Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '04 Discovery. I would like to install a set of 16"x8" or 16"x9" wheels with a "negative" offset to bring my wheels & tires out about 4" - 6" wider than stock width. I don't plan on lifting it due to my garage height. I would like to install the highest & widest All Terrain/ Offroad style tire without rubbing my tires when turning sharply.
My vehicle came stock with 18" wheels. However, I figured if I replaced my 18" with 16", I could make room for much "beefier" tires with aggressive "shoulders".
Does anyone know the perfect combination for my setup?

Thanks for your time.
Shayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I own a '04 Discovery. I would like to install a set of 16"x8" or 16"x9" wheels with a "negative" offset to bring my wheels & tires out about 4" - 6" wider than stock width. I don't plan on lifting it due to my garage height. I would like to install the highest & widest All Terrain/ Offroad style tire without rubbing my tires when turning sharply.
My vehicle came stock with 18" wheels. However, I figured if I replaced my 18" with 16", I could make room for much "beefier" tires with aggressive "shoulders".
Does anyone know the perfect combination for my setup?

Thanks for your time.
Shayne
I'm having a heck of a time finding black aftermarket wheels with a negative offset to fit my bolt pattern 5x120mm / (5x4.72").
Do I have to use wheel adapters since I can't find any wheels to fit my bolt pattern with a negative offset?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wanted negative offset wheels as well. I was told you cannot use negative offset on these vehicles or they will ruin the hubs, bearings and axles by putting too much pressure on them. I've seen lots of modded out Rovers online with negative offsets that perform awesome off road. The you tube channel Offroad Turkey has them on all their Rovers and they look awesome.

I was also told I would need to chop off my front end, raise the truck significantly, new suspension, brake lines, all these things. And the hubs, bearings axle would fail faster. That these trucks are not meant to use negative offset.

So I went with normal rims. Fuel Rims had black negative offset rims that that fit my bolt pattern for the 16's and were really awesome. I ended up going from 18 to 16, increasing the tire size to 33's (I think) Maxxis Razors. I had a hard time finding 16m inch rims. Eventually got the 16 inch rims from a little scrap yard in FL for $100 I think (the guy said the Rover had been on the lot forever and was picked clean except for the rims and he wanted it out). I could not find new 16's online which is what I wanted, new.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time finding black aftermarket wheels with a negative offset to fit my bolt pattern 5x120mm / (5x4.72").
Do I have to use wheel adapters since I can't find any wheels to fit my bolt pattern with a negative offset?
As soon as you start widening the wheel track you are going to have to gut your guards and add flares or put in very stiff springs so that your wheels won't go up and down. I am not sure why you want to do this. The only reason you would normally do it is if you are fitting large tyres and you want to maintain a reasonable turning circle.

Here are a few wheels to choose from https://www.lrparts.net/vehicle/discovery-2/wheels-and-tyres/off-road-and-steel-wheels.html

·
very disco
640 Posts
Increasing your track by 4-6” is going to seriously rub on full turn. Plus you might get mixed up with all the cholos.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Increasing your track by 4-6” is going to seriously rub on full turn. Plus you might get mixed up with all the cholos. View attachment 91466
It looks awesome on a the right Truck or SUV. But what a joke on a car. Reminds of the some cars in Puerto Rico and Florida with younger drivers. They spray paint the rims gold, lower it with a straight pipe and a $10 amplifying tip. In their head it's a Bugatti V12 cutting you off in traffic.

These do look Awesome on our Rovers though.

I like the way this looks but everyone says the wheel hubs, bearings, axles are gonna go out because of the offset. But these guys videos suggest otherwise. I can't get a straight answer on any of the forums.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It looks awesome on a the right Truck or SUV. But what a joke on a car. Reminds of the some cars in Puerto Rico and Florida with younger drivers. They spray paint the rims gold, lower it with a straight pipe and a $10 amplifying tip. In their head it's a Bugatti V12 cutting you off in traffic.

These do look Awesome on our Rovers though.

I like the way this looks but everyone says the wheel hubs, bearings, axles are gonna go out because of the offset. But these guys videos suggest otherwise. I can't get a straight answer on any of the forums.
It won’t drastically effect the bearings on solid axles like it would with IFS due to the bearings horizontal spread.

It will likely increase the already frequent clean/inspect/re-grease mileage on the bearings and hub assemblies. I would expect more wear from the weight of the rotating assembly increasing by that much as well, but nothing frequent inspections can’t help with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very disco
640 Posts
Correctly installed offset or spacers... I do not believe they will adversely affect the lifetime of the components. If your adapters and lugs are sufficiently tight, you’re not resting on the lug nuts, you’re supported by the friction surface between wheel and hub

·
Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
Just to clarify what offset is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts