Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Land Rover discovery I have bled the coolant system multiple times however there is still an air pocket somewhere? It will overheat When I am at idle, I have to turn the heat on in order for it to stop overheating could it be a fuse for a fan that’s not turning on when it’s getting hot? I also replaced the radiator about two years ago could it be a clogged radiator? Please point me in the right directions to diagnose this problem I also have a little bit of sloshing coming from my dashboard. last week I also replaced the heater plate on my throttlebody that was leaking i’m sorry if I posted this to the wrong thread I am new to this forum thank you! There is also no coolant leak that is visible (edit) The truck was sitting for five months before it was being driven 30 miles to work back-and-forth every day without issues when I just started driving it two weeks ago these problems arose

·
Premium Member
2001 Discovery Series II SE7, w/SAI and without SAI
393 Posts
Have you verified you don't have any exhaust gas in your coolant?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have sloshing/waterfall you have air in system the heater possibly a lot. You need to get that sorted 1st. Next if you are depending on the dash gauge to know you are overheating stop driving the Disco you going to do damage. You can warp heads or cause a head gasket failure if you do not have one already.

You need to have the coolant checked for exhaust gases, you can do a test of the water pump by removing the bleed screw and turning the engine over, Put something over it coolant will spray everywhere if the pump works.

You should also see turbulence in the the tank at the left rear

Check your fan clutch, lots so youtube's on that if is shot you will overheat at idle

If all these pass and you still overheat you are looking at head gaskets or cracked block

·
Registered
634 Posts
Haven't replaced water pump? Prob water pump
Haven't replaced T-Stat? Prob T-Stat (shouldn't because this type of over heat but since you're in the ballpark might as well)
Haven't replaced Fan Clutch? Prob Fan Clutch

Radiator - you switched that so maybe not that
Bled system - you said you did but maybe do it again at an angle

9/10 prob is because the current owner cannot verify what's new or what was replaced or not...until then, you gotta go through the gammet of potential bad players.

If you bled, I would try at an angle again.

My BMW 325 would overheat doing nothing....turns out, the water pump was free spinning. Oh and the T-Stat? Completely is pieces and must have been the original and never replaced.

Hope it's an easy fix, good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't replaced water pump? Prob water pump
Haven't replaced T-Stat? Prob T-Stat (shouldn't because this type of over heat but since you're in the ballpark might as well)
Haven't replaced Fan Clutch? Prob Fan Clutch

Radiator - you switched that so maybe not that
Bled system - you said you did but maybe do it again at an angle

9/10 prob is because the current owner cannot verify what's new or what was replaced or not...until then, you gotta go through the gammet of potential bad players.

If you bled, I would try at an angle again.

My BMW 325 would overheat doing nothing....turns out, the water pump was free spinning. Oh and the T-Stat? Completely is pieces and must have been the original and never replaced.

Hope it's an easy fix, good luck!
I’ve owned it for five years I’ve done the radiator water pump thermostat the whole hoseing differential and head gaskets Thanks for the reply though

·
Registered
634 Posts
Absolutely! No worries, next up is the fan clutch like tyl604 said and hope that's it.

Frustrating I'm sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely! No worries, next up is the fan clutch like tyl604 said and hope that's it.

Frustrating I'm sure
Yup chapter check the fan clutch and I could stop it with a piece of newspaper sounds like that’s the issue thank you guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2004 Land Rover discovery I have bled the coolant system multiple times however there is still an air pocket somewhere? It will overheat When I am at idle, I have to turn the heat on in order for it to stop overheating could it be a fuse for a fan that’s not turning on when it’s getting hot? I also replaced the radiator about two years ago could it be a clogged radiator? Please point me in the right directions to diagnose this problem I also have a little bit of sloshing coming from my dashboard. last week I also replaced the heater plate on my throttlebody that was leaking i’m sorry if I posted this to the wrong thread I am new to this forum thank you! There is also no coolant leak that is visible (edit) The truck was sitting for five months before it was being driven 30 miles to work back-and-forth every day without issues when I just started driving it two weeks ago these problems arose
If it is the T-stat you would hear a chugging noise. I believe you radiator fans are not functioning. Not a fuse but the actual motors

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
104 Posts
Fan clutch will be an easy swap, maybe a 30min job, so good luck with the change! Let us know if you’re still overheating after the swap.

·
Drives like an old man
422 Posts
On a 2004, the clutch is integral to the fan. Very, very easy to do, but you have to buy the entire fan, which is around $200. Unless someone knows otherwise! Do tell!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
194 Posts
You are correct. Found that out the hard way this morning on my 03 after getting a new fan clutch, since my truck started to get hot when idling. I’m going to try to see if I can make it work, since the fan blades are still good and I got a clutch for under $50. Looks to be press fitted maybe? I’ll give it a shot and report back.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
194 Posts
Nope - it’s cast together as one piece. I tried pressing it out and broke it apart. You’ll need the full unit (unless you can retrofit a 99-02 fan, which I’ll be trying in a few days because I’m curious).

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
104 Posts
Interesting... my fan and clutch comes apart with four bolts that hold the clutch to the fan. Bought the new clutch from Atlantic British. Are different years different fans? I find that hard to believe

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
194 Posts
Yup, unfortunately. 99-02 have a (far superior) 2 piece fan with a replaceable fan clutch held on with the four bolts, 03 and 04 have a 1 piece fan that’s molded together. The early fan looks different too - those have a ring around the outside that connects the blades, while the later fan doesn’t. The two trucks also have different shrouds and upper coolant hoses. I’ve ordered an early style fan for my truck, as the fan and clutch combined still cost me like half what a full new-style assembly would, so I’m going to see if it will fit to save me money now and in the future. If it doesn’t work, I’ll return it and bite the bullet on the new style.

·
Drives like an old man
422 Posts
There is a GM fan and an aftermarket HD clutch that fits and apparently moves more air than stock. There's a whole thread on it here somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts