Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have an 05 LR3 HSE and I am having a problem with the fog lights. I replaced the fuse, then had the dealer clean the contacts of the lights and they stopped working. Is there a fix besides changing the light, and fuses or am I out of luck. The bulbs are good.

· Registered
242 Posts
Remove the drivers side fog light housing, and check the wiring right where it comes past the bumper support for any signs of chafing. Fix that, insulate the wiring, and route it so that it doesn't rub anymore, replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

· Registered
662 Posts
perhaps do both sides

By about 2007, the Land Rover factory had figured out that the wiring to the fog lights was rubbing and secured the wire such that it would not rub on whatever and short to ground and blow the fuse. As might be expected, their primary reason for getting to the fix was they were having to repair the 2005 and some 2006 at their own expense as the vehicles were still under warranty.

As RoverGuy7 said, you can do the fix yourself just by removing the light from the bumper and then taping over the chafed conductor with black electrical tape, kind of by feel, as not quite enough of the wiring harness will suck out of the hole. I did both sides on my 2005 as I assumed the problem may be on both sides and the other side has just not cut thru yet.

If you were really keen, you could slide about a foot of that split flexible black plastic wiring loom over the cable after you have taped up the problem.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fog light fix

RoverGuy7,
T:buttrock:hanks for the info. the fix worked. the red/purple wire was chaffed bare to the wire and it shorted. I cleaned it wrapped it twice with electrical tape. changed the fuse and viola. lights work

Remove the drivers side fog light housing, and check the wiring right where it comes past the bumper support for any signs of chafing. Fix that, insulate the wiring, and route it so that it doesn't rub anymore, replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fog light fix

bbyer,
Did check both lights, driver side was chaffed to the wire, passenger side was just starting. Cleaned and rewrapped, repositioned wires, changed the fuse and it works great. thanks.:buttrock:

By about 2007, the Land Rover factory had figured out that the wiring to the fog lights was rubbing and secured the wire such that it would not rub on whatever and short to ground and blow the fuse. As might be expected, their primary reason for getting to the fix was they were having to repair the 2005 and some 2006 at their own expense as the vehicles were still under warranty.

As RoverGuy7 said, you can do the fix yourself just by removing the light from the bumper and then taping over the chafed conductor with black electrical tape, kind of by feel, as not quite enough of the wiring harness will suck out of the hole. I did both sides on my 2005 as I assumed the problem may be on both sides and the other side has just not cut thru yet.

If you were really keen, you could slide about a foot of that split flexible black plastic wiring loom over the cable after you have taped up the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.