
2006 Bonatti Grey LR3 Proud Rhino Bumper, Baja Rack and TF underbody skid plates almost 33's lol

post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaninmass View Post
One other comment, based on the pulling power of this winch I would say that it was at its limit at 6000 pounds.
Like any drum winch, it only has it's rated capacity with one layer of cable on the drum (layer, not wraps). If you've only got about 20' of cable payed out, an 8.000lb winch would only be capable of pulling about 4500-5000lbs.

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
67 NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
95 D1 - R380
95 D90 - R380
97 D1 - ZF
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Rover-Holic and Admin

A quick update to this gem of a thread.

Anthony came out with us on Sunday and I can safely say learned a lot about winching, kinetic ropes, recovery techniques, and off road driving techniques.

He got to see a few winch recoveries some simple some complex using snatch blocks, additional vehicles to anchor the winch rig and tree saver straps etc(what can I say if I'm going to break my rig I'm going to make it interesting). He also got to be on the receiving end of a recovery as well.

All and all I think a good working respect for winch use was achieved to everyones benefit not just his.

His whole family came out for the day with us and got to see and learn as well and I think his wife might have even been bitten by the Rover bug.

When I get some free time tonight I'll post up pics of the event.

So all's well that ends well.

1972 MGB

post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Founder: SNHLR.ORG

It took a SNHLR member to hang his vehicle out of a tree....how embarrassing...LOL !!! We'll learn this boy some manners New Hampshire style!!! By teaching.

"Life is tough! Life is tougher when you're stupid!" -John Wayne
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Founder: SNHLR.ORG

To bring this thread up again, I just want to say that TexInMass has used that winch on many occassions and it has yet to fail him. The winch works great. Ive seen it work and am still waiting for the failure. Damn thing just keeps pulling him out! 9 months and counting! I've seen WARN winches crap out sooner than that!

"Life is tough! Life is tougher when you're stupid!" -John Wayne
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Damn thing is still working great.

Definitively won't be winching my truck into any tree anytime soon but, it really has been a great tool. Some really good pics of me pulling a couple of Jeeps out of the mud and many others that I will post some time.

My lesson learned is...buy a Craigslist Warn if you can get your hands on it cheap enough and under no circumstances get pissed and winch your truck into a tree to prove your point...the fallout just never goes away.

I wonder how many people on in this thread have moved on to other vehicles other than LR's...?

I love my poor cheap old Harbor Freight winch and I damn sure love my 248,000 mile truck that it is attached to.

It would seem the site lost the pics awhile back and though I am not that excited about sharing them..it is what it is..

https://picasaweb.google.com/109888763704428946566/LandRoverInTree02?authkey=Gv1sRgCLWmtKXprOvK_wE&fe at=directlink

BTW The truck looks nothing like this now, many updates.

Cheers,
Tex

Anthony
1995 Discovery 1
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe I have had this winch for 12 years now! I have never had to do a thing to it and I have used it for more projects than I can count....not to mention winching myself out...I have to say I am sure glad I didn't listen to the trolls in this thread back when I posted this...what I great deal on a product that I would have never thought would have lasted so long....

Here is a Jeep that received a little Harbor Freight love..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NfrLJB2ZiLMayQ2S9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	729_cls(1).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	87129  

1995 Discovery 1

245k original miles

2" Lift..... 265/75/16 Tires.....Modified headliner....Bumper supported rear gate for water & gas jerry cans/spare tire/chain saw....Inverted/extended roof rack....8000 pound custom installed Harbor Freight winch w/ interior and exterior remote controls....top front mounted twin HID lights....Halogen side and rear lights....Hood mounted spare tire.....Front and rear cameras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in