Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking around for a good 4x4 and after owning a jeep i wanted to step in a different direction. Found a good deal on a fair 04 disco2 SE and pulled the trigger. Im going to be using it for some trail riding, camping etc.... and putting my skiff in and pulling it out of backcountry ramps. Just looking for a good point in the right direction as far as where is a good place to start with this beast. Appreciate all the help!

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
HI and welcome to the community.
Congratulation on graduating from a "heep".
Read the d2 maintenance for hi milers sticky lots of solid advice , front shaft for sure probably the weakest link mechanically.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Been looking around for a good 4x4 and after owning a jeep i wanted to step in a different direction. Found a good deal on a fair 04 disco2 SE and pulled the trigger. Im going to be using it for some trail riding, camping etc.... and putting my skiff in and pulling it out of backcountry ramps. Just looking for a good point in the right direction as far as where is a good place to start with this beast. Appreciate all the help!
Hope you got a lot for the Jeep. A "fair" D2 usually equals a "expensive" D2. Neglect always costs more than upkeep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is no daily driver for me and the dream of finding that 12yr old garage kept by an old lady who hasn't driven it since her husband died and he croaked a week after the purchase just isn't reality. That being said I found a very good motor and drivetrain in general. I bought this vehicle to be a project. Buying this type of vehicle this old and not expecting to drop few bills in its restoration is silly. What I don't get about the disco community is the true love hate thing going on. People buying them after reading or hearing what a pain they are then acting in complete disbelief when repairs are needed. Anyways I have been riding this thing around waiting for it to blow up on me after reading how big a piece of junk they were but all is well so far. I love it so far although the front seats were definetly not designed with taller people in mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really enjoy driving my 04. I bought mine with the understanding that work would probably an on-going part of the project. After a 100,000 miles it has required very little major work other than crap I break off-road. I recently bought a second discovery for a daily driver. Picked up an 03 for $3300 just needs new cats. Enjoy your new vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well this is no daily driver for me and the dream of finding that 12yr old garage kept by an old lady who hasn't driven it since her husband died and he croaked a week after the purchase just isn't reality. That being said I found a very good motor and drivetrain in general. I bought this vehicle to be a project. Buying this type of vehicle this old and not expecting to drop few bills in its restoration is silly. What I don't get about the disco community is the true love hate thing going on. People buying them after reading or hearing what a pain they are then acting in complete disbelief when repairs are needed. Anyways I have been riding this thing around waiting for it to blow up on me after reading how big a piece of junk they were but all is well so far. I love it so far although the front seats were definetly not designed with taller people in mind.
The cluster gauges do not read accurately on the 03-04, so get the "Torq" app, or whatever it is people are using and get a good baseline on the real-time readings on your coolant temp and oil pressure. These year models are bad about running hot as the coolant system components age. The front driveshaft likes to take out the transmission housing when a Ujoint breaks. The oil pump gear can crack into several pieces and you know what happens if you are running the engine and don't know that you have lost oil pressure. These engines have a bad design in which the cylinder sleeve comes loose as a result of consistently running at temps higher than 210-215 deg. It results in a "tickticktick" sound of that sleeve moving up and down when the engine gets to its operating temp. So find out what your operating temps are and if it's over 200, start out by checking the fan clutch, overflow cap and difference in radiator temps between the top and the bottom. If all is good, replace thermostat with the Land Rover-made gray 180 model. Water pump bearings andFan clutch is prob weak so Most order a 2nd-hand fan from a 2002 model Disco and buy a heavy duty 2990 model fan clutch as you will find the 03-04 has a one-piece factory unit that retails for minimum $300. Water pumps are cheap and good quality for $80. Mine blew a week after I bought the truck. Speaking of "blew'l replace the upper and lower coolant hose assemblies. They both have plastic tees that WILL break at the worst time. Don't get the engine hot when it does! You will warp the heads, slip a sleeve and blow the head gasket. What a headache. The factory front driveshaft utilizes 3 Ujoints and only 1 has a grease fitting. If you go to pump in grease and it doesn't come out of all 4 caps, it's no longer good. The 2 at the double cardan should be replaced with the type that have zerk fittings so you can grease them on a regular basis. Buy a new front DS from lucky8 for a little over $200 and save yourself the work. Order a new Ujoint and rubber roto-disk for the back driveshaft. It's the 1300 series Ujoint, all the way around; can be purchased anywhere. If everything looks old and factory on your Disco, I would first pull the front DS out and check Ujoints; still tight? Any play? If OK, get water pump, fan/clutch, thermostat and front-cover gasket. Pull water pump and front cover to check timing gears and oil pump gears. Replace if necessary or preventative maintenance. Put it all back with new parts and forget about it for 100K miles. Flush coolant system and refill with green-style, not red Dexcool. New radiator if needed. Temps at 200, move on to rebuild/replace front DS, rebuild rear DS. Drain trans fluid-new filter and DexMerc or Dex4 fluid. Drain both diffs and Tcase. Refill with fresh gear lube. Then you can put in new spark plugs and wires. You will replace the valve cover gaskets at this point (if at all leaky) because you will have the upper plenum removed to reach coil packs at the firewall. VC bolts are located under upper intake plenum. Check brakes, tie rod ends, and upper/lower ball joints on front spindle. When replacing brake pads, flush and refill brake fluid with DOT4. IF you have any problems with coolant temps rule out internal head gasket leak. Internal or external are both VERY common. Don't trust the gauge. This is a long response but it's worth a million dollars to a newbie. I wish I had someone tell me this when I bought mine. Got it in April and I have done all of this and then some, minus head gasket set. And this was as nice, clean vehicle you can get for a 2003!! Use only Supreme gas. Change the air filter. Use the big Napa Gold oil filter for the Ford models. Don't have the number on hand. You want Rotella 15-40 engine oil used in diesels. That's what you use. If you have ABS or Service Engine Soon lights, pull the fault codes with OBD and post here or look them up. Fix problems as they arise. This truck will leave you stranded in a heartbeat. Update everything. Do like one thing per week or month until it's all new or you will break down every time you drive it. You will love it every minute that you aren't stranded on the roadside waiting for a tow. Coming from a former Jeeper! Have fun and update EVERYTHING. Alright i gotta run before my gf thinks that I'm cheating

·
Registered
233 Posts
The cluster gauges do not read accurately on the 03-04, so get the "Torq" app, or whatever it is people are using and get a good baseline on the real-time readings on your coolant temp and oil pressure. These year models are bad about running hot as the coolant system components age. The front driveshaft likes to take out the transmission housing when a Ujoint breaks. The oil pump gear can crack into several pieces and you know what happens if you are running the engine and don't know that you have lost oil pressure. These engines have a bad design in which the cylinder sleeve comes loose as a result of consistently running at temps higher than 210-215 deg. It results in a "tickticktick" sound of that sleeve moving up and down when the engine gets to its operating temp. :crying So find out what your operating temps are and if it's over 200, start out by checking the fan clutch, overflow cap and difference in radiator temps between the top and the bottom. If all is good, replace thermostat with the Land Rover-made gray 180 model. Water pump bearings andFan clutch is prob weak so Most order a 2nd-hand fan from a 2002 model Disco and buy a heavy duty 2990 model fan clutch as you will find the 03-04 has a one-piece factory unit that retails for minimum $300. Water pumps are cheap and good quality for $80. Mine blew a week after I bought the truck. Speaking of "blew'l replace the upper and lower coolant hose assemblies. They both have plastic tees that WILL break at the worst time. Don't get the engine hot when it does! You will warp the heads, slip a sleeve and blow the head gasket. If the temp gauge gets to the RED, the engine had already overheated once it started moving up! What a headache. The factory front driveshaft utilizes 3 Ujoints and only 1 has a grease fitting. If you go to pump in grease and it doesn't come out of all 4 caps, it's no longer good. The 2 at the double cardan should be replaced with the type that have zerk fittings so you can grease them on a regular basis. Buy a new front DS from lucky8 for a little over $200 and save yourself the work. Order a new Ujoint and rubber roto-disk for the back driveshaft. It's the 1300 series Ujoint, all the way around; can be purchased anywhere. If everything looks old and factory on your Disco, I would first pull the front DS out and check Ujoints; still tight? Any play? If OK, get water pump, fan/clutch, thermostat and front-cover gasket. Pull water pump and front cover to check timing gears and oil pump gears. Replace if necessary or preventative maintenance. Put it all back with new parts and forget about it for 100K miles. Flush coolant system and refill with green-style, not red Dexcool. New radiator if needed. Temps at 200, move on to rebuild/replace front DS, rebuild rear DS. Drain trans fluid-new filter and DexMerc or Dex4 fluid. Drain both diffs and Tcase. Refill with fresh gear lube. Then you can put in new spark plugs and wires. You will replace the valve cover gaskets at this point (if at all leaky) because you will have the upper plenum removed to reach coil packs at the firewall. VC bolts are located under upper intake plenum. Check brakes, tie rod ends, and upper/lower ball joints on front spindle. When replacing brake pads, flush and refill brake fluid with DOT4. IF you have any problems with coolant temps rule out internal head gasket leak. Internal or external are both VERY common. Don't trust the gauge. This is a long response but it's worth a million dollars to a newbie. I wish I had someone tell me this when I bought mine. Got it in April and I have done all of this and then some, minus head gasket set. And this was as nice, clean vehicle you can get for a 2003 driven by a soccer-mom and the bare-minimum done in regards to maintenance and up-keep :frown Use only Supreme gas. Change the air filter. Use the big Napa Gold oil filter for the Ford models. Don't have the number on hand. You want Rotella 15-40 engine oil used in diesels. That's what you use. If you have ABS or Service Engine Soon lights, pull the fault codes with OBD and post here or look them up. Fix problems as they arise. This truck will leave you stranded in a heartbeat. Update everything. Do like one thing per week or month until it's all new or you will break down every time you drive it. You will love it every minute that you aren't stranded on the roadside waiting for a tow. Coming from a former Jeeper! Have fun and update EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cluster gauges do not read accurately on the 03-04, so get the "Torq" app, or whatever it is people are using and get a good baseline on the real-time readings on your coolant temp and oil pressure. These year models are bad about running hot as the coolant system components age. The front driveshaft likes to take out the transmission housing when a Ujoint breaks. The oil pump gear can crack into several pieces and you know what happens if you are running the engine and don't know that you have lost oil pressure. These engines have a bad design in which the cylinder sleeve comes loose as a result of consistently running at temps higher than 210-215 deg. It results in a "tickticktick" sound of that sleeve moving up and down when the engine gets to its operating temp. So find out what your operating temps are and if it's over 200, start out by checking the fan clutch, overflow cap and difference in radiator temps between the top and the bottom. If all is good, replace thermostat with the Land Rover-made gray 180 model. Water pump bearings andFan clutch is prob weak so Most order a 2nd-hand fan from a 2002 model Disco and buy a heavy duty 2990 model fan clutch as you will find the 03-04 has a one-piece factory unit that retails for minimum $300. Water pumps are cheap and good quality for $80. Mine blew a week after I bought the truck. Speaking of "blew'l replace the upper and lower coolant hose assemblies. They both have plastic tees that WILL break at the worst time. Don't get the engine hot when it does! You will warp the heads, slip a sleeve and blow the head gasket. What a headache. The factory front driveshaft utilizes 3 Ujoints and only 1 has a grease fitting. If you go to pump in grease and it doesn't come out of all 4 caps, it's no longer good. The 2 at the double cardan should be replaced with the type that have zerk fittings so you can grease them on a regular basis. Buy a new front DS from lucky8 for a little over $200 and save yourself the work. Order a new Ujoint and rubber roto-disk for the back driveshaft. It's the 1300 series Ujoint, all the way around; can be purchased anywhere. If everything looks old and factory on your Disco, I would first pull the front DS out and check Ujoints; still tight? Any play? If OK, get water pump, fan/clutch, thermostat and front-cover gasket. Pull water pump and front cover to check timing gears and oil pump gears. Replace if necessary or preventative maintenance. Put it all back with new parts and forget about it for 100K miles. Flush coolant system and refill with green-style, not red Dexcool. New radiator if needed. Temps at 200, move on to rebuild/replace front DS, rebuild rear DS. Drain trans fluid-new filter and DexMerc or Dex4 fluid. Drain both diffs and Tcase. Refill with fresh gear lube. Then you can put in new spark plugs and wires. You will replace the valve cover gaskets at this point (if at all leaky) because you will have the upper plenum removed to reach coil packs at the firewall. VC bolts are located under upper intake plenum. Check brakes, tie rod ends, and upper/lower ball joints on front spindle. When replacing brake pads, flush and refill brake fluid with DOT4. IF you have any problems with coolant temps rule out internal head gasket leak. Internal or external are both VERY common. Don't trust the gauge. This is a long response but it's worth a million dollars to a newbie. I wish I had someone tell me this when I bought mine. Got it in April and I have done all of this and then some, minus head gasket set. And this was as nice, clean vehicle you can get for a 2003!! Use only Supreme gas. Change the air filter. Use the big Napa Gold oil filter for the Ford models. Don't have the number on hand. You want Rotella 15-40 engine oil used in diesels. That's what you use. If you have ABS or Service Engine Soon lights, pull the fault codes with OBD and post here or look them up. Fix problems as they arise. This truck will leave you stranded in a heartbeat. Update everything. Do like one thing per week or month until it's all new or you will break down every time you drive it. You will love it every minute that you aren't stranded on the roadside waiting for a tow. Coming from a former Jeeper! Have fun and update EVERYTHING. Alright i gotta run before my gf thinks that I'm cheating
Exactly the response I was looking for thank you so very much. Bought it with a brand new front drive shaft and transmission put on it. I guess it was bought at auction and listed as is without specification to why it wasn't running so there loss my gain. Already bought scangauge to figure out real time whats going on with it after reading the gauges were crap. Next up is just starting on the 100,000 maintenance. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.