Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2003 discovery with a bad engine. Previous owner ha overheated it and decided to sell it instead of fixing it. I know that the engine needs to probably be replaced, just curious as to what you all think is wrong with it. It will start and run fine but there is white smoke and a tapping sound. I took a video so y'all can hear it. Let me know, thanks.

Land Rover Video

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heads are warped. Hopefully the block is ok. Will need new heads or maybe they can be resurfaced. Or you can buy a new (reman) engine from several places.

What I would do at this point though is investigate putting a Chevy 350 in it.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Head gasket and heads would be number one then I would look hard for a slipped liner given the tapping noise. I don't know if swapping a Chevy motor in would be cost worthy...I looked into it pretty heavy and an ls1 chevy swap seemed like it would be the best option. Bad thing all the computer business would have to be piggybacked...what transfer case transmission options? By the time the swap all adds up you could buy a rebuilt landrover engine with all the known issues addressed...top hat liners, head studs etc... the Chevy swap just don't add up. If your gonna swap swap in a diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I actually already have an isuzu 4bd1t diesel I could swap in but I would want it to be a seem less swap and be able to keep an automatic in it. Right now there just anybody hardly making any adapters to use so I was kinda going to hold off on that and maybe just fixing the 4.6. I don't want to put thousands into the engine though and have the same issues 50,000 miles later. How reliable are the engines that have top hat liners and head studs? Would it be better to save the money and invest in a diesel swap?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Well your gonna spend thousands for sure...if you just do a total rebuild or buy one. I think they're more reliable than people give it credit for. Any vehicle needs all coolant stuff changed out after 11yrs. And that coupled with an aluminum block is where most problems come from. My 04 disco has 165k mi on the original motor and head gaskets although I got a coolant leak out of the back of the head so its time. When I first bought it...it sure threw a fit, I did all the coolant stuff and other maintenance things. There at first I thought I might be making a mistake, but I am totally satisfied with the rover and would almost keep it just because i feel good about the transmission and traction control which would be screwed with a engine swap.

Best 4x4 by far. I will continue to keep it and no I wouldn't hesitate to fix your previous owners screw up and keep it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you can swing it, put in a new engine with sport cams and tophatted liners.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anybody sell just a top hatted block, no pistons or anything? Short blocks are stupid expensive and so maybe I could afford one if it was just bare.
You can purchase just the liners if the block checks out good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.