Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 DII with 107k miles. Had it for one month, no issues til last night. Drove and parked in a parking lot on a very slight decline. Came back and it would not start. Tried off and on for 15 minutes with no luck. Got on the phone to get some help while the wife kept trying. She noticed the cruise control button was pressed in. She released it, tried again a couple times and it cranked. Headed down the road one mile, came to a traffic light on a slight incline and it died. Would not restart. Finally had to get it towed back to the house. Don't know how cruise control would be related, seems coincidental. Started thinking fuel pump but after reading several threads, I am not jumping to any conclusions. Appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bad crank position sensor. How mechanical are you? The sensor is around &80 at the local parts store and there is a repair video on the Lucky8 website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crank sensor

Thanks for the response. I think I could handle that replacement. Should I verify by first checking for fire at the plugs?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
When the crank sensor fails, it can cause no spark and or no fuel and rarely throws a code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No spark and/or no fuel so I could have fire at the plug but it still be the sensor. Hate having to buy a part not knowing for sure the problem but you sound pretty sure about it. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Very slow and patently, yes they are hard to get to, just take your time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got to it after lowering exhaust pipes. Finished the replacement and it did crank fine. Drove up and down driveway several times without issue. Probably try to venture a little further today. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
In the future so you don't confuse people, when you are turn the key, the engine is turning over, that is cranking. When it starts, that is running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts