Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a noob to LR and would appreciate any help with a purchase I am contemplating. I am looking to purchase an 03 Disco HSE with 99k miles on it for 7K. The VIN is within range (SALTP16413A779389) and I have dispatched the LR dealership to find any service info specifically looking for engine and oil pump issues.

Originally I had planned on buying an 04 Disco however my search turned up fruitless. After much thought, the CDL isn't a deal breaker bc I didn't plan on going offroading. It will be my daily commuter while in law school at Ole Miss.

Asking price for the vehicle is 7k...good buy?
2003 Black Land Rover Discovery U SALTP16413A779389 in Tuscaloosa at Contemporary Mitsubishi

Thanks for the help!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
The dealership won't give you any service history other then warranty work without the prior owner's permission.
If you are serious on this one, find a good Rover shop and pay them to do a prepurchase inspection prior to buying so you will know what is coming up.
Price could be high depending on what state you live in.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mike. You're right...the dealership didn't give me any info on the Disco.

I am located in MS and the vehicle is in Tuscaloosa, AL. It is priced right below BB value however I am going to see if I can talk them down to about 5K.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
And, get a shop to check it out before you buy it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for replying to my post Mike. I know many people join a forum for advice and never return. While I didn't get the Disco II, I did purchase an LR3 and I look forward to drive the heck out of it. I also look forward to joining the LR community.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I am a noob to LR and would appreciate any help with a purchase I am contemplating. I am looking to purchase an 03 Disco HSE with 99k miles on it for 7K. The VIN is within range (SALTP16413A779389) and I have dispatched the LR dealership to find any service info specifically looking for engine and oil pump issues.

Originally I had planned on buying an 04 Disco however my search turned up fruitless. After much thought, the CDL isn't a deal breaker bc I didn't plan on going offroading. It will be my daily commuter while in law school at Ole Miss.

Asking price for the vehicle is 7k...good buy?
2003 Black Land Rover Discovery U SALTP16413A779389 in Tuscaloosa at Contemporary Mitsubishi

Thanks for the help!
We've owned a 2003 Disco SE since we drove it off the showroom floor. Love the vehicle, but the engine is the Achilles heel. We have been through two rebuilt engines. As mentioned, I love this vehicle and know with a more reliable and appropriately powered engine that it would be mo betta. I have been looking for a suitable engine swap and have contemplated the 4L Cummins diesel, but an Chevy/GM LS engine would probably be the most logical and practical choice. If you buy it and decide to use it daily, have an alternate plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts