Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Avoid Terrafirma if possible, i had to change mines after less than 2 years, OME are much better IMO... the tyres are your choice

·
Registered
356 Posts
i second that. OME is worth the extra moneys!

i've seen the Terrafirma stuff sag. and yeah for some reason after a couple years it's tired and warn out. OME seems to just do it's job for ever

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looking to lift my 04 disco trail edition, going to be using it for occasional offroading mostly on my beach. Terrafirma or old man lift? Any suggestions on tires? I have the stock 18' hurricanes.

On your beach ... ? Why oh why do you need lift? Don't spend the money, time and effort just because a couple or three inches of lift is what the "cool kids" have. Just air down your tires to 15-20 lbs and relax.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll jump into the thread with my lift question. I'm not going to be doing any intense offroading. I'll be in dirt roads in the mountains with occasional ruts but nothing a stock truck or SUV couldn't handle. Other than that, lots of snow packed roads and maybe not snow packed. So I don't need a lift but I love the look of a 2-3" lift. So to save money and knowing I'll lose out on the benefits of a suspension lift, which I don't need anyways, do body lifts end up looking the same as a 2-3"? Will I still be able to get the same size tire to fill out the well?
I love this look minus the off-road rack and equip, cause I don't want to be completely fake Haha. But feel free to imagine some skis up there!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
how many miles you have? 140k+?

you are due for suspension anyways. just buy the OME kit you won't regret it

i don't think anyone here will recommend spacers.. they are just for show and they gain you no real off road abilities

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Do not do a body lift! Period
Nothing but trouble with no benefit

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do not do a body lift! Period
Nothing but trouble with no benefit
From what I've read, the body** lift seems to be the one that will maintain the original feel and function of the vehicle and shouldn't create any problems as long as the lift isn't so big as to require reworking of the steering column. I could be wrong because I know nothing about lifts. Can you share more as to why I should avoid the body lift? Other than i won't be able to climb of boulders. i don't plan on doing any off roading where a real lift is needed

**edit: originally wrote suspension but meant body

·
Registered
356 Posts
at 110k you need new suspension anyway

adding spacers will only make your tired suspension even more tired as you have raised the center of gravity causing more body roll.

the biggest difference would be articulation.

if you want to add more clearance and gain articulation then you do suspension upgrade. if you are just looking to make it look taller but will never take it off road then throw spacers in, but i think it would be a waste of money being that you are already at the mileage that you should be replacing the old suspension anyways.

when i took my stock suspension off i had a broken coil on the front. didn't even know till i removed it.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I would have to mostly agree with "oneryan"
Springs are likely somewhat bagged out at the age/ mileage of your truck as well as the shocks ( the bushings as well as the shock absorber itself)
If you are going to do it .... do it right
I put terrafirma plus 2 shocks and a steering stabilizer on my truck about 2 years ago and have been happy with them, no problems.
I also installed billet aluminum spacers from " supreme suspensions " and put them under stock new springs which were less than a year old when I got the truck. Truck only sees mild offroad use.

Body lifts are in my opinion only an advantage on a purpose built and extreme truck and in addition to suspension lift and modifications

You will likely run into numerous complications with lines such as fuel filler and fuel lines,
Bumpers will not line up etc.
After all is said and done with the body lift, you will have gained nothing and messed around with a bunch of stuff

·
Registered
28 Posts
so, I'm basically a maintenance type car guy. I've fixed up and replaced some parts with the help of youtube and it takes me 4-5 times the amount of time a normal person could do it in. Is a suspension lift something I should have a shop do?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
It is a bit involved for the average Joe working on the ground.
A couple resources to check out

Check out lucky8 offroad. Their website has some good instructional videos , you can also likely access these throug utube.
One I found at a glance was

I think this is a disco1 but should lead you in the right direction

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.