Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Again Everyone (You said I would be back, didn't you?),

On the way back home this afternoon I filled up the Rover, all the way to the brim, then jaunt back home. After cutting off the engine and flipping the kill switch (that electrical drain will wait for another time), I noticed a rather steady leak coming from the tank. I checked the fuel pump and it was dry, and the connection from the filler also seemed dry. The fuel seemed to be gathering at the top-rear of the tank on the passenger side. (I do park it on an incline). After this problem solving and some cleaning up of the dripped fuel, I had realized that the leak had slowed noticebly to a drop every few minutes. Any suggestions before I go radical and empty and drop the fuel tank?

Much Thanks

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Update: The leak seems to have stopped completely now. So it seems this only happens when tank is brimmed.
You will find that it is one of the breather hoses for the tank, or the filler breather hose. They deteriorate over time. As the breathers are at the top of the tank, they will only leak when the tank is full, parked on an incline, or going around a corner.
You should fix it as it is a fire hazard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK another quick update the fuel filler and breather lines on the passenger side are dry and show no signs of leaking. The pooling of the fuel seems to be where the fuel lines enter the tank and from the leaking patterns it seems to be only the rear. I've attached an image where it shows where the fuel is pooling (red) and the filler and breather hoses, which are leak free (green). Also, checked the tank and it is a '92 so eligible for the tank recall.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.