Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! :wave: First time poster on this board. I've been a resident lurker on the FreelanderOwners and 3LanderBlue Forum since buying a Freelander S 2002. Hubby had to do one better, recently buying a Disco II 2000. But he's not a forum-talking kinda guy.

I've paged through the discussions here and not seen anyone mention this problem: the 12v outlet (at the dash, at least) doesn't seem to have any stick-to-it-iveness. Any battery-charger type device doesn't stay in place well enough to establish electrical contact. We're about to head out on our first long road trip over the US holiday weekend, and would like to use this thing for ipod and cell phones.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2,687 Posts
Welcome to the board!

That's because LR decided to put a Cigar-lighter in there instead of a standard cigarette lighter.. Rumor has it, Radio Shack makes an adaptor.. I ended up just sticking a folded up piece of paper in there to make it fit..

· Registered
178 Posts
usually there's a place on the inside of the outlet, along the side, that you can pry out a little bit, to make better contact, so that it has a ground. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how i've fixed worn out cigarette lighters.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic, thanks for the response. I may need to do it that way as no-one at two Radio Shack stores, Canadian Tire or an auto supply place even believed me today when I said the truck had a cigar lighter!

Thank goodness I thought to bring the lighter-insert into the store with me, as one guy at Radio Shack, with a curl in his lip that said, "Women!", even unwrapped a multi-outlet plug and tried to make it fit in.

We're driving down to the States for the long weekend and a family wedding, so I guess we'll look down there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.