Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission temp light just came on. I went to check the fluid level and I cant find the filler or the stick???????? :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
It doesn't have a dipstick...Surprise! It's kind of strange to check an automatic this way, but it's just like checking a stickshift, with one exception: it's done with the engine running. You have to crawl under with an 8mm allen wrench. Remove the plug from the leading end of the transmission oil pan. I fashioned a crude dipstick from a piece of coat hanger. If the oil level is up to the bottom of the hole (or within a few mm), it's OK. If you're concerned about burnt fluid, you might want to dip a q-tip in there so you get a decent quantity to look at, and smell it. If it's low, you have to use a suction gun or pump oiler, or some such apparatus to add some. It's kind of a pain. You might just take it to your local quick-lube joint and let them do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I need a better description of the bolt to check the level. I found one toward the front of the transmission that was a hex bolt about 1/4 of the way up and there is fluid behind that one.

My light illuminates then goes off then it blinks and now it not illuminated? I have never had any fluid leaks and cant believe that the fluid would be low. I just cant think what else could be making the light to go off ?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How long has it been since you changed your fluid?
What sort of driving were you doing when the light came on?
The light usually comes on when the transmission gets hot. Have the Mode light come on, that would be the flashing s on the dash? If it comes on then you are looking at more of a mechanical problem.
By the way the bolt you are looking for is towards the rear of the transmission, facing the rear of the truck.
Mike J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,

The light that came on was in the upper right hand corner, it was red and looked like a thermometer of some sort. The light was not blinking or flashing in a pattern, it was on for 30 seconds and go out for a few seconds then flicker and come back on for a few more seconds

As for the type of driving I had only been driving for about 10 min. I pulled into a parking lot and I noticed the light come on.

It has 48K miles on it and I dont know if the fluid has ever been changed but it looks real clean.

Thanks Jamie....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe I took the wrong plug out of mine. It's facing the front of the truck, and takes an 8mm allen. Could there be more than one variety in a 2000 disco?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Jay, I think I was having a grey out, I ment the front.
If you have 48,000 miles on your truck and you are not sure about its service history I would suggest you get the transmission serviced right away if not sooner.
They only cost about $3700 for a new replacement so stay on top of the service, should be done every 25 to 30,000 miles depending on the type of driving.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something you might check:
The flickering behavior of the light sounds like you might have a wire that has rubbed through the insulation and is grounding occasionally and turning on the light. I had an oil pressure light do that once, and scared me good! Wasn't on a Rover; it was a Volvo, but it might function tha same way. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, now the light illuminates continuously and comes on as soon as the vehicle is started before it even has a chance to warm up. :freak:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So what else does your truck have to do to get your attention, you now have locked a hard code into your computer because there is a problem. Go take it in tomorrow, don't wait or you will be paying the big bucks soon while you keep wonderong what to do next.
Mike J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brought it to the dealer today and they said it it most likely the wiring. They just had me make an appointment for 01/28 so they can look at it and reset the light. I guess they are pretty sure about it not acually being a problem with the transmission because they told me to go ahead and drive it. If it breaks its on warranty so Its their money.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jamie....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts