Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing the OEM 15" wheels that came om my 04 Freelander...

I really don't want to compromise the off-road capabilities, and thought that 18" wheels are the way to go...

Could anyone recommend a good 18" and tyre combo???

Also looking at freeing up some the restriction on the airbox... Has anyone had any experience installing either a RAM or Cold Air Intake on the 2.5L V6?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
If you get into serious off-roading you are gonna want to keep the smaller rims..... 18's are great for the street or for 49" tires but for what will fit on your rig stay with the 15's... The size gives you more choice in tires, cheaper, and when you air down the tries will have more rubber to surface to hug those stubborn rocks. On my parents RR we run Toyo or Perelli, both have held up great, but we don't go crazy with that rig. Those 18's are pricey tires

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
agree w/ funrover on this one.

When it comes to getting off the road you are really going to want those 15"'s. Airing down (though not necessary-because ive never had the practical means to reinflate 4 aired down tires) will only really be possible with higher profile tires. The distance from the ground to the rim is too short with the low profile ones and aired down or not, you will probably end up destroying those nice expensive 18"ers on trails.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with the above posts - if you go to 18" wheels you will have to go low profile rubber which will not work well offroad. You could go 18" to pose on the road but keep your old wheels with chunky offroad tyres for offroad work.

If you so go another set of wheels for both uses - go 16" as fitted to later freelanders. While the US might still be into 15" wheels and rubber for offroad work, the rest of the world has moved to 16". In Aust all the decent offroad tyres are 16". - 15" rubber is available but they have poor load ratings compared to 16" rubber.

Garry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.