Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone.

I have just recently acquired a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE. The car has 109k miles on it and was in a seemingly great condition for the price paid. The only observed problems were a coolant leak (caused engine to shut off during the test drive--was assumed to be fixed when the problem was no longer observed following a refill and test drive three days later) and an engine knocking. It has come to my attention that the vehicle VIN is in the range of those for which an oil pump failure has been attributed directly by Land Rover. Despite such acknowledgements it was assumed that the car was one of the select few not affected due to the fact that the car has exceeded the typical mileage in which the problem was prevalent.

All major parts of the car are assumed to be original.

The Problem (Overheating and Coolant Loss):

After the car was purchased, it was subjected to a 60-70 mile return trip home in which the car functioned flawlessly. For another day the car again functioned flawlessly as it was driven locally to multiple locations over a few hours. Later that day (the day following the purchase) the car was taken to a local eatery; upon leaving (around 45 minutes after arriving) the car experienced a severe engine overheating (no shutdown) and was pulled into a nearby parking lot where it was examined. ≈95% of the coolant appeared to have been sprayed out all of the engine compartment (with ≈5% remaining in the reservoir). After a cooling period, the coolant was refilled and the car again drove flawlessly on the return trip home. Upon arrival no coolant leaking was observed. The car was driven once more around the neighborhood and a similar problem occurred (pertaining the spraying of the coolant), but the engine was cut off before it could max out the gauge. The car has not been driven since (nearing two days now).

The Problem (Knocking):

The knocking can only be observed while the car is idling--the noise entirely dissipates when the car begins moving. The knocking is not piercingly loud, rather, it is just noticeable.

Can anyone offer any insight into the problem that I am experiencing and was the purchase tantamount to burning the money spent?

Thanks in advance!

Note: Although the coolant has not been observed leaking while the car is parked, a considerable amount of water(?) collects below the upper-middle of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Ryan,
Stop driving it till the issue is repaired.
How mechanical are you? If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll call you today.

·
Registered
356 Posts
where does it keep spraying out of??
maybe you should start with replacing all hoses that keep blowing off..
also at that mileage point you should check and make sure your head gaskets are not leaking.
look at the back of the motor on the passenger side above the starter for buildup. (this is the most common fail point)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ryan,
Stop driving it till the issue is repaired.
How mechanical are you? If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll call you today.
Mike, I do not have possession of the vehicle currently, nor will I have possession of the vehicle for the next month; it is with my father. I'm only seventeen and I have had absolutely no experience with cars, but I'm trying to do the best I can by scouting the help forums. Thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind when I regain possession of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where does it keep spraying out of??
maybe you should start with replacing all hoses that keep blowing off..
also at that mileage point you should check and make sure your head gaskets are not leaking.
look at the back of the motor on the passenger side above the starter for buildup. (this is the most common fail point)
Ryan, it is spraying out all around the coolant reservoir. I think that it is either the coolant cap (poorly sealed) or the overflow hose. I'll relay to my father to what he should check. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you allowed it to get so hot as to develop an engine knock, it is probably toasted.
You might have you dad call me so I can walk him thru what and how to test it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you allowed it to get so hot as to develop an engine knock, it is probably toasted.
You might have you dad call me so I can walk him thru what and how to test it.
Mike, as far as I know, the knock preceded the overheating. I'll talk to him and see what he is doing. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts