Need Advice - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Need Advice

My 1998 disco had the MAF sensor replaced 3 weeks ago due to frequent hesistations of the engine. In addition to the MAF I also had the ignition wires changed in October. The truck currently has has 89,000 miles on it.

Driving home last night the check engine light came on yet again. I was driving up a steep incline (highway) and the temperature outside was about 30 degrees. There seemed to be some slight problem with the shifting of automatic gears going up the hill. What could be going on now?
This is the 4th time since I got the truck in August that the check engine light has come on.
Previous times when the light has come on the truck had some kind of acceleration problem or mis-fire.

Is it common for the check engine light to come on with such frequency? How soon should I get this checked out?
Every time the light comes on, I bring the truck to the dealership to get it checked out. I don't want to take any chances with the truck breaking down on me as this is the vehicle I drive my kids around in.

I love my Land Rover...since August I have invested about $2000 into repairs.
Is it time to look for a new mode of transportation?

Thank you all in advance for your guidance and expertise.

Cathy

1998 Discovery Series I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 AM
PPR

You should get it looked at. And with it cutting out like that, there's a good chance it will be easier for whoever looks at it to diagnose it properly.

If it hasn't been maintained very well since new, this could be a long ride. If it has, it's probably just a bump in the road.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It is not normal to have the check engine light come on that often. Sounds like you could have some under lying issue causing this to come up.
You might want to check with your local Auto Zone or some other parts store scan for your codes and see what is showing up.
Mike J.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
You should get it looked at. And with it cutting out like that, there's a good chance it will be easier for whoever looks at it to diagnose it properly.

If it hasn't been maintained very well since new, this could be a long ride. If it has, it's probably just a bump in the road.
I agree with Silver Streak! Do you know the service history? What service/parts have you put into it since ownership? If it seems like a tranny problem, have you checked or changed the tranny fluid? If not you might want to get that refreshed and with 89K miles, you might want to change the trans. filter(if you already haven't done all that). Let us know how everything turns out. Good luck.

When my wife and I went to pick up her new(to us) 2000 D2 from the dealer, we got about a half a mile from the dealer and the check engine light came on! We struggled with three check engine lights in the first couple months of ownership, but they figured out the problem and it has been a joy ever since!
Hang in there!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Badger1

Since August I have had the ignition wires changed, a new MAF sensor installed, a sunroof leak repaired, the rear diff gasket changed, carbon build-up in the engine removed and complete oil change top to bottom.

Previous service history on this Disco is no where to be found so I am trying my best to take the best care of my truck. The dealership I have been taking it to has been wonderful. Hopefully I won't have to see them so often in the future.

Thanks for the advice...
Cathy

1998 Discovery Series I
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Forward!

Just hang in there... I was at our local dealership last week to pick up a new belt, and the salesman that sold my wife her D2 mentioned that he barely sees us anymore. That is a good thing. Once things start to get sorted you'll notice fewer and fewer trips to the shop. Just remember you're not driving a Toyota, so you are going to spend more time maintaining and upkeeping your LR.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, Badger said it right: these are not 'appliance vehicles' that you just drive around town. You need to ask yourself if the extra attention to the truck is really part of your current world. Please don't misunderstand me, my wife loves her Disco (named Stumpy) but I play with it every week and do most of the servicing myself. For example, new oxygen sensors (Part # ERR 1834) are $625 Cdn each and you need to replace all 4 of them every 30 to 50,000 miles. This kind of expense can kill a family that is not swimming in disposable income. Now if you buy the parts on the 'net for $120 US each and spend the hour installing them yourself, life with a LandRover isn't bad at all. Is there a mechanic in the family?

If you bought the truck used and are already questioning your wisdom, think it over carefully again. Is this your primary vehicle or can you allow the Disco to be laid up from time to time? Time has been the most important asset for happiness with a Land Rover for us - if you need it to run everyday with no problems indefinitely, get an appliance vehicle. Of the 5 or so families we know that bought these trucks between '94 and '98, we are the only ones that have enjoyed the wonderful off-road performance and enjoy the vehicle's personality. The other families bought Volvo, Mercedes or Toyota/Lexus as replacements (the Mercedes buyers were very unhappy and dumped the vehicle back on the dealership lot - endless problems - they then also bought a Volvo AWD wagon)

So, at the risk of being considered a forum heretic, be honest with yourself as you think over whether or not to keep the Disco.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Pavel,

Thanks so much for your insight and honesty. Our previous mode of transportation was a 1999 Passat which was a dream. Was in the shop only a couple of times. We traded that vehicle for the Disco with my nephew.
Our other car is a lease of a 2003 J**P. We usually lease cars and never have them in the shop for repairs.

I love this truck but I am a pediatric nurse not a mechanic. If I was a part time mechanic I would be able to save some money on engine repairs.
With transporting my kids here and there I need a realiable mode of transportation. And as much as I would love to take the Disco off road...I don't see that in the near future.

I will try and hang on to her as long as I can. I take alot of pride in driving her around town.

Thanks again,
Cathy

1998 Discovery Series I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in