Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Anyone here know the colour coding for the indicator/hazzard electronic relay in a 1985 90. (its the blue 4 pin type) I took all the wires out of the plug and am not confident that I put them back in right. I dont want to do trial and error with a new relay and end up blowing it up.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Marcus, I have scanned the schematic 3 times from my manual, but cannot get it small enough (97kb) to upload.
In their typically pityfull manner of publishing they failed to show any pin numbers or configuration of the flasher unit, however they show a complete schematic of the flasher unit itself, which is basically pretty useless, unless you wanted to bust open the case. they don't show the pin numbers on the IC, so it's pretty much impossible to trace.

Hope this helps:
B (black wire) connects to the junction of transistor emitor and IC.
LGN (light green/brown) to open contact of relay
LG (light green) to junction of coil, contact and IC
LGP(light green/pink) to trailer light from only connection to IC that goes nowhere but out.

If you want to just use your indicators for the time being, a two pin conventional flasher between the LG and LGN will work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Not sure if that will help me yet untill I finish work and go have a look. Is there any chance you could draw a line drawing showing the pin position and the colour of wire going to each?

I tried a conventional flasher but it lasted about 10 flashes. It was a standard 5 watt unit and the LAndrover ones require about 140watts of something.

Thanks again though...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help but none of that seems to correspond to what I'm looking at. Maybe I'm being dumb :dunno:

On the bottom of my relay I have 4 pins and they are orientated and marked as follows;

top, vertical - C2
left, vertical - 49
right, vertical - 31
bottom, horizontal - 49a

The relay is also a 2+1x21W , 6x21W and is the blue type.

Any chance you could see which colour wire goes to which pin.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've managed to get the relay wired up corretly and the indicators are working now.

I only mnanaged to make them work though by taking the two spades off the hazzard light switch. I've got no idea what they are for but it seems to have fixed the problem.

After doing this though, the rover wouldnt start (felt like flat battery) then after a load of looking for problems (but not fixing anything) it decided the battery was ok and it started. Then the indicator wouldnt work then after unscrewing the hazzard light switch (but not doing anything to it) they worked again. :dunno: So I put it all back together and al the lights work as they should but then I noticed the ignition coil is getting really hot. I've started a new thread about that now :complain:

I should also add that the main cranking battery wont hold a charge (havnt looked into why but its brand new!.. So whenever I start the vehicle I'me using the secondary battery that is normally running the cool box, CB, interior lights etc..

I have no idea how to get to the bottom of an electrical problem like this but I dont want to take it to a garage cos they can charge what they like even if it only took them 2 mins to find the problem.!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indicators stopped again seconds after writing this post. Took the hazzards switch out (the brand new one) and found that its faulty. If you wiggle it the indicators would work.

So I put the two wires (spades) back on and all is working fine now.

Apart from the fact that now my batteries are flat and I cant start it!! :complain:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.