Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a Disco II and it began overheating after about 2 miles of highway driving. Since then I have had the coolant hoses, thermostat, and water pump replaced. However, when I picked the truck up the mechanic told me that the temp gauge was not accurate and that although it was in the red and the light was on, it was still running within normal temp.
I bought an OBDII gauge and ran it real time. It said that at idle it was running at 235°. I called the mechanic and he said that that was to be expected because it is going to register whatever the gauge is showing.
I also noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust.
I realize that that was a lot of info, but I'm in love with this truck and I'm trying to get it working so that my wife can have a vehicle so that my daughter doesn't have to take the bus to school.

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
time to get a new mechanic. 235 is way too hot. You could have any of several things that need to be addressed. There may be air in the system, radiator clogged, engine block could be full of crud. I would not run the engine at these temps, white smoke from exhaust is normally oil burning, if it actually steam, could be as simple as a head gasket or worse slipped sleeves or cracked block or head.
Bleed the system to get all the air out, if that does nothing you may want to flush the radiator and engine block.
You can test the coolant to see if there is CO2 present, and if there is, you need to find out where it is coming from, Head gasket is a common problem with these engines when they are run at over 210-220 degrees

Are you in Austin or is that just your username?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Oh boy where to start other than to say welcome to the forum.
Sounds like the only truth you received from you " mechanic" is that these gauge are not accurate" by that I mean
They read normal below normal
They read normal when normal
And read normal when above normal.
They do notcreep up as it starts to overheat! one glance you see normal and the next it reads in the red. More often than not if you hit the red its "game over".... And yes 235 is pretty much game over.
If it is now smoking white out the exhaust you likely have severe internal damage. Head gasket at best, possible head damage or block damage.
Have you checked the oil? If it is mucky / milky then you have a definite internal failure.
How mechanical are you?
There are lots of threads on here about engines and overheating. You may want to do some reading and educate yourself some more.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Oh yea ...one more thing. The mechanic is full of crap to tell you readings in the red o.k.

But I guess you proved that when you got the 235 reading yourself.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
time to get a new mechanic. 235 is way too hot...... white smoke from exhaust is normally oil burning, if it actually steam,
ff

Agree with most of what you wrote joe . But..
To clarify
"White smoke is not oil burning it is actually steam from coolant being burned in a cylinder / cylinders.:crying

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
Ok, Oil burning normally has a blueish tint, but white smoke can also be caused by unburnt fuel.
Sometime it takes a trained eye to tell the difference.
I agree, the problem he is describing sounds like typical overheating issue. And if the engine has gotten that hot for any extended time his rings could be crystallized and letting some oil past.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Austin
As a gauge for you;
I just spent a little over $4000 (parts and machine shop work) on my truck addressing similar and that was me doing all the labour

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.