Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a RR for the wife and narrowed it down to 2 trucks of comparable price and desire

An '04 with 92k miles, 1-owner FL car with recent coil spring conversion, all services done, exc. cond in and out

An '05 with 103k miles, 1-owner MD car with original air susp bags and upper/lower hose replaced, all services done, exc. cond in and out

What are your thoughts...just curious. I know about the technical differences with the electronics etc., just wanted to throw it out to the forum.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Personally if all things were identical, I'd go with the '05 because of the air suspension. How does someone buy a luxury SUV and bastardize it by removing what makes it special and replacing it with coil springs?

Colin

1,855 Posts
05 with Juguar 4.4

don't get the BMW engine

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'05 has the BMW, went to Jag in 2006

UPDATE: Bought the '05, all is well except right front market light has to be replaced. Posting that elsewhere as I need some help.

· Land Rover Mechanic
15 Posts
from that, I would say the 04, but you really need to get them both on a lift with a good flashlight.

-Rust
-Condition of wearable parts
-Anything interesting, missing or wrong bolts
-Blue coolant
-Good battery
-Test everything
-Type/age of filters

Personally, I check for oil in/around plugs, listen for compressor hissing (if airbag), look at tires, check dvd/nav ststem area for moisture, and check any aftermarket wiring.
I could go on, but just try and get a feel for how they were cared for and treated.

· Registered
96 Posts
As someone who also went for an '05, the main reason being that whilst it still has the BMW engine, it at least has the digital data bus, not the older analog version.

My main check point was if they'd done the service campaign to upgrade the drive shafts to the sturdier Jag-like ones. For some reason that was never a full blown recall from what I gathered.

· Registered
33 Posts
I would go with the 04, as it has been said it has the BMW engine, bulletproof, Service history is critical. Spoke to Service Mgr at RR, whom I really trust, and gave me nothing but good reports on the BMW engines. Sometimes a bad water pump here and there but otherwise troublefree.
I am very happy with mine so far.
Good luck in your decision

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.