Stupid question from new member/new D1 owner - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stupid question from new member/new D1 owner

Hello all, just found this forum and signed up. Quick question - I recently bought a 96 D1 SD, alas one or more of the original owner's 7 kids absconded with the manual, and the only button I haven't been able to ID is on the console near the clock; it looks like a highway with an overpass. I've seen similar buttons while riding tour coaches in the UK, but haven't been able to figure out what it does, so I'd be quite grateful if someone could please explain. Thanks much!

Druid
96 D1 "Leftenant Paddington"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up

HAHAHAHAAAA....Oh man thats too funny, I too had the same dilema with that darn button until one day i had to go to use the john and the first thing i grabbed was my owner's manual. Its the button than engages Cruise Control (Cruise Control Master Switch), after pushing that, you accelerate to the speed you desire to be on cruise control, then press the SET button on the steering wheel. You have to be traveling atleast 28mph. After its on, you can then use the same SET buttong (which also has a "+" on it) to accelerate or the "-" to reduce speed. Cruise Control will stop working if you step on the brake or go into N. But the set speed is in memory so when you get rolling again, press RES ( same button as "-") and it will go back to the speed. The speed in the memory will be cancelled if you press the Master Switch off or turn the car off. BUT...dont be surprised if this doesnt work, as the Cruise Control ECUs are known for goin out. So keep your fingers crossed. Happy Roverin and Welcome to the Fam
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much, both for the info and the welcome. The least I can do in return is offer a trick my dad discovered when we recently had to replace the auto-dimming mirror in my D1. Rather than tapping down on the mirror stem to loosen it from the mounting bracket, which can crack the windshield due to the angle, try using a rag or a finger-thickness piece of cotton rope to gently tug on the stem, following the angle of the windshield. I also recommend using a little bit of WD40 as you go to help loosen it up. After about five minutes or so of easy going, the mirror came off the bracket easily and I was able to slide the new mirror into place with no trouble. It's the only maintenance trick I've got up my sleeve so far, but it worked for me. Again, thanks for the help and the welcome. Cheers

Druid

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM

That's amazing!..Thank you for that!...As a matter a fact not too long ago it had crossed my mind that i should probably replace mine, because i dont think the Autodimming is workin for me, and with all the Darn F-350s on Semi-Truck tires around here, their 12k Xenon headlights are DIRECTLY at RearViewMirror-Level so it drives me crazy!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 PM
LRO Founder

I HATE autodimming.. HATE it... makes everything too dark....

Serg

Current Vehicles:
1994 Defender 90, 35k original miles
2003 BMW 540iT M Sport
2004 Element Skateboard (Indy trucks, Bones Swiss, etc...)

Past LR's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Honestly, I'd have preferred to just switch to a standard 2-prism, more practical and much cheaper; autodimming does have its advantages, though, in heavily trafficked areas like US1 in the Princeton-Trenton region, near me. However, the techs at the dealership said the mountings are completely different, and a changeover would require a whole new windshield, so I had to bite it and cough up the 300 bucks to import a new autodimmer from the UK.
As for the tugging trick, that one actually came from musical instrument repair, if you'd believe it. My dad was a high school music teacher for 38 years, and he's had plenty of experience using this trick to loosen stuck tuning slides on brass instruments. He suggested we try it, since most of the dealerships were a bit leery about trying the tapping method, due to the glass cracking risk. We gave it a shot, and it worked.

Druid
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Hey Druid,

I used to work out in Cranbury.... you plan on going off-road with the Disco?

John C

1999 DI - LR HD Springs
1996 DI - parting out
1995 DI - parting out Scorpion Racing Extreme Kit
1994 RRC LWB - 3" AG lift
1991 RR - parting out (few parts left)
1990 Kawasaki KL650B Tengai - parting out
1989 Kawasaki KLR650
1988 Kawasaki KLR650 - parting out
1979 Puch XK
1980 Puch Magnum MKII
1980 Puch Magnum MKII - parting out
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the lateness of the reply, been ridiculously busy with finals lately. I do plan on doing some off-roading soon; as of July 1st I will (pending a favorable credit check) be moving to Plainsboro. I'm originally from the Monroe area and know a decent spot there that's technically a public road but is more of a goat path, and great for off-roading. I have a buddy with a customed Grand Cherokee I'm going to do some four-wheel outings with down in the Pine Barrens, and am looking forward to it.

Druid
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:13 AM
In Hell

Cruise control victim too on my 96 D1 SE7. Although it took me about 3 months to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in