Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change the transfer case oil in my 2004 Discovery and everyone knows that you have to remove the cross member to drain it. I see that land rover forgot to move it when they switched over to the ZF-24. Anyway, one of the 8 (10 mm) heads on the bolts for the crossmember was stripped and I didn't really have time to fix it and replace it, so I came up with this. I had a set of key stock in my shop that I bought from Harbor Freight. I cut one of the 1/2 inch keyways down and used a crescent wrench to unscrew and retighten the drain plug. It worked like butter and when I have more time I will weld a handle on it and have my own specialized wrench! I hope it helps out a few, and saves some time! I'll try to add a picture on this.

:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was for draining the transfer case, not the transmission. I have about 100 miles since I changed the transmission filter and the fluid. :) It was nice and red and smelled like a rose! The transfer case was the last thing that I finished off from 'shopping' the truck by replacing all of the common problems and routine maintenance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You do not deed to remove any cross member for a fluid change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts