Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the previous owner hacked the wiring installing a Sony cd player. I am in the process of replacing it with a Pioneer 4 channel but I have 2 speakers in each door plus the two in the rear. I know enough about car stereo that you shouldn't wire speakers in parallel or series or it changes the ohm load or reduces the power to the speakers...How were these wired? Was the amp in the factory radio or separate? I can not find a diagram anywhere and I hate to rip everything out and start over but I will if I have to. Have Rockford Fosgate punch 6.5"components on the way figure I can fit the tweeter on or in the mirror back or top of door and 4" in the doors upper spot and rear then use an amp and 10" fit into the rear side to fill it out but I may have to run another amp to run the other 6 speakers if I can't figure this stock set up out. Deck is 50/22 x 4 so enough to run the 60/30 speakers fine if just 4... I may have to just not connect the 4" in the doors as the 6.5 components might be good enough by thethemselves....anyone?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did my '90 stereo some years ago. The factory head unit did not have speaker outputs. There is an amp underneath the center console that powers the front speakers. There's another amp next to the subwoofer that powers the subwoofer and rear speakers. I ended up just running new speaker wires throughout the whole vehicle. I wanted a better gauge of wire and a clear path point to point I could trust.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that...big mess to figure out unless I just rewire the entire truck which maybe is what I need to do now. Still need to find wires for batt ign ground illumination dimmer ect...

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
It seems that the speakers on '90 RRC are coming out directly from the head unit, the diagrams are not the best but that's all you can get for that modell , download this http://www.lrocb.be/LR_Doc/RRC/RR_RRC_WSM_1992.pdf and see page 923 position 124

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time chasing around the wires. The diagrams are on here in several threads. I spent days chasing around the factory wires on my 91, but they change color outbound from the amps and the factory amps are pathetic anyway. I've installed many car stereos in my time and it honestly it much easier just rewiring and running new lines to the head unit. I kept the factory ground, remote (purple and yellow) and factory battery. I couldn't find any ignition lines working (cig lighters are blown). I ran my yellow ign constant to a 15 amp fuse in my panel that maintains constant power per the back of the 91 owners manual. Turned out super clean and super easy.

My setup:

Front: Ran new wires through doors and behind the kick panels and under the bottom of the dash.
Rear: Ran new wires from upper rear window panel and down under factory amp location carefully tying them up out of sight then along rear wheels and under passenger carpet. You can run them under the rear seat carpets right up with existing factory harness that is hidden underneath and goes right under the center console. Again clean and simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts