Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario: This morning car started fine(was raining), made it to work, slaved at the desk, got off work, car started fine, got home, took dog out, got gym clothes on, 20 minutes later I go out to the car and it wouldn't start!

All electrical things work fine, windows stereo. etc etc. But when I go to crank it I get one click and no crank...

Checked: Terminals, took battery to AZ and it checked out fine, tapped starter, wiggled things and it still wont start.

Does this sound like a starter?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check your starter relay and solenoid. If you have a volt meter, make sure you are getting the same voltage as the battery at both terminals on the solenoid, and from the starter side to the battery

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~105k

Check your starter relay and solenoid. If you have a volt meter, make sure you are getting the same voltage as the battery at both terminals on the solenoid, and from the starter side to the battery

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers
The starter relay is in the fuse box like the rest of the relays? The solenoid is right next to the starter correct?
Ill test them with my meter.

No issues this morning starting. Are difficult warm starts indicative of anything?(Only acted up that one day).

That day it acted up it was making the click in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tiWcBbtHk) but I didnt hear the starter moving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You might have a point in your starter. It all depends on the position that the starter stops. If it lands on the bad spot, it won't turn.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so yesterday the car wouldnt start again and I was stuck at work...No one wants to be at work longer than they have to so I grabbed a screw driver, went under the car and started hitting the starter and stupidly stuck the end into where the battery wires come in. Made it spark but didnt shock myself. The vehicle started after that.

This is likely a faulty starter im assuming? If so how is the replacement on these vehicles? Most are cars are easy but I dont like where this is located. Any writeups for starter replacements or good places to purchase a starter?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Read on one of the newer posts about starters. There is a guy with similar problems. See if you can do the same thing I told him

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced the starter and all seems well. It definitely cranks faster than before. Are there any ways to test the old one to see if it was the problem or not? I did find the new one was harder to spin the gears than the old one. Both locked when trying to turn backwards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Auto parts stores should be able to test it for free. You are doing it your self, you and use a battery. Connect the negative battery post to where the starter bolts to the motor. Connect positive post to starter lead stud. Then take a wire and go from the solenoid signal to the positive post and it should spin if good

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.