Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the noise from the bearings my old lucas alternator is starting to bug me.. I figure while its still pumping out good 13-14v I might as well get it ready to change out and have it for an emergency spare. I was reading about the Bosch alt swap on this page http://www.geocities.com/erdiaz.rm/Rover/bosch.html
and decided that the less Lucas in my car the better. I found a cheap 150 amp alternator from a 2001 VW eurovan for $75.00 with only 5k miles on it..
what a deal.. Its shipping out ground today so i have 10 days to round up all the other stuff i need for the swap. There is a new larger belt, and a W D connector i need to pull out of my Audi box, but hopefully after all this ill have enough juice to run the black magics and all the other lights on my rack at once without any problems or noise.
Ill keep you all informed of how it goes

Dan

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dan, we are going to try a Mean Green 200 amp alt on a 95 D90. It's a direct bolt in. The MG is around 399 buckaroos. I'll let you know how it works out.

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mean Green.. SWEET

Can you weld with one of those??

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
hamrendan said:
Can you weld with one of those??
Good question, I don't know but I'll find out.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've located a bosch 150amp (0-123-520-006) from a Mercedes... will it work for the swap??? Part # is different from the info page, but that's a 120amp. What is the # on yours?

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Kevin88RRC said:
I've located a bosch 150amp (0-123-520-006) from a Mercedes... will it work for the swap??? Part # is different from the info page, but that's a 120amp. What is the # on yours?

thanks
My part reads....

021-903-025 c

I found it on Car-part.com looked up a 2000 VW eurovan Camper with the 150 amp upgrade.. Bought one from a place in PA for $75.00 plus $15 shipping.. The thing only had 5k miles on it.. I got a SMOKIN deal on this.,. SO good that I didn't post it here until I had confrimation that this part shipped. I see other ones out there for 150 bucks and thats about the going rate.. USED of course..

CHECK OUT THE LINK IN MY ORIGINAL POST!!! you can get plenty of the 120 amp ones .. This one was just too good to pass up, better, newer, cheaper.. if it doesn't work for some reason i am out.... Keep you posted..

Shoot I was just re reading the site again..http://www.geocities.com/erdiaz.rm/Rover/bosch.html
What the hell am i going to use for shims??? 15MM shim ??as in what??
Crap!

PS I just posted My Rovers Info in the show it off portion... Although i still cant seem to get good pictures up on this site.. just the small pics.. ill take some more pics this weekend ..

·
Registered
674 Posts
15MM is way small - try using sheet metal or large washers. Dunno how big the shim needs to be but many options will work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Warning - I investigated upping the alternator on my Chevy Tahoe. Be careful as the wiring harness may not handle additional current.

I hear some aftermarket wiring kits handle more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since I pioneered this swap, I'll show a pic of one of the shims.

This pic shows the mock-up of the rear alternator mounting ear, the 25mm shim.
Also note that in this pic, my shims are: Round stock, nut and a thick washer (I used this only for test fitting).

For the 15mm shim used on the water pump/ upper alternator adjusting bracket, you can use 2 nuts, round stock or stacked washers.
The idea is just to space out the bracket so it doesn't bind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts