Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 that is nearing 102k miles and now a front end grinding noise has appeared that changes pitch with wheel speed. It is the same when in drive and coasting in neutral, so I am guessing it to be in the front end drive line some where. It is really noticeable at around 20-30 mph. The sound goes away with a sharp left turn and still there with the same turn motion to the right.

I started by looking at the diff and changed oil. It looked pretty good. Some sludge on the drain plug, but no crazy amounts of metal.

So I am thinking it to be a wheel bearing and guessing the front left as the load is less on the wheel during a sharp corner?

Also any guidance to getting the hub assembly off easily? I have read this to be difficult.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Probably a hub, check both for play, any movement, on the 12 and 6 o'clock axis, needs replacing.

Pretty easy job, it's bolt on, jack up both front wheels, and leave the key in the ignition so the steering is unlocked.

If you get an aftermarket hub, make sure it comes with, or you buy separately, a new axle nut.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless the boot for the CV is torn, and lost all it's grease, and been driven like that for a while, I have not seen any CV failures on these.

Replaced some front differentials for noise, but usually it's a pinion/ring gear noise which will be more of a groan/whine, and should come or go based on throttle input, ie noise there on decel/neutral, not there under light acceleration or the other way around.

How do the tires look?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right, not the CV. Took it to an indy shop where the mechanic was good enough to do a ride along at no charge. Right away says its the wheel bearing. He confirmed the CV makes a popping noise when then fail, and then if it was the diff, the noise would change under load as pointed out.

Now to decide wether to tackle the job myself or let them do it. I can provide my own parts and they will just do the labor ~$300. I have looked around and it seems that SKF is the OEM for these parts? Anybody know?

·
Registered
101 Posts
That sounds a lot of labor for a wheel hub. Think mine was closer to an hour and the LR guide says 1.3 hours.

The OEM part is Timken I believe - I got mine from PartsGeek #24093-05200092 $175 but you may want to get a new captive nut from your LR parts guy as that didn’t come in the kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I decided to take on the job, and happy I did so. It was quite easy to do and saved some decent scratch. Changed out the hub and problem solved. Only took about 1.5 hr including clean up.

Couple of tips....The trick was to use an air hammer to knock back the shaft. Then back out the 4 bolts that hold on the hub about 1/8". Use a brass hammer and give a decent hit on the bolts until a small gap appears. Then spray down heavy with PB blaster in the gap and the threads exposed on the bolts. Let sit for a 5 min or so the use the air hammer from the back side and the hub pushes right out.

The OEM part is in fact a Timken hub. Cold not wait for an online shipment, so had to go to the dealer and able to negotiate a great deal cheaper than express shipments. Stamped right on the hub bearing was Timken.

Going to do the other side in a couple of when get more time and can order the part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.