Hello all;Newbie here just saying hello - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Hello all;Newbie here just saying hello

Again Hello all just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have been a long time fan of Land Rovers every since I was little kid. Had not ever had the opportunity to ever drive one until about ten years ago. A friend had White Defender. Love at first drive. He later sold it, I was too poor at the time to get it for myself. Nevertheless, I never lost the taste. Back in 2002 I bought a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80 and I love it!!! Rock solid and reliable albeit a large truck it was a bit smallish inside,I am 6'3"s tall. Late 2003 I sold it to my sister who needed something reliable with some utility,she hate mini-vans. Something to haul the kids with. I jumped back into a luxury sedan buying a Lexus ES-300 wonderful car super reliable and safe and very boring. January of 2005 I bought a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer as a fun DIY project. Although running very well now the restoration is still ongoing. The Lexus was totalled by an uninsured motorist last year in May. I then opted for my other dream machine a 1999 BMW 750IL, my current love. However, I keep eyeing Land Rover's. I have decided now is the time!!!! I'd love a Defender but unfortunately that's out of my price range right now. So I have been trying to research Disco's. So that brings me here. Looking forward to learning a lot. I recently found a 1997 Discovery SE7 with a 114000 on the clock looks and runs clean. The owner is the second owner and is asking $4k??? What do you all think??
Thanks in advance looking forward to joining the club!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Rocky Mountain High

Price sounds right for that year and mileage. You have great taste in cars. What are you going to use the rover for? I have a 1992 Range Rover and I love it!! it has just shy of 200,000 miles and is still going! Land Rovers do not have the power or speed of your other cars. But they are very reliable. In my family we have 2 range rovers. Mine and a 1997. I say go for it.

Don't Take Life to Serious, You'll Never Get Out Alive

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Colorado's own 'jacked up little kid' is Funrover. And he's usualy in the springs.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply!! Good question I am not exactly sure which way I will go with the Rover once I get it. For sure it will have to do more than just street duty. If I do a 6" lift on my Jeep GW, I will probably not lift the Discovery. Far as use is concerned I 'll probably use my jeep for some light tow duty,cargo hauling,and some off road thrashing and general adventuring.
The Rover for bigger longer off-road excursions. I am sure once I own one and live with it I will know more. Going to test drive the Rover In question this weekend. Anything I should look out for??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Louiseven: We love our Disco but.....one point you might want to consider - I'm only 5' 7" and so I have the seat on our 96 Disco at about the midpoint of the travel and I have to hold my right leg in an uncomfortable position on the gas pedal. Make sure you fit the driving ergonomics better than I do...
Also, get a CarChip and a service manual; hope you are handy!

---------------------
Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Rocky Mountain High

Look for leaks from the head gasket area... cracked manifolds, oil leaks(which they almost all have HAHAHAHA) check the radius arm/trailing arm bushings.. If automatic... the transmision will clunk when put in revers or drive, no real worries there. also check power steering for leaks. there is a site www.rangerovers.net thet will give you a great idea what to look for as far as motor etc.. the rangis do share a lot with disco's. if the disco has the sunroofs check operation and for water leaks. As far as your height, my tall friends are about 50/50 half off them love them the other half hate them... depends on what make you comfortable.

Oh make sure the tach works.... if not it could be a simple conection or an alternator going out. of course check the 4wd selector and all eletrronics..A good overview in general... I have always had a rover shop give it a look over after I do! Good luck and happy buying!

Don't Take Life to Serious, You'll Never Get Out Alive

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Colorado's own 'jacked up little kid' is Funrover. And he's usualy in the springs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. This weekend's test drive did not happen. The owner had an family emergency. Shooting for sometime this week however. Still looking however.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
It's all about my Blue Balls!

Welcome to the forum... keep us updated on your new love

Silly Boys!... Range Rovers are for girls!

Cars:

1988 Range Rover Classic (aka Blue Balls)
1999 Discovery II (Blue Balls Junior)

Soon ---- 1990 Range Rover Classic County Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel
Louiseven: We love our Disco but.....one point you might want to consider - I'm only 5' 7" and so I have the seat on our 96 Disco at about the midpoint of the travel and I have to hold my right leg in an uncomfortable position on the gas pedal.
I guess it depends on your driving style I'm 6'2" or there abouts and I'm perfectly comfortable in the Disco. But then I've also owned cars like a Fiat 850 spider and a Series Rover which make the disco seem quite roomy in comparison.

'88 RRC POS WIP

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM
MG

Good luck with the LR hunt and welcome to LRO.

You may also want to take a close look at the front footwells and the cargo space padding - the padding holds water like a champ, so rust is very common there. The water normally comes from leaky alpine windows or clogged A/C drains...

I'm 6'4" and absolutely love driving the Beast - great view, wonderful head room, very comfortable ride...

Let us know how it goes.

'95 Disco I, 3.9L V8i 5-speed - sold
Back in Wisconsin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in