Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Good deal?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After looking for a few years, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on my first Land Rover.

Found a 2006 V6 SE from a used car dealer that looks well maintained, and is within a reasonable distance of me. Any thoughts on what I should look out for, and pricing would be awesome. I like the idea of a V6, but from what I've read it doesn't really enjoy much in the way of an efficiency bump. This is a daily driver, and access vehicle for me. I climb, and ski, and camp. Should see lots of forest roads and highway, but not a lot of super gnarly crawling and hill climbing. I like to work on things and the plan here is to run it til end of life, so while the flexibility of something that is easier to resell is nice, it's probably not top priority.

Had 3 owners, 1 corporate, 2 private. 119,000mi

Factory serviced on schedule by first owner, second owner took it consistently to an indie shop up to the 67,500 manufacturer's service, then continued at the same shop to just shy of 90,000mi, but doesn't look like they did the 90,000mi service.

Latest owner continued to maintain it reasonably, with oil change and some basic maintenance, but not dealer / LR-specific shop, and no recommended service.

Asking just under 10,000.

My plan is to take it to dealer or indie shop for a pre-purchase inspection, then immediately to them for some catch-up on the 90-120k recommended service tasks that haven't been done.

I'm a couple hundred miles from the dealer, so planning to do a Facetime walk around and test drive, then head down in person if all looks good, and I can get them down on price a little. I'm not looking to be super aggressive, but 10k does also seem a little high. I've been aiming for 8k for something in this condition. Thinking of starting the discussion around 7. Thoughts?

Thanks! Looking forward to spending a bunch more time here once I get one.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
I’m always very wary of dealers. They commonly don’t understand the vehicles, and couldn’t give you an accurate account of the vehicle if they wanted to. Also, I think that price is super high.

a few months ago I paid $2300 for my 2006 SE.

As far as what the future holds, I’ve got over 200k on my LR3 and it runs like a top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!

This is kind of my feeling re: dealers as well. Very skeptical, but also most of the owner-sold vehicles I've seen over the past 6 months are rough.

Good reference on your recent purchase. That sounds like a great deal. I'm originally from the west coast. Plan is to pick one up in the northeast where I am now, and drive it back to British Columbia at the end of the summer.

Also looking at a 2010 LR4 SE w/ comfort package being sold by owner that seems reasonably responsible, dealer maintained. 175k on it. I prefer the LR3 in a number of respects, but this one is interesting as well. Essentially same asking price.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
Yes, I practically stole my LR3, but the market comps are in the 6k range not 10. I’m also in the market for an LR4, but they’re either affordable and thrashed or they’re a 2016 Landmark with 33,000miles and a 40k sticker still /-: I will say, the 5.0 V8 sounds like a monster when you open the throttle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. The ~$6k LR3s seem to sell insanely fast around here, unfortunately. I'm 4th in line for an '06 with 97k that was posted in the middle of the night last night. Not crossing my fingers.

Interesting that you're looking for an LR4, even with a recent LR3. Is there a specific reason, or just a "more is better" sort of thing? I actually prefer the look of the LR3s, and pretty hard budget limit at 10k, including any initial work and transfer expenses. That said, I'm guessing other people have a similar price hurdle as me, so if I can justify a slightly higher price range, might be able to get a better deal.

E.g. the 2010 w/ 175k mentioned above is asking 9,800, or a 2012 with 123k and brand new tires asking 11,000. I've bought a lot of used stuff, but not cars. My usual rule of thumb is that if something has been posted for more than a week, offering 20% off a fair ask isn't unreasonable, which would mean offering around 8, and 9k on those two vehicles. Seems like either of those would be good deals, not amazing, but something I could be happy about.

I don't have to buy one now, but am moving across the country in 6 weeks and schedule works in such a way that I could do the road trip. If this means I don't get the best deal around, I think I'm okay with that, as long as I don't get fleeced.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
I have three LR, and my wife has allowed it... the only way I could add a fourth is to placate her desire for a white LR4. After that, RRC or FFRR here I come.

as long as you’re happy with the deal and prepared for what’s to come, that’s all that matter.

Reactions: Oh'six Rover

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 LR3 with 155,000 miles on it. I've absolutely loved this vehicle from day one. The common issues are the air suspension, air compressor, sun roof leaks, plastic coolant system parts that wear out, and annoying computer error codes that sometimes are a bigger deal and sometimes not. Over all, the vehicle has been very reliable. That said when it does break, it's not cheap to fix. $10,000 grand is very high. I'm not sure I'd spend more than $5,000 for it. In addition, it's a SE not a HSE, so it's the lower end version. Should a V8 not V6, there were only a few V6s in 2005. The efficiency sucks because it's a heavy vehicle. Get the V8, you'll appreciated it. Also have HD package with the locking differential is great if you plan on off-roading.

Here's a 2009 in San Diego that's only asking $9,000. 2009 Land Rover LR3 HSE White Navigation Locking Diffs 3rd Row...
There's a lady on Southern California Land Rover Club Facebook page selling her 2008 for $5,000 or best that's in great shape.

It would be cheaper to buy out of state and ship it.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
Sure, but buying a used Rover sight unseen? It could be riddled with issues and cost more than what you paid to “tighten” up

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
After looking for a few years, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on my first Land Rover.

Found a 2006 V6 SE from a used car dealer that looks well maintained, and is within a reasonable distance of me. Any thoughts on what I should look out for, and pricing would be awesome. I like the idea of a V6, but from what I've read it doesn't really enjoy much in the way of an efficiency bump. This is a daily driver, and access vehicle for me. I climb, and ski, and camp. Should see lots of forest roads and highway, but not a lot of super gnarly crawling and hill climbing. I like to work on things and the plan here is to run it til end of life, so while the flexibility of something that is easier to resell is nice, it's probably not top priority.

Had 3 owners, 1 corporate, 2 private. 119,000mi

Factory serviced on schedule by first owner, second owner took it consistently to an indie shop up to the 67,500 manufacturer's service, then continued at the same shop to just shy of 90,000mi, but doesn't look like they did the 90,000mi service.

Latest owner continued to maintain it reasonably, with oil change and some basic maintenance, but not dealer / LR-specific shop, and no recommended service.

Asking just under 10,000.

My plan is to take it to dealer or indie shop for a pre-purchase inspection, then immediately to them for some catch-up on the 90-120k recommended service tasks that haven't been done.

I'm a couple hundred miles from the dealer, so planning to do a Facetime walk around and test drive, then head down in person if all looks good, and I can get them down on price a little. I'm not looking to be super aggressive, but 10k does also seem a little high. I've been aiming for 8k for something in this condition. Thinking of starting the discussion around 7. Thoughts?

Thanks! Looking forward to spending a bunch more time here once I get one.
I have this exact vehicle at about the same mileage. The best price I could get is $6,000. The V6 is not the most powerful but it is a good, reliable engine. Getting in at that price will start you on the road to LR living. I now have three LR's: the '06, LR4 '13 and an LR4 '16. Not much mechanical difference between them and many things can be fixed easily. Lot's of youtube help etc. about the vehicles. Get the dealer to drop the price and then go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, super helpful.

I did consider getting something from out of state, but unsure about buying one completely unseen. In normal times, I would probably have just spent a week with family / friends in a better market, then driven the thing home.

That said, is there a price below which it's kind of like "if it drives right now, just do it know that you've saved enough to cover some major repairs?"

I've seen some in the 2,000-3,000 range either with a clear problem, or some unresolved errors, and I'm wrestling with whether or not I should bother considering those. Certainly preference for single owner, dealer maintained, etc. but in the absence of those options... Suspension replace ~$2k, transmission ~$5k, etc? And at this price, do you still take it for a pre-purchase inspection, or just buy it, and take it straight to the shop for a solid service?

One that "drives great, but has a few lights on the dash (not check engine)" and 130k asking 2800 seems potentially interesting.

Would love an HSE with HD, but literally haven't seen a single one within 300mi, regardless of price. I don't really mind not having most of the HSE benefits, but have definitely settled on the V8.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Whatever you do, please do not buy one without a prepurchase inspection by someone who is an expert in Land Rovers. Not just anyone; it must be someone who knows these vehicles. For example there are numerous instances where sellers place black tape over the trouble lights in the instrument cluster to hide problems.

Be wary.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
I paid less than 4K for my RRS. I put about $3800 into it, but now I’ve got a solid performing and tastefully modified Rover for under 8k.

I’d rather buy cheap with plans to fix. You could easily pay 8k for an LR and still have to put thousands into it, despite whatever maintenance has been done or said. This may not be so viable if you’re not handy, afraid of wrecking yards, or willing to take on a project.

Reactions: Troyan2019

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reverend, are you still getting your cheap ones inspected before buying, or looking at them yourself only (I imagine you've got a pretty good idea of what you're looking at)?

anything that comes up is just selling so fast (even one priced at 12,000 sold in less than 24 hours).

that said, there is one down in Baltimore asking 3,900 with 200k on it. Apparently it drives, has been switched to coils, but the steering is tight, and the driver's seat adjustment doesn't work. With the location, and covid, I probably can't take it to a dealer / mechanic. I'm certainly happy to put some work into it, but like you said about buying one unseen, I don't really want to end up doubling the cost of it right out of the gate to tighten it up.

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
It’s a calculated risk, but if you pay real low there’s not much you can’t afford to fix yourself. Just steer clear of bad eng/trans and body damage. The other super common wriggles aren’t that expensive

I restored my RRS with no prerequisite knowledge, mainly forum scouring and elimination

·
Registered
58 Posts
You do need to find someone who knows Land Rovers to have a look at this one with you. The Ford Cologne V6 is known for having the timing chain cassettes (plastic) break, thus jamming and causing the camshaft timing gear to slip, thereby causing the pistons and valves to collide. If you can hear the timing chains rattle when you start it up after sitting overnight, you'll be hauling the engine out at some point. Other than that, mine has 265,000 Km (165,000 miles) on it with only minor issues as others here have mentioned. The main issues in my mind are how well was it maintained previously and can you do most work on this machine yourself? If you can and you are willing to get yourself a IIDTool BT or similar then you are off to the races. If not, perhaps you should look for something else, my experience is that when you say "Land Rover" at a parts counter you might as well say "helicopter."

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My favorite advice in regard to Land Rovers is "it will be a love/hate relationship for as long as you own it."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's looking like I may take back what I said about the V6. Unless anything else comes up in the next day, and as long as it checks out in-person, looks like it'll be a 2005 V6 SE. Found one being sold by a Land Rover dealership, single owner and 150k. It's actually from a Maserati dealership, but the same group owns a few LR dealers, and that's where it was inspected. For this reason, I'm not planning on getting another pre-purchase inspection... Seem reasonable?

The one sort of weird thing about it is that the Carfax is completely quiet after 2012 (107,000mi) when they did the 120k service. Then there's nothing, aside from registration renewal every 2 years. From 2018-2020 they only put 5,000mi on it. I'm guessing it became a summerhouse vehicle at some point in there, but the lack of at least a few oil changes is the one thing that has me a little skeptical? Until 2012, everything was done, all by the same LR dealer, so they definitely seem like they were taking good care of the thing, and cosmetically it looks very good.

This thread was helpful in convincing me that the V6 would still be solid for me, along with the comments above.

Not as cheap as I'd hoped and could probably get with more time, but at 7,000 I'm not breaking the bank, and should get a solid truck, with budget left for some new wheels / tires, roof rack, iid bt, and a spares kit :)

·
very disco
1,537 Posts
The V6 isn’t a bad engine... it won’t pass on the freeway like the v8 and the torque is lower for those slow and confident boulder climbs, but i doubt you’ll have buyer’s remorse or anything.

the leftover budget for kit will probably suffice to get it trail ready, v6 and all.

my RRS had almost 2yrs of inactivity on the carfax right before I acquired it, my assumption was it sat awaiting repairs, or awaiting liquidation. While it does leave a question mark, you can’t be certain that it wasn’t in fact a 500mile/year beach truck, or an estate vehicle, or some other form of planned non operation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaaand, I spoke too soon! Truck was okay, but some definite issues, so found a nearby indie shop that was down to take a look to make sure there wasn't anything else that I'd missed. Dealer said "no, my guys inspected it and said it's good, you either buy it or you don't," so I didn't.

Air suspension through a couple errors (rising slowly, and will rise when system cool), front skid plate was removed, and gas tank protector was rotted through. I was fine with those. Nice easy intro fixes for me, but the fact that he was so opposed to me taking it 20 minutes down the road to the indie shop sent me home.

Lesson learned to ask about the PPI everywhere, even a dealer with a flag, before heading in.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You may have dodged a bullet. PPI always is the way to go. Keep looking and good luck. (I would guess that the dealer had something to hide.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts