Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all

So I got an 03 Discovery few months ago and I been having lots of coolant issues, first the bleeder valve started to leak, replaced it myself in 3 minutes and only got about 40 miles out.
Now the water pump gasket seems to be leaking and the radiator has a hair line crack on the drivers tank, right above the return hose.

I consider myself pretty handy, I have a decent tool box with a few special tools in it. Again this is the first time I will ever work on this line of vehicles.

My questions are:
Is it real difficult to change the water pump?
Is it common to get this problems?
Did I missed something when I change the bleeder housing?
:confused

In advance thank you for all your help :drink1:
Respectfully

George M

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the truck?
If the water pump gasket is leaking and not the front cover, I would suggest you replace the water pump along with the gasket.
The radiator can not be repaired and must be replaced. A new 180 degree soft spring t/stat should also be installed to lower the engines operating temp.
As for the bleeder screw, did you use an exact replacement screw, if so, and it is still leaking your will need to replace the upper hose cause the plastic tee most likely has a crack on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Indeed, time for a new radiator, upper hose assembly, T-stat, water pump and coolant. There is no such thing as a "small, slight or little coolant issue" the problem varies, but the solution is the same. Replace these little things now or face a larger issue later...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck has 94K, after further review I found out that the leak is coming from behind the timing cover not from the water pump like I first thought
How many hours should I expect to pay for this kind of job?
Does it involved removing the crankshaft pulley and the radiator too?
Also where do I get a 180 degree t-stat?
I already replace the bleeder "T"
Thank you Mike

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
At your mileage, you may want to replace the timing chain set and oil pump gears if wear is shown.
You have to pull the oil pan to pull the front cover and the crank pulley does come off.
I think 6 hour plus is on the low side.British parts of Utah has the t/stst.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To remove the cover, you will also need to pull the crank pulley (not easy without a nice snap-on gun), remove the oil pan and replace the gasket for it. This would be a full days job, start to finish depending on your skills, tools and it helps to have it on a lift. Add a new main seal to your list of parts as you are already there, you might as well do it as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple of questions
Do I need to remove the oil pan completely or just the 2 bolts that go onto timing cover?
How can I tell if the oil pump is worn out?
I was always under the impression that timing chain never wear out.
By the way are these vehicles delicate to hot weathers? I'm in Florida and we get nasty summers, 95 degrees with 70% humidity at least 4 months out of the year.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Look closely at the cracks in the outer ring.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts