Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bought a set of Goodyear Mtr's with Kevlars, They are 31x10.5R15, I measured the OD and they are roughly 32's, just under 32's. I was going to buy some treadwrights @ 700$ shipped, but my brother offered to give me these for free, they are practically new tires, he bought them for his Isuzu that he swapped a diesel into and moved to 35's, he ran them for about 3000 miles. Lucky8 sells rims at 80$ a piece, so its 40$ (without shipping) less than a set of treadwrights.

I was wondering what goes into fitting a 15 inch rim on a discovery 2? A little trimming of the dust guards? My dad owns a fab shop so this could be done in like 20 minutes. Does the actual caliper get in the way? or is it unable to be done.

I hope it can, FREE TIRES!

Thanks again!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Most 15" wheels will not clear the calipers.
Before you jump into big tires, what are you going to do about your 2 weak diffs and new gears?

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I have heard of people shaving their calipers. I thought about it. I also thought I had some threads bookmarked. Happy hunting.

I was looking for more common sizes than 16 and 18. I thought about 17 for tire price and availability reasons, but the cheap classified section solved my problem...maybe.16s&17s that fit a land rover aren't real easy to find...20s are, it turns out. A set of steelie 16s can be had easily online through most of the normal lr parts places. but I'm not into the steelie thing. Seems like a downgrade...especially in my territory and weight reasons.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, the tires Im looking at are smaller in diameter than a 265/75r16 and a little larger than 245/75. I thought those tires were in the sweet spot of not having to regear. I do in the future plan to regear, but I want the tire size and gear ratio change to stock rpms on freeway and stock low end torque.

Also, I thought I just needed to trim dust guards. The tires are pretty much brand new.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Dane
Starting to wonder if you are for real or not. Last I read from you your engine was knocking and from what I read in big trouble?....... Now you are talking wheels and tires
What gives here .... Are you the real thing or what.
And yes I am still holding the O.E. Wheel you wanted from me a few months back��

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Dane, you really need to slow down instead of throwing all these ideas of your's.
As for the tires, you will loose an easy 1.5 MPG and a ton of low end torque
As mentioned, you will have a clearance problem with the rotors.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I saw on a previous thread about a month ago regarding a girl who want to toss 33's w 15 inch rims on a d2, everyone who replied just said dust guards need to be takin off. I have 31's on now as is. I know the loss if torque already an the mpg loss, I've come to terms with the inefficiency of driving a rover, and I'm not worried about that. I do plan getting 4.10 gears from Great Basin rovers eventually, along with heavy duty axles, that's going to be done in spring. The tires are .5 in diameter larger than 245/75's

This is the forum thread, not one person regarded caliper clearance, that's why I asked if its done.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forum...om-manufactured-15-inch-wheel-disco-ii-46180/

· Registered
29 Posts
Dane I'm going to agree with Mike with this one... (as we always should) :)

Could sell your brothers tires and split the money? That way you could buy the right tire and wheel.

Good luck!

Also did you do you leopard print headliner yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.