Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start my car and only cranked and did not started, checked for spark on the spark plugs and did not have any?, then I used some starting spray and the car started, after a few minutes of running it sopped working and did not want to start back up, again I used the spray and started again, was able to get home 10 miles with no problem any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Your crank sensor has failed, which can cut off either or the fuel and spark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's Mike, I will replace it, so it is possible to start the car when the crank sensor is failing the way that I did?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, the crank sensor is a show stopper. That said, they often start working again when they are cool.

Before you mess with the crank sensor, swap the fuel pump relay with the washer relay next to it. That relay is a less common problem than the crank sensor, but takes 30 secs to check.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Then replace the Crank Sensor. Might go to Lucky8 and look at there video on how to replace it. This is a common parts at most local part stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just realized I misread the question - I don't know if a disco with a bad crank sensor (also called the cps) will run on starting fluid. I think it wouldn't, because a bad crank sensor prevents the plugs from sparking.

In fact, you can test the cps by pulling a plug wire, stick a plug in it, and ground it out under the hood, Then turn the key and see if it sparks. No spark = bad cps.

Mike - can a cps failure interrupt fuel flow but still allow spark? I thought it only affected spark.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
When the crank sensor fails it can shut down wither or both, fuel and spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, good to know.

While I'm at it, on behalf of Rover drivers everywhere, thank you Mike for all the help. Countless Rovers are still on the road due to your advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the advice, It's been 2 days and the car has not failed again, actually when it failed the car had been not running for a few hours so the engine was cool, I'm going to replace the sensor and keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts