Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
several years ago i owned 2x series 2a and a series 3 landrovers. after a few years of normal road cars and other boring stuff, I have decided to take the plunge and buy another landrover.

I would like a 110 or similar. something I can use for travelling to work (shirt and tie job ) and can also be used for packing gear in to go fishing/shooting. and something fairly old ie around 1990-1996. a swb would be preferable.

the problem I am having is fuel consumption. I have been spoiled in the last few years with 35-50mpg cars.

what would you guys recommend? is it worth going for the diesel (ive heard that i could expect only 20-22mpg) or go for a petrol and pay the extra for an LPG conversion?

I do mostly steady motorway work (50-70mph max) when going fishing/shooting and normal urban speeds for daily use. I also go off road quite regularly when fishing/shooting, but not very rough stuff

I am getting desperate to buy something, but dont want to buy something that is going to cost me an arm and a leg to run

I do most of my own maintenence, and the buy would be a fairly long term affair (5 years+)

I hope I have given you enough info, and also that you can give me loads of advice, regardless how small in detail.

many thanks for reading my post

russ

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Hello

Sounds to me you want a 110 tdi 28-30mpg if you are gentle,good strong engine cheap to service,
Thats the one id go for in your shoes
Cheers ONz :wave:

·
Registered
68 Posts
110 300tdi

I run a 110 300tdi with a roof rack and normally a tralier (normal load i tonne) and I get 28-31. Only had 31 once but it's normally 29. I drive quite steadily and normally sit at 70 on the motorway, never over 75 because thats when it plumets. I have had a quote to lpg my tdi. yes it can be done but is unusual. Landrover HQ have had three of there cars done with no problems. The company I am talking to promise me 40% savings and warranty everthing for 18 months unlimited miles. I do 30,000 miles a year and the system would pay for itself in about 22,000. It's just the inital outlay. They quoted me £2200 inc VAT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice guys. another fly in the ointment here, there are a lot of 1990-1996 classic range rovers about with the 3.9 petrol converted to lpg. what are your thoughts on the suitability of these vehicles?
russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts