Transfer case dilema.... - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transfer case dilema....

Okay, Well this is my first post since I joined the site today.

I own a 96 LR Disco 1 and Have had quite a history with this vehicle. Good solid vehicle when running!

Anyways, About a year ago I had the Transfer case replaced w/ a salvaged TC off of a LR that was involved in a Rollover accident. So, Had it put in by a privately owned garage; Which was great to find one who could work on it, rather than having a LR dealership take on the task and me paying the difference!

Well, When I got the vehicle back; Everything seemed to be running great and there wasn't any horrible banging noise! Others who have experienced transfer case issues know what i'm refering too. But about a week later, while takeing it on a hunting trip, I notice that my LR wouldn't shift properly. The engine would rev up excessively past 3000 rpm's and it would only shift at 4-6. Not only this, but the somtimes the odometter would stick and it wouldn't shift at all!

WIth all this into considering, I have made an appointment with the Garage again and hopefully they'll be able to diagnosed the problem accurately. They do have a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty on any engine work/labor, and new parts ordered. But Considering The TC was used, it's not covered. But, Both I and a employee at the garage thinks it possible something they did with a cable not getting linked up properly or something else happend when the TC was installed. so, it would be covered under warranty if it was something on their side.

THough, ANother thought could be Tranny issues.

Therefore, what do you guys think is the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Garage
check the CDL, sounds like the shifter is going into neutral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'98 Disco I LE, 4.0 ,auto, 130k, 3"RTE lift, 265/75/16 ,RTE frt bumper,10k winch, digi camo headliner, and HMans approval
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo View Post
check the CDL, sounds like the shifter is going into neutral
Thanks lambo. That may be why it won't shift into 4 Lo at all. The TC won't won't budge. I did decide to have a guy test drive the thing with me and he thinks it could be a combination of diff. things. Though, I end up calling up the original garage, that the original work was done, and they say it was shifting before because they test all of their labor before releasing the vehicle to the owner. SO, He doubts it would end up being something on their end. This is probably the last time I take to a general automotive shop. It may of possibly freezed up again since that time but the TC I had put in barely has over 1,000 mil.. since it was installed. (it had 93,000 miles prior). Put I'll have them look under again and hopefully, have it still covered under their warranty.

Second issue is: what I've feared the most and that there is going to have to be some Tranny work done. It shifts from 1-2 fine, 2-3 okay and but struggles to down shift , until you let up on the gas. Also, I'll probably have to replace the Tranny bar-lift at the bottom.

Which, brings me to a new dilema. I have a recall at the only Landrover dealership in my paticular state, to have the gas tank replaced. So, I'll probably end up taking a road trip up there and having do the recall and then, request transmission and a general inspection. Which, I heard it costs atleast $35-to couple hundred to tap into my vehicles computer. Though, I've read of people taking it to a local mechanic and be able to do it for free.

So, I have a choice. Either, Get the Transfer case atleast fix and just sell the vehicle as it is for $2,500 or the other option, Put in $1500-2200 worth of tranny work (whether, having my Tranny rebuild or just buying a used one on E-bay) and get 10-14 more years out of the vehicle.

The Truck is in good shape otherwise. Very little rust, some paint wear (not severe-guy at general store thought it came from the west coast) and some other electric issues but has under 100k and the engine runs great, just needs another simple oil change.

So, what would you guys do?

Last edited by LRPo$$ed96; 09-29-2010 at 06:20 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, The Transfer case is now fixed. It needed some serious sanding down and some lube. But it ended up not being covered under their warranty anyways. Turns out it just freezed up from the moister of last winter. They discovered my E-brake cable is broke ( the cable may of rusted through aswell).

Also, It ultimately looks like a Internal Transmission Issue. I'll probably get the computer tapped into and see what's exactly wrong. Whether, it's a Sensor that has gotten bad or if I just need the Tranny rebuild altogether.

I'll probably end up selling it anyways for 2,700-2,500 or be interested in a trade for a pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum > Land Rover Model Forums > Discovery Series I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in