Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
does anyone know where i can get some good off road tires that will fit on my 18" rims. I'm thinking i might just have to go and pick up some 16" rims, because i can't find sh!t for 18's. If anyone can help me though, let me know, I would rather not spend the money for new rims if i don't have to since i already have 2 sets. Also, If anyone knows wht the size extremes i can get on the 18's let me know. I have 255/55/18 tires. But can i fit 275/55 or 275/65 or 285/whatever? I am blind on this issue. Thanks!
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
275x55x18 will fit, but 275x65x18 won't. If you can find 285x55's they will also fit, but you may have a problem with your wheel offset in that the tires may stick outside the guards, and unless you have a resonable lift, will invariably get damaged.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
18" Tires

Andrew,
The selection is really poor and the 18" tire doesn't have the side wall that can handle alot of off road use. The biggest problem is when you air dowm, say to 16 to 18's, the side wall rolls out and is prone to getting ripped.
The 16" tires are far better, cheaper, better selection and they have a better ride do to many have a 3 ply sidewall.
Get a good set of 16" wheels and drop on some 265/75/17 BFG MT's or something and go have fun.
Mike J.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them. I haven't found anything better in this bracket. I'd say just buy a set of these from Discount Tire (if you have those there) I cost me around $650 mounted and balanced for the set. They worked great in sand/mud/dry/wet, etc. Haven't had the chance to try them out int he snow yet, but I can't wait! they are about 1000% better then the OEM Good Year Wrangler HP's.. which I can say anything remotely nice about.

<EDIT> I added some pics to show you mine, they have 25K on them.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
Disco said:
If you can find 285x55's they will also fit, but you may have a problem with your wheel offset in that the tires may stick outside the guards, and unless you have a resonable lift, will invariably get damaged.
the 285/55-18 's are 30.34 in
the 265/60-18 's are 30.51 in so i think u need to follow disco's advice.... ide say get a lift or get smaller wheels.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mother Trucker :mad:
so once i finally decided that i was gonna buy 16" rims and trxus tires to put on the rover, i realized that with my new brakes 16's won't fit :bawling: ...so since im stuck with the 18's, im thinking the nitto terra grapplers. They look good to me and i've heard good stuff for them, but how do they perform in mud, which is my specialty? Thanks!
-Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
18" tires

General Tires is an American company, owned by the giant European Continental brand. You can now buy 50/50 on road/off road all-terrain tires called the General Grabber 255/55 R18 AT2. It is also suitable for up to 210kph on tar. It also fits the new Range Rover Sport. It has a nice chunky tread and looks rather good. It however does not fit the Discovery 3. :bawling: It fits almost all other LRs around. :clap:

·
Registered
908 Posts
02disco2 said:
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them. I haven't found anything better in this bracket. I'd say just buy a set of these from Discount Tire (if you have those there) I cost me around $650 mounted and balanced for the set. They worked great in sand/mud/dry/wet, etc. Haven't had the chance to try them out int he snow yet, but I can't wait! they are about 1000% better then the OEM Good Year Wrangler HP's.. which I can say anything remotely nice about.

<EDIT> I added some pics to show you mine, they have 25K on them.
If I use these, can I go to some serious trail ? it looks alike my Wrangler HP (255/55/18) and I don't think I'll go to Rubicon with those on right now.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Choqiees said:
If I use these, can I go to some serious trail ? it looks alike my Wrangler HP (255/55/18) and I don't think I'll go to Rubicon with those on right now.
There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the Terra's and the Wranglers.. Night and Day. Is it going to be the best tire for the Rubicon, absolutley not. Is it going to be better than the Wranglers, absolutley yes.

You obviously saw my pictures above, they do not look anything like the wranglers. Also remember, these are not a lugged mud tire either, they are desgined to be an all-terrain tire. Which means, jack of all trades, master of none. Unless you have the ability and desire to change out your tires for every type of terrain you are going on, all-terrains will work out just fine. The rest is up to the driver, and vehicle of course; but mostly the driver.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
actually Goodyear makes snow tires for the discos now but they aint cheap. We just got word from LR about them.

I do know that Goodyear makes MTR for the RRS and LR3 for the G4 challenge.

But I emailed them about getting them for the general public and they wont do it.

Damn shame. MTRs are good too.

And for RR owners we have approved lists of tires that work. Even on RRS with twentys you can put 18s on. Of course you got buy the rims.

The downside with the new vehicles and the new laws that all vehicles need tire monitors the rims have to have the sensors transfered over or you buy a new set of four at fourty bucks for each one.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
We got that list a few weeks ago. But that was really for RRS and new LR3. ANd to be honest I dont think the Goodyear Snow tires will hold up long in San Diego weather. Until the Mtrs become available try the nittos like they suggested.

The only other thing you could try is Nokia snow tires with studs on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The problem with most off-road-like tires is the thin sidewalls. I only use the BFG T/A KO's for their 3ply sidewalls. What kind of sidewalls do these Nikkos have? Once you've blown one on a mild rock interaction, you won't use skinny rubber anymore.

Too bad Goodyear is so unresponsive to the Land Rover's needs. Especially owners of the Range Rover Sport.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.