Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're drying out here in Oregon, and I wonder if this spring I should remove the duct tape over the sunroof (w/o the tape there are major leaks) and get the thing working? I'm not sure why it doesn't work (wasn't operable when I bought the car 8 months ago). Anyone have any ideas on where to start? Used parts? Thanks. ps...I'm not mechanically inclined so I'd have to pay someone to do this for me.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I would not count on duct tape to keep me dry. I would get it fixed. But if you don't do the work yourself it might be pricey.

Have you checked the fuse?
Does the window move at all?
Is it just a faulty seal?

·
Registered
232 Posts
umm i fixed my leaky sunroof and i paid 5 dollars for some new weather stripping to replace the gasket from the sunroof assembly to the sheet metal on the roof of the car. Take off the headliner and take off the 6-8 screws and lower the assembly....

Im 16 and did the process in two hours so go for it!

·
Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
Replacing the weather stripping seal on the sunroof is easy, duct tape is NOT the way to go. That being said, my sunroof doesn't leak a drop, but doesn't work either, but that's cause I'm too cheap to buy a new motor!

·
huge Member
175 Posts
drain ports

We're drying out here in Oregon, and I wonder if this spring I should remove the duct tape over the sunroof (w/o the tape there are major leaks) and get the thing working? I'm not sure why it doesn't work (wasn't operable when I bought the car 8 months ago). Anyone have any ideas on where to start? Used parts? Thanks. ps...I'm not mechanically inclined so I'd have to pay someone to do this for me.
That strip around the sunroof will leak slightly, Its made to keep MOST of the water out. The drain tubes let it out the bottom of the truck. Make sure there not plugged before you replace anything.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fixing should take care of the sunroof for the rest of the truck's life with you. That's how I sometimes justify paying for parts or labor for broken bits that are not critical to fix.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You need to do some more investigating as to why it is not working. Like the Wise Okie has asked "Does it move at all?" If it was not operable when purchased, does it appear to be closed & flush with the roof? You can operate it manually by accessing the motor under the interior light which is also where the relay is.

After reading your post the other day, it made my sunroof act up also. Kind of jammed in a semi closed position then died fully open. I was lucky cause it turned out to be the switch (which is the same as the window switches). Since I was in there already I cleaned & lubed the track with a silicon spray. Very smooth operation now.

You say you are not mechanically inclined but there is no better time to start learning especially while owning a RRC!

·
Registered
218 Posts
The sunroof on my 1990 was leaking due to a clogged left rear drain tube and the front right drain tube. Shame too that it was that simple because somewhere along the idiot previous owner history, they siliconed the sunroof shut....so now I have to get all that silicone off, etc.

But the sunroof works just fine. I still get some leaking at the back of the seal, because of the silicone (which I cut through).......

I'd fix it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our truck's sunroof is watertight, even here in Oregon. I've had a couple of other cars with leaky sunroof seals, and they are no fun when it is still raining. One car, a Saab 900S, had a plugged drain tube, and another that had pulled off the sunroof tub. I taped that sunroof closed each fall, and only opened it up in late June. The other was an otherwise nice Taurus wagon with a glass moonroof. Its rubber seal leaked, but the drain tubes worked flawlessly. I replaced the seal around the moonroof, but it still leaked slightly, generally right onto my right shoulder as I drove. We sold that car when we bought the Range Rover.

If you're looking for good tape, there is some aluminum foil tape used for repairing aluminum canoes that works very well. I've sealed rusted-out portions of my Triumph Spitfire's trunk lid with it, and I used it on my old Saab. Unlike duct tape, it will last all winter without needing to be replaced.

If the sunroof motor won't work, the job ahead of you is the usual Lucas troubleshooting routine. Check wiring connetors, clean them, spray them with silicon sealant, and check that the circuits conduct electricity without undue resistance. If the motor won't turn, there are lots in old Range Rovers in junk yards all over the Willamette Valley. Remember to oil or grease the cables. All the adjustments are spelled out in the RAVE manual.

Good luck,
Scott

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Please tell me whats going on with your sunroof.

I can walk you through the process. These Sunroofs are manufactured by Webasto, your lucky they still make repair parts for these roofs unlike many other sunroof manufactures that went out of business years ago.

I can provide you with the parts as well as the knowledge to resolve this issue, no special tools needed

Let me know how i can help in any way. Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please tell me whats going on with your sunroof.

I can walk you through the process. These Sunroofs are manufactured by Webasto, your lucky they still make repair parts for these roofs unlike many other sunroof manufactures that went out of business years ago.

I can provide you with the parts as well as the knowledge to resolve this issue, no special tools needed

Let me know how i can help in any way. Bill
If this thread is still valid, which Webasto Sunroof does my 91 RRC have? I need the plastic bits in the guides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts