Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so my front drive failed as I have read on here is a common issue. But what I couldn't find while looking is some answers I have about it all.

Ok.... So mine failed on the transfer case side and sheered the u joint and messed the end of the shaft and the 4 way thing in the middle pretty good. I know a knew shaft is a must. So the questions...

In this failure is it normal for the vehicle not to go into gear?
When I put it in neutral and roll it should there be a loud clunking noise? And is this a sign that the transfer case or tranny my have issues? Also when I put it back in park it makes a grinding noise.
I assume that if mine does have a cdl on the case and I can lock it it should drive until I get a new front shaft and if there are any Tcase or tranny issues well surface?

Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes it is normal, yes you could remove the shaft if it did not damage the tranny, engage the CDL and drive till you buy a new shaft.
Check out new shafts at British Parts of Utah or Great basins Rovers in Salt Lake City for the 2 better shafts on the market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike... im fixing to see if i can figure this out. Another question....if i have one on my '01 how do I engage it?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you actually crawled under the truck to check.
Look for the round plate, held down by 3 bolts with a shift nipple in the middle of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I just got out from under it... I do have the the nipple so that's cool. My 10 mm wrench seems to have dissapeared so while I'm waiting on my friend to bring me one I have been take the rest of the old drive shaft components off. I'll let you know in a bit if she moves after I engaged it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help Mike. From all the stuff on here I got it figured out and have her rolling until I can get a new drive shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts