Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2004 range rover
The transmission goes good in reverse
But slow start in forward
And has small leak close to radiator
Also ride height is inactive
Starts and motor runs well
My question is it worth it to get and repair
From what I have read it sounds like the valve body needs rebuilt...

2k price

·
very disco
663 Posts
Depends on if you have a a good transmission guy... average used price (in my neck of the woods) is 4-6k for an 03/04 in good repair.

that 2k plus parts and repair services could easily become 4-6k if you rebuild or replace the tranny. At least you’d know that stuff is done and done well.

the EAS is actually pretty easy to service if it’s a mechanical or pneumatic fault. The electrical ones can prove tough.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on if you have a a good transmission guy... average used price (in my neck of the woods) is 4-6k for an 03/04 in good repair.

that 2k plus parts and repair services could easily become 4-6k if you rebuild or replace the tranny. At least you’d know that stuff is done and done well.

the EAS is actually pretty easy to service if it’s a mechanical or pneumatic fault. The electrical ones can prove tough.
thank you for your level headed response...
That is what I’m looking for..
I do like fixing stuff .. but I have read these things can be temperamental
And become a deep pit
Replacing a transmission is no problem... when I got the 92
That was the first thing I had to do..
I know I have to really think this out..
It’s a “do I wanna”
Thanks
Mike

·
very disco
663 Posts
If the color scheme is good do it! 03/04 is my favorite RR and looks super badass when prepped for offroad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E1B611BF-2D96-4A43-A8B3-BC81FFEA0BC1.jpeg

it is black with white like interior
I am sure I could get it going..
I am kinda wanting to try the air ride on the road than off road ...
I am studying this ...
it does look nice
Just like all the ones I have seen at the junk yards ..lol... I didn’t know much about them then..., man I missed out on some good parts
Again
Thanks for your imput
I’m likeing the positive ....(y)

mike

·
very disco
663 Posts
just do it! i snagged an RRS for $4000, ran about $1500 through it, and now i've got a super clean, properly working 2006 RRS for $5500.

also i learned a lot in the process

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just do it! i snagged an RRS for $4000, ran about $1500 through it, and now i've got a super clean, properly working 2006 RRS for $5500.

also i learned a lot in the process
That is very cool...
When I first started looking at this rover
It was advertised as a 2006
It wasn’t till I met up with the owner that I found it to be a 2004.
He had described the problems in the posting
So I had been looking a 2006 information...
Bummed me a bit
But also looked at it as opportunity....
If I fix something
I tend to keep it.
Adds to the adventure

·
Registered
54 Posts
thank you for your level headed response...
That is what I’m looking for..
I do like fixing stuff .. but I have read these things can be temperamental
And become a deep pit
Replacing a transmission is no problem... when I got the 92
That was the first thing I had to do..
I know I have to really think this out..
It’s a “do I wanna”
Thanks
Mike
I would get a good diagnostic computer, like Gap2D. Or something else that is designed for RR. Then the electrical problems will be possible to diagnose. Also, while a transmission replacement is physically possible, the valve body is programmed to the original truck’s VIN. And I’m pretty sure that they cannot be reprogrammed for another one. So if the valve body is the problem, you will need to get it new and have it programmed to your truck. Most European cars are this way now. It’s a pain in the ass. I have rescued a few of the early L322’s from the scrap heap. They are very nice trucks, and I love them. But it requires that you can diagnose and repair it mostly yourself. Or it will destroy you financially.

·
very disco
663 Posts
I was able to replace the instrument cluster in my 06 L320, and the programming was possible with my nanocom EVO. I replaced it with a used unit also, not a new one. I do believe that the gap tool is capable of reprogramming the various computers as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts