·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I own a 1985 Defender with a 2.5 NA diesel engine
and I been having problems starting the vehicle for the first time,
doesn't matter what time or weather conditions,
the rover will crank for over two minutes before starting, and with lots of white & later black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe.

I think I have found the problem
but I'm not sure yet but I would like to run this with you guy's just in case I got it all wrong.

if you see the photo below the last glow plug #4 near the bulkhead/header does not have a power wire going in to it.
Its looks like all Four glow plugs are conected to each other but no power going in to activate them.

could you please advise me how is the wiring set up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am sorry no one responded to your post. I have a 2.5NA and the wiring runs from the glow plug timer relay to the cylinder nearest the bulkhead first. So yes you are correct, your glow plugs are not connected to anything. I'm sure you have already figured this out though..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jofher00,
Arles 88 is correct. The glow plugs are connected at the back of the engine (next to the firewall) and are grounded by the engine block. Are you giving the plugs a good 15-25 seconds to heat up? I got spoiled by my VW Golf diesel and how quick the glow plugs were 'ready' to start the engine.
My glow plug wire is the yellow one in the photo below. I just restarted the engine yesterday after a rebuild.
It is great to find a couple of folks who have a 2.5 N/A diesel on this side of the Atlantic.
Cheers,
C

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts