Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for tires for my Disco II with the 18" hurricane wheels and want something with a little MEAT. Ive heard BFG started making a 285/65/18. Has anyone used this tire? How is the clearance when articulated? I dont want to swap for 16" wheels. Also, I plan on using 2" spacers to help with clearance. How do the spacers rate? I know springs are the way to go but this Rover is an O4 and I'll leave the fun stuff to my old classic for a while. The bottom line is I'm tired of looking like the average Biff on his cell phone driving his new Disco (sorry Biff). Boy are those guys missing the joy of a Land Rover!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
I second the Nitto's, as I run them myself!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
The noise is reduced about 50% compared to the GoodYear Wrangler HP's that were OEM. They work great on dry, wet, sand, dirt, and mud without sacrificing on road characteristics. I only have about 6K on them now but they appear to be wearing very slowly, which is great.

BTW, I'm running OEM sizing of 255.50.18 and they appear to be a tad wider than the Goodyears as well.

· Banned
527 Posts
02disco2 said:
The noise is reduced about 50% compared to the GoodYear Wrangler HP's that were OEM. They work great on dry, wet, sand, dirt, and mud without sacrificing on road characteristics. I only have about 6K on them now but they appear to be wearing very slowly, which is great.

BTW, I'm running OEM sizing of 255.50.18 and they appear to be a tad wider than the Goodyears as well.
Terra Grappler or Mud Grappler?

· Truth > Freedom
572 Posts
I'm assuming Terra...?

How are they on durability? Any issues with punctures?

I've had nothing but problems with the OEM "Good"Years. I'm assuming it's an inherent problem with GY, as I've had the same problems with both my Jeep and Ford before this. Bridgestone doesn't make a Dueler that will fit the stock setup... :(

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
capnkerr said:
I'm looking for tires for my Disco II with the 18" hurricane wheels and want something with a little MEAT. Ive heard BFG started making a 285/65/18. Has anyone used this tire? How is the clearance when articulated? I dont want to swap for 16" wheels. Also, I plan on using 2" spacers to help with clearance. How do the spacers rate? I know springs are the way to go but this Rover is an O4 and I'll leave the fun stuff to my old classic for a while. The bottom line is I'm tired of looking like the average Biff on his cell phone driving his new Disco (sorry Biff). Boy are those guys missing the joy of a Land Rover!
If you do any off-roading, the more you get into it the more you may regret adding spacers to stock suspension to clear 285's on 18" wheels. Not trying to be a jackass at all here,,,just a suggestion as it sucks to look back & say "man I wish I hadn't spent that money". 16's will give you far better off-road performance while still keeping you solid on-road. Your tire selection will be much, much larger. The spacers will help you clear larger meats but won't really add to your suspension performance. I realize it's more expensive to change wheels, springs, & shocks,,,but in the long run you will be much happier. If you don't off-road, pls ignore this advice. :) :wave: :drink1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.